Auckland Sunset

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
NZstorm

Auckland Sunset

Unread post by NZstorm »

A veil of high cloud (caused by 150kt Jet Stream) persisted over AK all day. With skies clear in the far west, it made for a colouful sunset today.

Manukau heads obs
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

what is really neat is how the sunset shows up all the detail/structure of the cirrus cloud that is not visible during the day :)
i had the mother in law outside, and i was trying to explain to her what a jet stream was....she just kept on nodding her head, LOL, just to keep me happy i guess
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
Gary Roberts

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

Manukau heads observer wrote:what is really neat is how the sunset shows up all the detail/structure of the cirrus cloud that is not visible during the day :)
i had the mother in law outside, and i was trying to explain to her what a jet stream was....she just kept on nodding her head, LOL, just to keep me happy i guess
Amazing isn't it? Stuff that drives us almost insane with excitement has others barely stifling their yawns. But it cuts both ways: I'd rather have Ebola than watch, say, New Zealand Idol.

My Japanese mother-in-law was here a couple of months back. We deliberately timed it so that we could bring her down from Christchurch through the MacKenzie during the golden hour. She never stopped talking, and if we pointed out, say, the sunset reflecting off the lake, she'd pause for a brief instant, look a little puzzled (as if to say, "Huh?"), then return to her marathon chat. Lovely woman, but she just doesn't get it! :-)

Who cares? While they sit in front of Shortland Street, we're out glissading!
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Cool Steve, that lowering sun is really illuminating the underside of that cirrus well. :)

This is the best I can offer at present:

Photo taken on 2nd May 04 at 6:00pm looking from Southshore towards Chch City / the Alps

This one I took a few weeks back!!
Aaron Wilkinson
C-Nimbus

Unread post by C-Nimbus »

awesome photos guys.

NZStorm you must be close to where we live, cos i swear that photo was taken in my back yard!! (are you the hooded youth that hangs around on his BMX waiting to break into houses?!!!!)

But yeah, I know what you guys mean, alot of people just think were a bunch a nutters, looking up at clouds all day. My answer to this kind of thing is simple, if people new of the shear magnitude of the dynamics involved even in a simple jetstream then maybe they will appreciate mother nature at her finest.

Even my partner is getting enthused with weather now. She told me the other day that she saw glaciated anvils on T/S!!

Fantastic!
Fujita Phil

Unread post by Fujita Phil »

Not my best shot, but running out to work this morning the sky offered me this...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.