Even Deeper Subtropical Low - May 23-27

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Dean.

Re: Even Deeper Subtropical Low - May 23-27

Unread post by Dean. »

Top of the Rakaia gorge on the southern side is around 500 metres,always a good chance of snow there in these conditions.Notice the radar is picking up more activity from the SE now as that cloud band gets closer.
Will be quite a bit of snow action inland overnight!,as per the forecast.
Just had a heavy sleet shower here dropping the temp to 3.4 degrees.
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Anyone else watching that cloud band curving onto eastern Otago at the moment and seeing a new low centre forming in there? Could bring a compression of the airflow overnight along the east coast, deflecting that cloud band northwards. Which would mean gales and a risk of heavy snow along the coast rather than inland. I'd be picking Otago peninsula and Banks Peninsula could be in for a significant event.
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

TM members report a brief but light snow shower in Temuka and Timaru in the last half an hour, not sure how high those towns are but I know they are not as high as Ashburton.
Getting more of a chain shower affect now here, with showers becomg more frequent and thrown in sleet also.
Temperature dropping as expected down to 5.5C now, dropping quite quickly actually.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
MoorfNZ
Location: (300m asl) Waddington, inland mid-Canterbury, New Zealand

Unread post by MoorfNZ »

Looks like you're getting more precipitation nearer to coast than here inland - hasn't rained here for a while now but very very cold....
CHCH Weather Chaser
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by CHCH Weather Chaser »

7mm of rain here today after 63mm yesterday. Occassional graupel/hail showers thoughout the day. It does look like the band to the SE is starting to try and form together. I havent really thought too much of this as being a snow event but given proceedings with temperatures I am now a little more interested. I think we may see some sleety showers this evening with a coating at the top of the hills. It has been 4 degrees here so of the afternoon and with a squall going through even less at times. Our best chance is late tonight when the band becomes heavier and more persistent. Rain totals will be much greater tomorrow and into Saturday however snow levels will be higher around 6-700m by then.
Also something interesting I have just picked up on, showers in westport in the last hour and just 5 degrees there!
Reporting Live from Southern Christchurch
Leighton Thomas

2014 Rainfall: Jan: 21mm Feb: 76mm March: 170mm April: 201mm YTD: 468mm
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

TonyT wrote:Anyone else watching that cloud band curving onto eastern Otago at the moment and seeing a new low centre forming in there? Could bring a compression of the airflow overnight along the east coast, deflecting that cloud band northwards. Which would mean gales and a risk of heavy snow along the coast rather than inland. I'd be picking Otago peninsula and Banks Peninsula could be in for a significant event.
Yer i have and its been so interesting too,the other area that's been of interest today has been over Nth Cant and Marlborough where a southerly flow and along with some isolated heavy hail showers has being converging with area of cloud and lighter rain moving SE,but its the also fact that that area has remanded stationary that has me thinking :-k .

I agree with ya Tony, something is brewing out there,it has that look about it .
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Yes Richard, there's clearly a new low centre developing east of Otago, but there's also some circulation over Nelson/Marlborough which suggests a low centre developing there also. Bring the two together later in the night around dawn tomorrow and the results could be interesting (to say the least) off the Canterbury coast.
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

TonyT wrote:Yes Richard, there's clearly a new low centre developing east of Otago, but there's also some circulation over Nelson/Marlborough which suggests a low centre developing there also. Bring the two together later in the night around dawn tomorrow and the results could be interesting (to say the least) off the Canterbury coast.
Can i see myself hopping out of bed a few times during the night and running to grab the TV remote \:D/
Kimkliff

Unread post by Kimkliff »

Currently 6 degrees at Carters Beach, but has been as low as 5. Apparently a lot of snow up at Stockton during the day. Very very bleak for the West Coast.
Weetbicks

Unread post by Weetbicks »

Richard wrote:Can i see myself hopping out of bed a few times during the night and running to grab the TV remote \:D/
That's dedication right there !
Storm Struck

Tony the 6pm radar shows a widespread lighter patch of rain moving in from the south out to sea off the South Canterbury coast, is this the developing low you are referring to?.
I am thinking the high to the lower south is going to get squeezed and shoved abit further back towards Australia, not by much but enough to help another low develope.
I like the way the crop showers as i call it have changed a path direction of more W-SW now.

Had to laugh on the news just before they said the porters pass east of Christchurch is now closed due to snow, didnt know we had mountains out to sea :lol: .
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

Weetbicks wrote:
Richard wrote:Can i see myself hopping out of bed a few times during the night and running to grab the TV remote \:D/
That's dedication right there !
Thanks,its gota be done A ;) ,after all we've had a few months of boring weather havn't we!
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

Kimkliff wrote:Currently 6 degrees at Carters Beach, but has been as low as 5. Apparently a lot of snow up at Stockton during the day. Very very bleak for the West Coast.
I noticed that it had been that cold over your way all day,its not often that its as cold as this side in a southerly flow
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

Richard wrote:
Kimkliff wrote:Currently 6 degrees at Carters Beach, but has been as low as 5. Apparently a lot of snow up at Stockton during the day. Very very bleak for the West Coast.
I noticed that it had been that cold over your way all day,its not often that its as cold as this side in a southerly flow
I see "Jim "just said the high in Westport was 13 ??????
Kimkliff

Unread post by Kimkliff »

It did get to a high of 13 degrees today - that was before the sh*t set in this afternoon. Even my Vantage Vue agrees with Jim ;-) - just checking the weather station our high was at 5:16 am \:D/ and our low was reached at 3:22 pm.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

00ZGFS suggests the heaviest precip will fall over east Otago. Certainly a good snowfall on the way and I would not be surprised if snow levels are quite low around dawn tomorrow before lifting gradually tomorrow with the warming airmass. But its a complex weather set up and no doubt some surprises in store!
Last edited by NZstorm on Thu 27/05/2010 18:40, edited 1 time in total.
Classicford

Unread post by Classicford »

Hmmmm, this could be interesting??
Cheers,
Brendon.
Waimate, South Canterbury.
LittleTreeHouse

Unread post by LittleTreeHouse »

oh exciting...closer to the coast is ME! Kids get me up at least two or three times during the night - will have to peak out the windows!
snowstormwatcher

Unread post by snowstormwatcher »

I cant see the amounts of snow forcast by metservice eventuating. Down to 0 degrees here with a mainly clear sky just a few passing clouds.
MoorfNZ
Location: (300m asl) Waddington, inland mid-Canterbury, New Zealand

Unread post by MoorfNZ »

Still no rain although had a flurry of sleet/snow half an hour ago, temp has just gone slightly below 3degs on the thermometer and little wind.
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

defintely looks to be firing up off the rain radar, although dare I say it the Banks peninsula shadow effect may channel the action away from the snow mad city folk of ChCh.....
Christchurch Rocks
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

This low in some way is still having an effect on the SI eastcoast being part of a complex system to enhance the cold air and tightening of the isobars there.
gllitz

Unread post by gllitz »

Here ya go, Jase (and everyone else who is interested!):

http://ready.arl.noaa.gov/READYcmet.php
"Saru mo ki kara ochiru"
Storm Struck

That link still doesnt want to work for me, comes up with an internal server error and it never used to do that.
I type in NZCH go to metrogram in the hour drop down, and then thats when i strike the problem no further.
4.5C now and slowly dropping, getting some more sleetier showers now with nice big drops in them brrrrr.
Classicford

Unread post by Classicford »

Is it sleeting outside now jase?
Cheers,
Brendon.
Waimate, South Canterbury.