Davis 6250 Vantage Vue

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
clevedon
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Davis 6250 Vantage Vue

Unread post by clevedon »

Hi,
Looking at buying the Davis 6250 Vantage Vue, has anyone got one? any veiws on this model? Are they much different to the pro2 ?
Tornado Tim

Re: Davis 6250 Vantage Vue

Unread post by Tornado Tim »

If you want a standardized Weather station dont go for a Vue.

Standardized meaning mounting the hardware in the correct location.

You cant separate the Vue's Anemometer from the main unit, with the Vp2 you can.

So if you have a vue and want good wind readings you need to mount the unit up high which means the temps you get will be not the same if you mounted it 1.5m over grass (which the correct place to put temp/hum sensors).

The Vue is an accurate product but since you cant tether it away from 1 an other your quite limited.

Hope this helps with your decision :)
NZAPStrike.net - NZ Aus Pacific Strike Network
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

I'm hoping to also gear up on some better recording equipment in the next year or so,thankfully there's plenty of knowledgeable people here able to guide me in my purchase. :wave:

Just an estimate here but how much $ would i need spend so i dont get to many of these 0_o :lol:
snowstormwatcher

Unread post by snowstormwatcher »

Ive got a la crosse wireless station second hand for $60 there a cheaper option around $230 brand new. For a davis station ive seen them on the internet for around 400 to 500 dollars. Ive had no problems with the la crosse station it seems to be accurate when compared with other stations in the area. The only problem i have with it is the rain gauge set up which doesnt tip often enough. So i just use a manual cylinder gauge.
denodan
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by denodan »

I am getting the Davis Vantage Vue. Having the unit as an all in one unit makes maintance easier I think and everything you can callibrate, so if you have it high up and the temp is a degree out, or so just callibrate it.

There is a saying you get what you pay for and davis is the most popular. I was also looking into getting a new weather Station, and within my budget the Davis vantage Vue was the best I can get.

they do get great reviews. I have a cheap La Crosse, while it works fine and pretty accurate how long will it last? My rain gauge does not work properly now and not that old, would be around 8 months old, so what something that will last as we have very harsh weather in NZ, and the Davis is a rugged unit.

Also Davis you can get the parts and the rain gauge and tipping spoon can be taken apart.

i like the look of the Vue and I would recommend it. Would like the pro 2, but just a bit out of my budget.