General April Weather

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Storm Struck

Re: General April Weather

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Just over 2.5mm from yesterday mornings rain so not much but to be expected, southerly came through overnight with some brief drizzly spots.
Looking ahead tomorrow eastern Otago/ borderline south canterbury looks ok for some wintry thunder and hail shower cells, a lower risk further up the coast as the W-NW wind will be fairly strong but something might push eastwards i guess.
Monday afternoon looks better for a thunder and hail set up with a more S-SW flow and the coldest of air coming up, your looking at snow around 200m in the far south maybe 400m for Canterbury.
Only downside is that westerly is present beforehand but i guess if its cold enough air could be some brief action on the change, time will tell.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

A bit of moisture in the Tasman this morning 13/14C dps so the active front has bit of lightning for the SI West Coast today. The front weakens as it reaches the North Island tonight but squally precip will make it into New Plymouth with a low risk of thunder.
Nothing interesting reaching Auckland unfortunately.

Looks like a strong shortwave within the cold SW flow will bring a period of snow to quite low levels (maybe 500m) over the southern South Island ranges tomorrow morning. The short wave forcing/moist SW change could bring an isolated thunderstorm to coastal Canterbury later tomorrow but its a very weak set up.
Manukau heads obs
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

the wind has gone from tending NW here to now being light SE...go figure as they say...I guess we are in a col
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
CHCH Weather Chaser

Unread post by CHCH Weather Chaser »

Yet ANOTHER lovely day here in CHCH. Sitting just shy of 20 degrees with hardly a breathe of wind currently. Perhaps more of a N-NW this afternoon.
Reporting Live from Southern Christchurch
Leighton Thomas

2014 Rainfall: Jan: 21mm Feb: 76mm March: 170mm April: 201mm YTD: 468mm
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Still a grotty day though the SW was nowhere as strong as I thought it would be and tempered by the low to the north,netherless left the sweeping today as more of the rellies on the trees will add tomorrow with the S change as I dont believe its over yet from experiance.
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

the jet stream cloud is at its thickest here now...making for a very grey looking sky...
temperature has dropped steadily as a result, especialy now that the wind has gone more southery....
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]