Next cold spell 22 June - ?

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
CHCH Weather Chaser
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Next cold spell 22 June - ?

Unread post by CHCH Weather Chaser »

Must be snowing in Manapouri as it is 0 degrees and 2.4mm in the last hour.

reports of snow throughout stages of last night in Culverden and Mayfield.
Reporting Live from Southern Christchurch
Leighton Thomas

2014 Rainfall: Jan: 21mm Feb: 76mm March: 170mm April: 201mm YTD: 468mm
tgsnoopy

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

Nev

Unread post by Nev »

Snow has closed roads between Fairlie and Tekapo, Pukaki and Mt Cook, and the Lindis Pass (Omarama to Tarras).

NZTA South Island highway info
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Relatively warm precipitation for invercargill 7.3C, Queenstown near 0C with snow.
http://metservice.com/towns-cities/queenstown this Qtwn web cam excellent.
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

I went for a drive around 1am last night up the Port Hills (World Cup insonia). Can confirm it was snowing very heavily for the hour or so I was up there, particualry around the Sign of the kiwi. Tried to get up the Worsely Hill, but was too thick on the road even for the Subaru to get up. Was settling on cars in Cashmere at 2am below the Sign of the Takahe, down to about 100m above sea level, and was sleet/ snow mix down the bottom at our place in Cracroft

Driving to work this morning its very white on our side of the hills, has settled quite thick down to below 100m, but you get round the corner and the rest of the Port Hills have no snow at all. Must have been quite localised.

All in all a very decent dump for some ChCh hill folk, others will be wondering how they missed it!
Christchurch Rocks
Kimkliff

Unread post by Kimkliff »

Snow on the ground at the farm in Kimberley this morning. Covered the grass, but no deeper than that. Last spoke to people there at 7 am this morning.
Kelly_Cattermole

Unread post by Kelly_Cattermole »

Sleet @ 1am
Snow @ 3am
Sleep @ 3:01am
Rain @ 7am
Typing this out @ 11am

:)
MoorfNZ
Location: (300m asl) Waddington, inland mid-Canterbury, New Zealand

Unread post by MoorfNZ »

Still snowing lightly here in Waddington - was heavier earlier this morning but has been getting lighter ever since. Settled on ground but starting to melt away.

EDIT: Now turning to light rain :(
tich

Unread post by tich »

Driving to work this morning its very white on our side of the hills, has settled quite thick down to below 100m, but you get round the corner and the rest of the Port Hills have no snow at all. Must have been quite localised.

All in all a very decent dump for some ChCh hill folk, others will be wondering how they missed it!
It did get down to 1.4C at Hillmorton (Jeff's) during the early hours, so could've been snowing even in city for a while, though it was up to about 3C by morning. Couldn't see the Port Hills due to low cloud early morning, but can see some of them (Sugarloaf, Marley Hill) now and no snow on them.
carrot

Unread post by carrot »

I was up when it was 1.9 in Chch, no snow then.
Must have been close, but there's still a few more months to get some.
snowstormwatcher

Unread post by snowstormwatcher »

Overcast here today few snow flakes this afternoon around 4 or 5cm of snow settled overnight still a coating on the ground snow looks a lot more thicker around the hills east of here.
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Only drove into sleet going to work this morning, and sleet on and off throughout the day at work.
Even Oxford didnt have any snow, so i guess it must have been a very localised event where sheltered valleys and basins got the lower level snow because of the lower overnight temperatures prior to and during the change.
Interesting how Central Otago got the snow from 7am-9am after the main rain band had passed, must have been a colder pocket of air inbehind.
I see the MS had an overnight low of 1C here tonight but have since revised it to 5C, if it was 1C i would be expecting snow with those showers.
Generally drizzle for most of the afternoon, but its now back to moderate rain and 6C.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
CHCH Weather Chaser

Unread post by CHCH Weather Chaser »

Jasestorm wrote:Only drove into sleet going to work this morning, and sleet on and off throughout the day at work.
Even Oxford didnt have any snow, so i guess it must have been a very localised event where sheltered valleys and basins got the lower level snow because of the lower overnight temperatures prior to and during the change.
Interesting how Central Otago got the snow from 7am-9am after the main rain band had passed, must have been a colder pocket of air inbehind.
I see the MS had an overnight low of 1C here tonight but have since revised it to 5C, if it was 1C i would be expecting snow with those showers.
Generally drizzle for most of the afternoon, but its now back to moderate rain and 6C.
I was talking to someone at work today and they said they had thick snow on the ground at his home in Oxford and was snowing heavy on his way to work at 6am. Very little if anything recieved since 830am here. Very light drizzle patches at worst.
Reporting Live from Southern Christchurch
Leighton Thomas

2014 Rainfall: Jan: 21mm Feb: 76mm March: 170mm April: 201mm YTD: 468mm
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Depends on which part of Oxford, the actual township area or the surrounding area which rises even more in elevation towards the Foothills.
Not in the township apart from a few flakes thrown in around 6am according to someone at my work, but they said it wasnt as bad as the snow up there on Monday morning.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Heavy showers blowing through here since the middle of the night, up to 30mm now :eek:
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

TonyT wrote:Heavy showers blowing through here since the middle of the night, up to 30mm now :eek:
Yeah the radar has looked very active! Looks to be pushing towards us in town now, the skies are certainly looking leaden to the north

Tony, I see you are going large on fairly significant rain over the coming days, not great news on top of already waterlogged land
Christchurch Rocks
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

Change in tack here in ChCh, bright sunshine streaming in now
Christchurch Rocks
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Razor wrote:
TonyT wrote:Heavy showers blowing through here since the middle of the night, up to 30mm now :eek:
Yeah the radar has looked very active! Looks to be pushing towards us in town now, the skies are certainly looking leaden to the north

Tony, I see you are going large on fairly significant rain over the coming days, not great news on top of already waterlogged land
50mm here, but eased to very occasional showers now. Very wet around here, lots of surface flooding, a few roads closed, plenty more with surface water lying on them.

Tomorrow should be drier, but could be more steady rain on Saturday, perhaps 30-50mm over 24 hours, and frankly, that may be just enough to turn the surface flooding into something more serious.