Stormchasers.co.nz

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Thunder

Stormchasers.co.nz

Unread post by Thunder »

Hey guys

Have been working on this website since October last year on and off? Thanks to Jason Tippet for his persistence in asking me to get something going and finally I did it!! Main reason I feared doing this is I knew it would take friggen ages getting all the old reports up but I felt I had to do it to sort've show the history of when I began storm chasing and it gives the site some good content atleast! I've now got it to a stage where I feel you guys can have a look around it and read all the reports. I've also edited video footage from over the years of the various chases we have been on so I'm sure you guys should enjoy seeing them. Even though us guys in Canterbury have seen some of this footage at weather meetings over the years, to see them in this way edited together is much better.

As you'll note Steve (03Stormchaser) is on alot of the chases I've been on, there is one or two there with Mike Stewart, Jason Tippet and Steven Graham aswell.

Big thanks to Steven Williams (NZStorm) for providing info for the glossary I put up aswell as photographs for a few reports. One report on Sunday, 26th December 2004 was wholly done from photographs of Steven's as he was down in Timaru for Christmas that year and saw a really nice Cb develop just north of where he was.

I've still got things to do to the site so it hasn't ended yet by anymeans, might change the way it looks as time goes on to to increase it's usability. I think I have to register it with google to? Will get my brother onto that.

I changed my forum name to stormchaser because of the site then realised that was a silly thing to do as it was too close to 03's name on this forum. Therefore I changed it again to Thunder, hopefully that will be it.

Click my signature and enjoy!

Cheers
Aaron
Aaron Wilkinson
Richard

Re: Stormchasers.co.nz

Unread post by Richard »

Hey well done Aaron =D> all looks good,but one thing i do find with website with black back grounds is they are hard on old buggers eyes like mine,i cant look at them too long.
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

Good Stuff! :D Well done Aaron. _b

No problems with the black b/g here btw.
Orion

Unread post by Orion »

Well done! =D> and thankyou.
[you were up awfully early to let us know, too :smile: ]
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Good one there Aaron. I've book marked it. Hope you get lotsa hits on it and maintain it with future storms etc.
JohnGaul
NZThS
Tornado Tim

Unread post by Tornado Tim »

Yes I miss these types of Websites, another I miss quite a bit is Nzstorms website (thunderstorm.co.nz?)

Thanks Aaron for bringing your site back up :)
NZAPStrike.net - NZ Aus Pacific Strike Network
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Well done Aaron, I have not had a good look at it yet but will do in time.
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Thanks heaps guys! Yes John I'll continue to add reports should storms happen. As we might be entering winter soon maybe there might be nothing for a while? We'll see. I note over the years there seems to be a tornado or two on the west coast of the South Island in March at times but unlikely this year unless these anticyclones dissapear.

Yes Richard my Dad said the same thing re the black background and he's the web guru unlike me, maybe something I'll look at as time goes on. I liked the idea of a black background and left it for the time being as couldn't be bothered trying to alter some aspects of the site, just wanted to get it out there finally.

I always stay up late Orion as I work late, lol. Good sleep in's garantueed! \:D/ But try to put all my spare time to good use if I can.
Aaron Wilkinson
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

Fantastic site Aaron! i have had a good look already and viewd some videos etc. i will be keeping track of it as u update and or add new stuff to it!!

Cheers :)
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
KiwiWeather

Unread post by KiwiWeather »

Excellent work, the site looks fantastic!
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Thanks Peopled_Diagram. Hopefully more in due course, thought I'd have a break after having worked on it for a while now but am starting to get itchy feet again.
Aaron Wilkinson
Tornado Tim

Unread post by Tornado Tim »

Hey Aaron, you have minor typo on your html Page title of this page: here
NZAPStrike.net - NZ Aus Pacific Strike Network
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Cheers Tim, thanks for the bump :)
Aaron Wilkinson
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

I've put up a video on the about page of the stormchasers site, an interview done with John Gaul and Bob Crowder a while back now. I think it must've been from Gary McCormick's Heartland series? The part where John says "It's exciting, it's the energy" cracks me up as he twirls around. lol.
Aaron Wilkinson