General November Weather

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
RWood

Re: General November Weather

Unread post by RWood »

CHCH Weather Chaser wrote:Ok ill go eat my hat! Just as i say all that for the first time this week the GFS run as completely discarded that event with maybe some showers moving up during the afternoon. Heres hoping!

Anyways, once again for the umpteenth day in a row not a cloud in the sky. Today is a lot more pleasant though with a lighter NNE and 21 degrees currently here. I see Tauranga had 276 hours of sunshine (leading main city) with Christchurch behind on 275 hours for October. However of the main cities, Christchurch was the coolest and driest.
To repeat myself, not for the first time: that "coolest" tag for Ch'ch is pure bollocks. It's based on a totally unreasonable comparison between Ch'ch Aero (0.7-0.8C cooler than the city) and Musselburgh, the latter being warmer than the average Dunedin site.

You have the sun hours wrong: Tauranga 246, Christchurch 245. Record October high for Ch'ch was 272 hours in 2002.

The really unlucky main centre was Wellington, with average rainfall on top of a YTD that was already well above average, and barely average sunshine - only a small portion of the country was not well above average for sun last month.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

CHCH Weather Chaser wrote:. The airflow is southerly for once bringing thedecent rain, rather than something from the north)
Lows from the north bring down subtropical moisture so are much better rain makers. Hope you get some rain for the garden, very dry around my house but we are on volcanic rock here and dry out easily.

Mix of sunshine and cloud here today, currently 18C, dewpoint 10C.
CHCH Weather Chaser
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by CHCH Weather Chaser »

spwill wrote:
CHCH Weather Chaser wrote:. The airflow is southerly for once bringing thedecent rain, rather than something from the north)
Lows from the north bring down subtropical moisture so are much better rain makers. Hope you get some rain for the garden, very dry around my house but we are on volcanic rock here and dry out easily.

Mix of sunshine and cloud here today, currently 18C, dewpoint 10C.
Hi Spwill. Yes they are good rainmakers, more so for you lot though. Here in Coastal Canterbury we get bigger rain makers from the South from my experience due to the topography of the land?
Reporting Live from Southern Christchurch
Leighton Thomas

2014 Rainfall: Jan: 21mm Feb: 76mm March: 170mm April: 201mm YTD: 468mm
CHCH Weather Chaser

RWood wrote:
CHCH Weather Chaser wrote:Ok ill go eat my hat! Just as i say all that for the first time this week the GFS run as completely discarded that event with maybe some showers moving up during the afternoon. Heres hoping!

Anyways, once again for the umpteenth day in a row not a cloud in the sky. Today is a lot more pleasant though with a lighter NNE and 21 degrees currently here. I see Tauranga had 276 hours of sunshine (leading main city) with Christchurch behind on 275 hours for October. However of the main cities, Christchurch was the coolest and driest.
To repeat myself, not for the first time: that "coolest" tag for Ch'ch is pure bollocks. It's based on a totally unreasonable comparison between Ch'ch Aero (0.7-0.8C cooler than the city) and Musselburgh, the latter being warmer than the average Dunedin site.

You have the sun hours wrong: Tauranga 246, Christchurch 245. Record October high for Ch'ch was 272 hours in 2002.

The really unlucky main centre was Wellington, with average rainfall on top of a YTD that was already well above average, and barely average sunshine - only a small portion of the country was not well above average for sun last month.
Sorry I put 7's instead of 4's :S dont quite know how that happened :lol:
Leighton Thomas

spwill

Unread post by spwill »

CHCH Weather Chaser wrote: . Here in Coastal Canterbury we get bigger rain makers from the South from my experience due to the topography of the land?
A low off the east coast is the big rain maker for coastal Canterbury especially when the air is of subtropical origin in an east quarter flow, the moist air running into the hill country enhances the rainfall.
There were some good examples of this over winter
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

spwill wrote:
CHCH Weather Chaser wrote: . Here in Coastal Canterbury we get bigger rain makers from the South from my experience due to the topography of the land?
A low off the east coast is the big rain maker for coastal Canterbury especially when the air is of subtropical origin in an east quarter flow, the moist air running into the hill country enhances the rainfall.
There were some good examples of this over winter
Yer spwill ,you are right,it only takes one system to lie the east of any where down the east of NZ to bring some useful rains,but though most of South Islands coastal rains do come from the south.

Had 24 hours of NW now,25C high :D
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Looks like a cold southerly spell Friday into Saturday for NZ. Frosts inland South Island early Saturday by the looks.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Richard wrote: Yer spwill ,you are right,it only takes one system to lie the east of any where down the east of NZ to bring some useful rains,but though most of South Islands coastal rains do come from the south.
Yes, the regular rain/showers come from fronts/troughs moving in from the south or west.
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

This front might produce some reasonable rainfall for canterbury, as it is lining up against 2 highs which generally means the rain can be more persistant and slower moving as i recall in the past.
Possibly only 15-20mm but its a good amount considering we are going into another high next week.
It would be nice for it to be dry for guyfawkes but i somehow dont think that will be the case, and for many cantabrians that will be a slight relief as i am sure many are still frightend by the rumblings from below.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
Orion

Unread post by Orion »

Blowing nor'-west, 13.6 degrees, occasional splatters of light rain. Gloomy day.
Orion

Unread post by Orion »

Much better now - nor'west, sunny, blue sky, 22.2 degrees and going up...
snowstormwatcher

Unread post by snowstormwatcher »

Warm here this afternoon currently 25 degrees with a moderate northwesterly. Would be good to get some decent rain tommorow things are starting to dry out a bit.
Weetbicks

Unread post by Weetbicks »

North Westerly finally reached chch about an hour ago and temp shot up a couple of degrees, getting quite breezy now. I might head out of the city tonight and see what I can see, take some pics if I can. It's impossible to tell from my house what is out west so it's a bit of a gamble, but given it's NW I am hoping there are some clear skies further west for a nice sunset..

Some rain tomorrow would be welcome indeed snowstormwatcher, I just raked over the garden and was choking on the dust it kicked up, very dry!
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

Getting dry alright here too,NW keeping temps lower than near the coast today with a high of 23C, and a few rain showers came through about 6.00.
Weetbicks

Unread post by Weetbicks »

Turned out to be worth the trip, a great sunset, lasted about 30 minutes, here are just a few snaps - the rest are being uploaded now to My flickr page.

Orion

Unread post by Orion »

Lovely colour! thankyou.
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

Yup guyfawkes is a joke, I hope it hoses down tomorrow night
Christchurch Rocks
David

Unread post by David »

Nice rain falling here now, probably won't last very long though. first time I've heard proper rain for ages :D
Orion

Unread post by Orion »

Light rain, grass has visibly grown (or perked up) overnight; grey sky above but seems to be lightening towards Timaru, so may not rain for much longer. 8.5 degrees.
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

Crikey, 36.4mm at Brian's overnight and 11.8mm in Grey Lyn. Just 5.2mm here. But yeah, nice to hear the rain on the roof. :D A warm 15C overnight and quite breezy out here this morn.
CHCH Weather Chaser

This mornings GFS has heavy rain back in the forecast for Coastal Canterbury. Hope that doesnt eventuate!
Leighton Thomas

Richard

Unread post by Richard »

CHCH Weather Chaser wrote:This mornings GFS has heavy rain back in the forecast for Coastal Canterbury. Hope that doesnt eventuate!

Doesnt?? :?: why ??its getting rather dry about the place now,this rain will be most welcome.

That's where the likes of the GFS models get wrong is at this time of year especially is more likely the heavy rains will fall along the foothills rather than the coastal.
CHCH Weather Chaser

Richard wrote:
CHCH Weather Chaser wrote:This mornings GFS has heavy rain back in the forecast for Coastal Canterbury. Hope that doesnt eventuate!

Doesnt?? :?: why ??its getting rather dry about the place now,this rain will be most welcome.

That's where the likes of the GFS models get wrong is at this time of year especially is more likely the heavy rains will fall along the foothills rather than the coastal.
Well you know me, I love extremities or changes but I want to play cricket tomorrow. It can rain Sunday instead :lol: Anyways yes it is very dry about. In fact a lot of the grass around the city is turning brown, in some cases it is dead already.
Leighton Thomas

Michael

Unread post by Michael »

All they do then is let them off until xmas on all the dry days and annoy the heck out of anything q-
Razor wrote:Yup guyfawkes is a joke, I hope it hoses down tomorrow night
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

CHCH Weather Chaser wrote: Well you know me, I love extremities or changes but I want to play cricket tomorrow. It can rain Sunday instead :lol: Anyways yes it is very dry about. In fact a lot of the grass around the city is turning brown, in some cases it is dead already.
Looking at the weather to the south i recon we may well be in for one of those "extremities" today,the sky is clear ,NW has died out and there's a interesting line of cloud to the south that may brew up something later....i hope. :D