Propelling Pencil over Paekakariki NZ

For general weather and landscape photos
cupoteacoast
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Propelling Pencil over Paekakariki NZ

Unread post by cupoteacoast »

Liked this one, looked like a propelling pencil ! :-# SE over Paekakariki this morning ~0915 hours. We were getting a straight S as well as being bombed by an E coming over the mountains and dropping its load on us. Quick moving systems.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cupoteacoast

Re: Propelling Pencil over Paekakariki NZ

Ditto.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Theyre affected by the hills so close to the sea,is there anywhere else,maybe westcoast similar terrain for orographic lifting.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Michael wrote:Theyre affected by the hills so close to the sea,is there anywhere else,maybe westcoast similar terrain for orographic lifting.
This is depending where the powerlines are in the picture :smile:
JohnGaul
NZThS
cupoteacoast

Power lines ...yeah I get a real buzz out of watching the weather! Beautiful big Cu-Nimb forming to the NE at present (them hills again), with a power pole straight through the centre of it from here. :-D Seriously though, that's what I like about this place, it is a beautiful day with azure sky, blowing southerly, but with beautiful cloud formations to the E-NE, telling me that there is crap on the way.
cupoteacoast

Michael wrote:Theyre affected by the hills so close to the sea,is there anywhere else,maybe westcoast similar terrain for orographic lifting.
I used to think MetService often got it wrong for Kapiti Coast ... until I did a lot of reading a few years back, and realised that we experienced orographic weather and rather localised at that. Makes sense. Can be really cruddy here but fine just off the coast, or completely different 10 km's away in Paraparaumu. A pain being under dark cloud when all around us is beautifully fine! Today was a real classic for that. I took a lot of pix today, as the cloud rose over the mountain very very rapidly, complete with rainbow. When it does come right down our side in winter though, we tend to get torrential rain and localised flooding here, that's not uncommon. I've long thought Mt Wainui (796m) which backs onto the Rimutakas controls our weather locally, it certainly dumps sleet onto us and snow on this side of Wainui itself during a polar SE blast. McKays crossing area is the worst, it's in a rain shadow and often has very localised rain come down from the mountains but is dry either side of it. We do too at Paekakariki but not as bad as McKays. If it sleets, it is normally from Paek to McKays. The bonus is that we get a lot of neat cloud formations and often see beautiful flat toppped Cu-nimbs forming in the mountains NE of here (McKays). Stratus .. well ugh!
cupoteacoast

An example of what Mt Wainui to the direct East sends us. This was today behind my place in Paekakariki. Beautifully straight sided and very, very rapidly growing + spreading. Skies elsewhere were beautiful azure and cloudless with a cool S breeze.
cupoteacoast

Very similar formation to the NE of here today.
cupoteacoast

Again this afternoon, this Cu-N also grew very quickly and went on to form a beautiful flat top. This is to the NE, looking towards McKays. It did cloud over here from the E, but all along the coast and to the S it was beautifully clear. Any wispy stuff burnt off. - Must be .. Upper Trough, Possible Storms, Central East NI, 23rd August.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Good photos. :-)