"antarctic blast of June 12/15th?"...

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Re: "antarctic blast of June 12/13th?"...

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Nice looking clouds this afternoon coming in from the south from 1pm. They looked like what I call 'Shaft' clouds, heavy looking virga things. Nothing here except a shower than dropped an incredidble 0.1mm in about 5 minutes then some isolated heavy drops fell down, which made me rush to the window 8-o
To the east I saw some "Coldies" but then as there was nothing sferical on the radio, I lost interest in them.
Not cold now as compared to last night at the same time. :-(

JohnGaul
NZThS
JohnGaul
NZThS
melja
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by melja »

Jasestorm wrote:The flow does turn more tonight if you look at the forecast maps, i was expecting this sort of thing with the front anyway.
Just had a few large drops here closer to cust than anything, but certainly some instability about with scatterd CU tops going through.
Down to 10C now from 12C at 2pm, tonight will be interesting once the upper flow moves more onshore.
Reason i say that is look at the Southland radar, quite busy down there with shower activity so once the chain showers get established here could be quite an interesting night.
I dont think it will be an interesting night at all :wave: its SW, its not going to be S, and its not going to move onshore.
Well thats my thoughts anyway.
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

So whats the 6pm radar doing then? some heavy showers coming up even a pinch of red in there.
Steven Grahams tracker has picked up a few strikes too, not sure how accurate it is though.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
gllitz
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by gllitz »

My wife just called from Sydenham and said a pretty impressive hailstorm just passed through... ;-)
"Saru mo ki kara ochiru"
frosty

Unread post by frosty »

currently blowing a gail rain and hail hitting the windows on the south side =D>
Weetbicks

Unread post by Weetbicks »

Hail here in Merivale, lasted about a minute.
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

Just had a hail shower here, photo from this afternoon of approaching southerly front.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Nice hail shower here now :D

JohnGaul
NZThS
JohnGaul
NZThS
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

03Stormchaser wrote:Just had a hail shower here, photo from 3pm this afternoon of approaching southerly front.

Was that the one that Jim Hickey had on the weather this evening?

JohnGaul
NZThS
JohnGaul
NZThS
tich

Unread post by tich »

Showers became heavy by about 3.30pm out near Akaroa, but were confined to outer BP as I was coing back soon afterwards. But we've just had hail in central Chch a few minutes ago.
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:
03Stormchaser wrote:Just had a hail shower here, photo from 3pm this afternoon of approaching southerly front.

Was that the one that Jim Hickey had on the weather this evening?

JohnGaul
NZThS
haha :lol: yeah it was
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Wellington will cop it tonight with the flow going southerly everywhere then.
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Nice shower past over here with some small hail/soft pellets thrown in briefly.
Southerly gusting to gale force also, looks like another good one coming going by the 7pm radar its right over Christchurch at the moment.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

Heavy stuff mostly east of us,gusty wind and the odd spit of rain.
melja

Unread post by melja »

Jasestorm wrote:So whats the 6pm radar doing then? some heavy showers coming up even a pinch of red in there.
Steven Grahams tracker has picked up a few strikes too, not sure how accurate it is though.
I was meaning here in rangiora, just to far north and a wee bit inland.
Talbotm

Unread post by Talbotm »

Nev If you read my post i said forecasters meaning weather watch in this instance and Yes they did have forecast for snow last night to 200m in wellington. You need to check you facts before putting posts up that dont stack up please. They even went to the point of mentioning surburbs such as Karori, Johnsonville which i might point out is only 150asl and north upperhutt.

Here is the actual Weatherwatch Forecast for yourself from yesterday afternoon.

Weather Watch
Our somewhat weak wintry blast continues to head north this afternoon with WeatherWatch.co.nz readers reporting light snow flurries in Invercargill and Canterbury with heavier snow in the mountains.

The coldest air is now clearing Canterbury and heading towards the South Island's north eastern corner and by mid to late afternoon it will move in Wellington and Wairarapa.

WeatherWatch.co.nz predicts light snow flurries are possible in Wellington's higher altitude suburbs this evening with the odd light snow flurry falling to about 2 or 300 metres. Heavier falls will be above 500m.

Accord to reports received by WeatherWatch.co.nz snow fell as low as 10 metres above sea level (Invervargill), 90 metres above sea level (Inland Southland), 200 metres about sea level (Darfield).

In Wellington Karori has parts above 200 metres, with Johnsonville around 150m above sea level along with some parts of Upper Hutt.

The summit of State Highway over the Rimutaka Ranges is about 550 metres, heavy snow could close the road tonight.

12:30pm - news just to hand that snow showers are again passing through Invercargill.
Tornado Tim

Unread post by Tornado Tim »

Talbotm wrote:Nev If you read my post i said forecasters meaning weather watch in this instance and Yes they did have forecast for snow last night to 200m in wellington. You need to check you facts before putting posts up that dont stack up please. They even went to the point of mentioning surburbs such as Karori, Johnsonville which i might point out is only 150asl and north upperhutt.
Oh for crying out loud!
As soon as you got here you have been constantly stirring the pot, now it is getting very annoying.

btw you are speaking to a Moderator, so choose your words wisely.
Last edited by Tornado Tim on Mon 14/06/2010 19:50, edited 1 time in total.
NZAPStrike.net - NZ Aus Pacific Strike Network
gllitz

Unread post by gllitz »

8-o :-#
"Saru mo ki kara ochiru"
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

I saw a horse at the pub who's name was Eric?? :> :crazy:

JohnGaul
NZThS
JohnGaul
NZThS
gllitz

Unread post by gllitz »

That was a good one just now on CH1...

"A polar bear walks into the bar and orders a drink...
'Yes, I'd like a bourbon and....................coke please'
'Why the large pause?' asks the bartender...
'I've had them all my life!' "
HAHA! ;-)
"Saru mo ki kara ochiru"
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Yes, well anyway, the 'antarctic blast of June 12/13th" storm is clearing away and it should be fine for the next 6 million years, thankyou :smile:

JohnGaul
NZThS
JohnGaul
NZThS
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Tornado Tim wrote:Oh for crying out loud!
As soon as you got here you have been constantly stirring the pot, now it is getting very annoying.

btw you are speaking to a Moderator, so choose your words wisely.
Yes indeed, about as fascinating as the hyperbores who whine incessantly about their climates/weather on some forums (the US "Relocation" has a weather section that's a real doozy in that respect) - one of them used to bang on a lot here until he was banned.
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

Hmm... looks like yet another thread ending on a sour note. :(
Talbotm wrote:Nev If you read my post i said forecasters meaning weather watch in this instance and Yes they did have forecast for snow last night to 200m in wellington. You need to check you facts before putting posts up that dont stack up please. They even went to the point of mentioning surburbs such as Karori, Johnsonville which i might point out is only 150asl and north upperhutt. ...
Talbotm, if you meant WeatherWatch, then you should have said so instead of just saying 'forecasters', which I take to include MetService. Apart from being our national weather forecaster, they are the only other local 'forecaster' that I'm aware of issuing forecasts for the Wgtn region. So as I pointed out, their forecast issued the previous day and repeated on TV that night, was for 'snow gradually lowing to 500m the following morn (not 200m), affecting the Rimutaka Hill Rd'. WeatherWatch may have its place, but I personally prefer to see what our trained meteorologists have to say.

You haven't exactly endeared yourself to this forum, especially with your grossly inaccurate comments in a recent post. If you joined this forum for the sole purpose knocking 'forecasters', then perhaps you'd be better off posting on sites like Trademe or similar, as these sorts of continual comments get rather tiresome here after a while. Forecasters are derided the world over when their forecasts aren't exactly accurate, but most here have some appreciation of how tough a science meteorology is and that no forecaster is going to get it exactly right 100% of the time. Mother nature will usually see to that.
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

Agree on the above comments. Pull your head in Talbotm

Anyway, back on topic, this event overnight has provided a lit more moisture than many of us expected, approaching 20mm since last evening at my place in Cracroft, and the ground is absolutely sodden on top of a pretty wet three weeks now. Far too warm for snow down low though, i think Metservice were spot on with the 500m snow level by the looks. We had a couple of hefty hail showers last night when it blew in, about pea sized, gave the windows a real clattering with the gale that accompanied.
Christchurch Rocks
Dale

Re: "antarctic blast of June 12/15th?"...

Unread post by Dale »

We had our last lick, up this way last night from about 9pm onwards, very strong SW's driving the rain horizontally then around 11pm/midnight it really ramped up to the point I was getting a bit concerned, could hear things banging crashing & flying around outside & had a couple of brownouts.. all nice and calm this morning with the sun out now (finally!!) attempting to dry things out. More of this long lost sunshine please. The banging & crashing around were a few pots, plants & some of the young fellas toys which werent put away, bounced off the house & collected together in a neat pile at the back fence.

Honestly thought the roof was going to lift around midnight, it was a wild ride!