Widespread Snow Event 14th-17th Aug

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
David

Re: Widespread Snow Event 14th-17th Aug

Unread post by David »

Too bad there was so much cloud last night, could have got a record low temp here!
Only got down to 0.5C in the end.
Probably would have been -1C if it had been clear...looks like plenty more chances coming up though next few days
RODALCO

Unread post by RODALCO »

Interesting shelf clouds ? looking from Glendene towards Waikumete Cemetry near the speed camera.
Time was 1615 hours

Can't attach photo, sorry
Who put the LED's on the lightning arrestor ?
Michael
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Michael »

Manukau heads obs wrote:
I think it might end up being our only frost this year.
never say never, LOL
if he wind eases 2 nite and clear skies you could get another...
the last snow event was supposed to be the last one....LOL

the wind picked up here last night and stopped a frost...
Also at the end of July we were told we already experienced our coldest part of winter.Anyway August is a winter month,not spring.
Manukau heads obs
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

I see fontera are reporting that 2000 dairy farms could not get their milk collected in both the SI and NI

grass growth will be stunted at the moment too, jus when it needs to be starting to pick up too
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

Was VERY cold this morning with occassional snow flurrie ' not settling' and a few sleet showers..
I dont know how they can get you to go to work and paint in this weather even inside where theres no heating on and its like 5C indoors.. just doesnt work.
Anyways sun out now as things start to ease up, looking fawed to storm season now.
I was actually thinking today about the 850mb temps and thickness levels etc.. i know it might be off topic but can someone please explain the right numbers in the models that suggest thunderstorms in Canterbury? maybe nzstorm?? isnt it the opposite to snow where thickness has to be be higher like 540?? and the 850mb temp between -25 and -30?? apologies if i have got that alll mixed up but thats why im asking :) :P ;)
Last edited by mikestormchaser on Wed 17/08/2011 17:11, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

Out Freeymead on ferry road snow piled about 5ft high, resulting after graders diggers had been thru. Going to take quite a few days to thaw
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
CHCH Weather Chaser

Unread post by CHCH Weather Chaser »

Paddocks around the area are in flood now from rain showers and melting snow. Infact, its close to going across the road. Dodged the bullet somewhat as the heavy persistent rain showers have been WSW of the city throughout the day and remain to do so, we just happen to catch the odd one that moves further east. Will be very testing should the showers move more coastal and become more persistent.
Reporting Live from Southern Christchurch
Leighton Thomas

2014 Rainfall: Jan: 21mm Feb: 76mm March: 170mm April: 201mm YTD: 468mm
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

Had to drive to CHCH for business today and was amazed how much the snow depth varied on the way down,my meeting was in Burwood and there was about as much snow there as what i had here at home but over the hill in Waikari there was hardly anything till i got nearer to Waipara where there just was massive snow drifts in around the hills,Rangiora had bugger all and it wasn't till i got to Kaiapoi that the amounts increased again till Burwood (heaps) gees they were even using front end loaders to move the stuff outside the hospital there was so much.
Curious to know how the rest of CHCH would have compered to Burwood.
Skywatcher

Unread post by Skywatcher »

Been drizzle to heavy showers most of the day here. Recorded 24mm today (so far) compared with 11mm at Jeff's. Evaporative cooling kept the temperature down and meant it was colder than yesterday !
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

CHCH Weather Chaser wrote:Paddocks around the area are in flood now from rain showers and melting snow. Infact, its close to going across the road. Dodged the bullet somewhat as the heavy persistent rain showers have been WSW of the city throughout the day and remain to do so, we just happen to catch the odd one that moves further east. Will be very testing should the showers move more coastal and become more persistent.
Yes some rather heavy showers on that eastern side which will cause a lot problems alright,in yet there's been no rain all day here.
melja

Unread post by melja »

Richard wrote:Had to drive to CHCH for business today and was amazed how much the snow depth varied on the way down,my meeting was in Burwood and there was about as much snow there as what i had here at home but over the hill in Waikari there was hardly anything till i got nearer to Waipara where there just was massive snow drifts in around the hills,Rangiora had bugger all and it wasn't till i got to Kaiapoi that the amounts increased again till Burwood (heaps) gees they were even using front end loaders to move the stuff outside the hospital there was so much.
Curious to know how the rest of CHCH would have compered to Burwood.
Had 28cm on my lawn in rangiora when it stoped snowing Richard, this being monday nights on top of sunday night.
Almost double what we had a work just west of kaiapoi but we had a very quick thaw tuesday afternoon which took care of most of it by night fall.
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

pictures of the snow shower approaching the day I was up the top of the bombay hills
(I had not posted these images, due to the forum being slow, at the time) :wave:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
tgsnoopy

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

Drove back from Hamilton today and was surprised to see some of the snow on the Waikato side still hadn't thawed.

I've seen more snow on the Kaimais in other years and am working long hours at present so didn't stop to take photos.

The Snow level on the Kaimai's yesterday morning was about 400m. We were lucky that despite the cold, there was little moisture to create the falls. Driving up the Coromandel from Tauranga with a 6am start sucked, very icy and dangerous cornering.

A few hail showers during the day yesterday, but a good day today.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Manukau heads obs wrote:pictures of the snow shower approaching the day I was up the top of the bombay hills
:
Amazing wintry Cb clouds for this part of NZ, looks like coastal Otago.
Cook

Unread post by Cook »

mikestormchaser wrote:Was VERY cold this morning with occassional snow flurrie ' not settling' and a few sleet showers..
I dont know how they can get you to go to work and paint in this weather even inside where theres no heating on and its like 5C indoors.. just doesnt work.
Anyways sun out now as things start to ease up, looking fawed to storm season now.
I was actually thinking today about the 850mb temps and thickness levels etc.. i know it might be off topic but can someone please explain the right numbers in the models that suggest thunderstorms in Canterbury? maybe nzstorm?? isnt it the opposite to snow where thickness has to be be higher like 540?? and the 850mb temp between -25 and -30?? apologies if i have got that alll mixed up but thats why im asking :) :P ;)
Hi, for thunderstorms the temperature at one level, like 850hPa is not very helpful. What is much more interesting is the difference between levels like 850hPa and 500hPa. The colder it is at 500 and the warmer it is at low levels, the better it is for storms. In addition to that you need moisture, so high humidity (moisture convergence) is good. When the ingredients come together, moisture near the surface, an unstable atmosphere (warm low down and cold high up) you can get TS. If in addition to this you have large scale upward motion supported by features such as jets or upper troughs, then hang on to yer hat...
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

From mid Spring we should start a convective outlook thread.
LittleTreeHouse

Unread post by LittleTreeHouse »

It's reported this morning we may have a "round three" on the horizon? http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/5463543 ... ot-be-over
Meanwhile, Canterbury has had two snowstorms in three weeks, with the chance of a third higher than usual, thanks to conducive atmospheric conditions.

Weather experts say intense storm systems are often more likely soon after a La Nina pattern has decayed because of the warmer than normal sea-surface temperatures left in its wake and more moisture lingering in the atmosphere.
We've got an incredible amount of water on the ground out here, local nerves are on alert re the possibility of flooring - particularly in leeston. Local VFB have been preparing for sandbagging 8-o
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

"round three" on the horizon?
There has been 3 major winter storms this winter, the first storm in July affected western parts as the polar air arrived on a westerly.
Last edited by spwill on Thu 18/08/2011 17:49, edited 1 time in total.
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

LittleTreeHouse wrote:It's reported this morning we may have a "round three" on the horizon? http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/5463543 ... ot-be-over
If there happens to be yet another snowfall that would further cement my belief that snowfalls are more often falling to near sea level within the Canterbury area since the start of the 90's.
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

spwill wrote:
"round three" on the horizon?
There has been 3 major winter storms this winter, the first storm in July affected western parts as the polar air arrived on a westerly.
Yes true spwill thats right :-k
Chris Raine

Unread post by Chris Raine »

Well we have had a wet day temps between 5-8C all day / Constant rain showers out of very shallow Cb's today. although snow is melting there are patches of snow lying still at 150 meters on hills to west of Oamaru and some interesting drifts on country roads as you rip around a corner hello hello snow across half the road . Anyway temps down to 2.9C as we type this and 5ml of rain in the gauge since 0900
Lawrence

Unread post by Lawrence »

The most amazing thing about the snow we had earlier this week is that if it had happened in The Northern Hemishere,it would have snowed in Seville and Málaga (Andalusia, Spain)!
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Karshvar wrote:The most amazing thing about the snow we had earlier this week is that if it had happened in The Northern Hemishere,it would have snowed in Seville and Málaga (Andalusia, Spain)!
Which it did in 2010, first time for 50 years according to this
http://live.kyero.com/2010/01/11/snowfa ... arly-over/
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Karshvar wrote:The most amazing thing about the snow we had earlier this week is that if it had happened in The Northern Hemishere,it would have snowed in Seville and Málaga (Andalusia, Spain)!
Latitude being one climate control. For a fair comparison to the Auckland region you would have to find an island climate on a similar latitude. The Greek Islands get snow but they have the nearby land mass of Greece and Turkey.
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

spwill wrote:
Latitude being one climate control. For a fair comparison to the Auckland region you would have to find an island climate on a similar latitude. The Greek Islands get snow but they have the nearby land mass of Greece and Turkey.
There is no comparison really as the Northern hemisphere doesn't have a massive icecap nearby and a oceanic circulation like the roaring 40's.