General June Weather

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Michael
Has thanked: 0

Re: General June Weather

Unread post by Michael »

havent mowed my lawns over 2 months now,wonder if the mower will start :lol: not too long but nice and green plus has the advantage of catching the leaves stop them blowing around but will soon need a winter trim before spring.
Dale Small wrote:Miserable morning lol.. I just get a hold of the lawnmower & it rains all night ppft. Just got a very low cloudbase & fog here right now, vis <1km.
Wildland

Unread post by Wildland »

Gloomy here in Tawa this morning.
Low cloud and the valley is filled with fog which is just starting to thin.
16 mm since 7:30 a.m.
David

Unread post by David »

GFS for next weekend looks wild with a deep low jammed against a big fat high.
But probably just an abnormal output, like last time it showed something like this.... :rolleyes:
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Looks very La nina.
David wrote:GFS for next weekend looks wild with a deep low jammed against a big fat high.
But probably just an abnormal output, like last time it showed something like this.... :rolleyes:
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

David wrote:GFS for next weekend looks wild with a deep low jammed against a big fat high.
That does look good. Would be a whole heap more flooding if something even remotely similar to that occurs which is not good. With just 30mm in 12 hours the drains around here are up to the tops. BOP is much more sodden than we are so they are prime for flooding.
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

Captain Salty wrote:IIRC it got to about 23 in june 98. the same day the wallabies arrived for a test match
Hmm... according to this site, the Chch Bledisloe Cup/Tri Nations game in 1998 was on Aug 1 and also the last time the Wallabies won in Chch with a score of 27-23.

Chch Aero's highest ever June temp of 22.5C was recorded in 1988 and its second highest was 22.0C in 1976. Chch Gardens highest ever June temp of 22.5C was also recorded in 1976, with its second highest being 22.3C in 1999.
Captain Salty

Unread post by Captain Salty »

it was prehaps the 29th of july when they flew in here, which was 21C.
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Interesting driving to work this morning at half past 7, drove through a gust front moving through Canterbury which stretched from Banks Peninnsula to the Foothills.
Southerly wind change with strong gusts and rain, even sleet when i arrived at work.
Someone at work said there was brief snow flakes in Oxford this morning as they left to drop thier kids off, so the snow level was certainly not around the predicted 600m mark.
Oxford township is roughly 256m and at work would be 250m.
So i would say there will be snow up there on Wednesday/Thursday.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
tich

Unread post by tich »

Long period of cold, driving rain on BP this morning (as I noted earlier on other thread), but eased late morning, then cleared to fine in afternoon. Light dusting of snow above about 600m on some hills quickly melted in afternoon.
melja

Unread post by melja »

No snow in Te Anau or rain just a bit of wind overnight, fine day on the drive to Qtown and still warm for down here with it 3C at the coronet peak carpark and 10C in Qtown.
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

melja wrote:No snow in Te Anau or rain just a bit of wind overnight, fine day on the drive to Qtown and still warm for down here with it 3C at the coronet peak carpark and 10C in Qtown.
Hey. Where are you of to tomorrow? :-)
melja

Unread post by melja »

Your home town or maybe makarora, then through the haast if its open on wednesday to people towing caravans :eek: after the forcast snow.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Good example of "Anticyclonic Gloom" today here in Canterbury with dull overcast skies, constant drizzle showers now and then, hardly any wind and the barometer sitting at 1036hPa 8-o

JohnGaul
NZThS
JohnGaul
NZThS
Tim S
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Tim S »

Not a bad day down here in Nelson, after a few cloudy cool days, today was a nice 15C with quite a bit of sun and a heap of rainbows. I think I have seen more rainbows here since I arrived than I have in Perth in the last 10 years. Although I suspect some of them are the same rainbow as some have lasted well over an hour!

A massive 3mm in the gauge from yesterdays front. I splurged out on a mitre 10 mega super special rain gauge so I'll be able to track rain fall at our place until I get a proper station. :mrgreen:
Storm Struck

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:Good example of "Anticyclonic Gloom" today here in Canterbury with dull overcast skies, constant drizzle showers now and then, hardly any wind and the barometer sitting at 1036hPa 8-o

JohnGaul
NZThS
Interesting wasnt it, light rain/drizzle all day at work and when i was going home i got to about just before Swananoa and the rain stopped followed by some sunny breaks.
Looking back inland from Kaiapoi looked rather dark grey with a wall broken off inland.
CHCH Weather Chaser

Unread post by CHCH Weather Chaser »

Overcast morning again. Although yesterday we had no drizzle here at all from dawn and looking at the radar it seems to have all disappeared. Also this weekend looking like could even be dry at the moment with very little moisture. I think metservice need to change Christchurch forecast for next day or two as often cloudy with a drizzle patch possible rather than 'drizzle'. 0.5mm yesterday. I think Blue skies will revise their 20-50mm total for the weekend down considerably today.
Reporting Live from Southern Christchurch
Leighton Thomas

2014 Rainfall: Jan: 21mm Feb: 76mm March: 170mm April: 201mm YTD: 468mm
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

CHCH Weather Chaser wrote:Overcast morning again. Although yesterday we had no drizzle here at all from dawn and looking at the radar it seems to have all disappeared. Also this weekend looking like could even be dry at the moment with very little moisture. I think metservice need to change Christchurch forecast for next day or two as often cloudy with a drizzle patch possible rather than 'drizzle'. 0.5mm yesterday. I think Blue skies will revise their 20-50mm total for the weekend down considerably today.
On what basis to you say this? Models look pretty hard to call to me
Christchurch Rocks
snowstormwatcher

Unread post by snowstormwatcher »

Overcast and cool/cold here high of 5 degrees so far today. Heavy drizzle overnight has washed any remaining snow patches below 500m away.
Storm Struck

Not to point fingers too sharply, but i think he bases this on the model run outputs from METVUW MSLP maps.
I tend to find METVUW the less unreliable when it comes to model output forecasts, as it changes too much and too over the show.
Generally what i do is look at several GFS maps from different providers, for example another one is the WZ one and can often compare them with others.
Most of them match up and show a simular pattern of weather, where as METVUW doesnt as much.
I think tomorrow afternoon/evening we will see some steady rain with snow around the 400-500m mark especially west of the Foothills in the higher valleys and basins.
It might be a case of occasional showers in Christchurch being a SE flow with the Peninnsula shadowing it, but the rest of Canterbury especailly from Ashburton northwards should see decent falls.
In the press today it said parts of North Canterbury had heavy rain yesterday, with up to 80mm recorded not sure exactly where but thats a fair lot.
CHCH Weather Chaser

Jasestorm wrote:Not to point fingers too sharply, but i think he bases this on the model run outputs from METVUW MSLP maps.
I tend to find METVUW the less unreliable when it comes to model output forecasts, as it changes too much and too over the show.
Generally what i do is look at several GFS maps from different providers, for example another one is the WZ one and can often compare them with others.
Most of them match up and show a simular pattern of weather, where as METVUW doesnt as much.
I think tomorrow afternoon/evening we will see some steady rain with snow around the 400-500m mark especially west of the Foothills in the higher valleys and basins.
It might be a case of occasional showers in Christchurch being a SE flow with the Peninnsula shadowing it, but the rest of Canterbury especailly from Ashburton northwards should see decent falls.
In the press today it said parts of North Canterbury had heavy rain yesterday, with up to 80mm recorded not sure exactly where but thats a fair lot.
I follow and base a lot of my thoughts from the GFS. I find this by far the most accurate personally. Looking at the forecast today I would say that a forecast of 'often cloudy, drizzle patch possible' would be more accurate than just 'drizzle'. Anyways, Looking like a high may dominate out weather after the weekend for a few days.
Leighton Thomas

Storm Struck

Yeah no hard feelings just thought thats what you might of been referring to :-) .
Interesting cloud forms around this afternoon, the sun actually came out around lunchtime and got rather warm in the glasshouse i was in.
Then some light showers from afternoon and low level CU here and there.
Full moon tonight 8-o and just after the shortest day/soltice, could be a big qauke on the cards again somewhere around the globe maybe Indonesia :B .
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Yes, there were some interesting clouds around here, especially when we have a high surface barometer pressure of 1030hpa plus. :smile:
Although,an 'anticyclonic gloom' situation does persist with occasional drizzle showers, especially around the back of BP this afternoon with a nice rainbow observed around 1:30pm.we seem to get the rubbish with this anticyclone.
The weather in Southland, Fiordland and the West Coast must be nice at the moment.

JohnGaul
NZThS
JohnGaul
NZThS
CHCH Weather Chaser

Steady drizzle here for the past 2 hours. By far the most precipitation over the last couple of days. Water sitting on the surface of the grass again down the back of the backyard.
Leighton Thomas

CHCH Weather Chaser

Jasestorm wrote:Yeah no hard feelings just thought thats what you might of been referring to :-) .
Interesting cloud forms around this afternoon, the sun actually came out around lunchtime and got rather warm in the glasshouse i was in.
Then some light showers from afternoon and low level CU here and there.
Full moon tonight 8-o and just after the shortest day/soltice, could be a big qauke on the cards again somewhere around the globe maybe Indonesia :B .
:lol: dont worry I didnt take any offence. Ofcourse no hard feelings ;)
Leighton Thomas

David

Unread post by David »

Nice sunset in Auckland this evening :smile:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.