MetService Website (2013)

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Orion

MetService Website (2013)

Unread post by Orion »

What is it with the "no image available" on the rain-radar today?
Just when it would be so interesting!
I've been able to view it two or three times only today. :?
Skywatcher
Has thanked: 0

Re: MetService Website (2012)

Unread post by Skywatcher »

Could be a way of handling site overloading... frustrating time for it to happen :(
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Why does the Rakaia Radar have a 120/300km option where as the other radars don't? o_O
JohnGaul
NZThS
Orion

Unread post by Orion »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:Why does the Rakaia Radar have a 120/300km option where as the other radars don't? o_O
Is it something to do with giving a more detailed coverage for those affected by the earthquakes?
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Probably,come to think of it.
Would be nice to get into closer at some other locations :-)

Orion wrote:
NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:Why does the Rakaia Radar have a 120/300km option where as the other radars don't? o_O
Is it something to do with giving a more detailed coverage for those affected by the earthquakes?
JohnGaul
NZThS
BeaconHill

Unread post by BeaconHill »

120km option on Chch and BOP radars was in response to quakes and Rena respectively.

We just need a "event" within range of all other radars, and we will be sorted :)
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Re: MetService Website (2013)

Not really connected to this " MetService website"topic, but close to it.
The new TV One weather minimums were quite hard to see.
I had to go forward and put my glasses on to see the minimums, light blue against a bright back ground.
It's in another of the scenario, like MetServices new Webpage, why change something that will work for the next 100 years excellently, and change it to something that is...ah OK and is not really all that good as what it was?
Last edited by NZ Thunderstorm Soc on Tue 15/01/2013 21:43, edited 1 time in total.
JohnGaul
NZThS
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

I think all orgisations seem to like change even when popular,like metservice its seems to be there.different presentation,tvs like it too and such as radio hauraki had classic rock,changed it to sound fresher/newer demographic...slightly ot get the idea.
Powermad

Unread post by Powermad »

BeaconHill, trust me, you do not want an 'event' on your Wellington series of faults. It will happen one day.. hopefully it won't be as bad as projected.

Personally I have no problem with the MS website. I love the animated rain radar images, when they're running, of course.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Michael wrote:I think all orgisations seem to like change even when popular,like metservice its seems to be there.different presentation,tvs like it too and such as radio hauraki had classic rock,changed it to sound fresher/newer demographic...slightly ot get the idea.
It's like I am really living a good lifestyle but I think I'll change but it may not be as good to what i've had it before ??? 8-o
JohnGaul
NZThS
Flutterbye

Unread post by Flutterbye »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:Not really connected to this " MetService website"topic, but close to it.
The new TV One weather minimums were quite hard to see.
I had to go forward and put my glasses on to see the minimums, light blue against a bright back ground.
It's in another of the scenario, like MetServices new Webpage, why change something that will work for the next 100 years excellently, and change it to something that is...ah OK and is not really all that good as what it was?

I agree! Change for the sake of change is not necessarily for the better. We should probably be complaining to TVNZ. :lol:
tgsnoopy

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:
Michael wrote:I think all orgisations seem to like change even when popular,like metservice its seems to be there.different presentation,tvs like it too and such as radio hauraki had classic rock,changed it to sound fresher/newer demographic...slightly ot get the idea.
It's like I am really living a good lifestyle but I think I'll change but it may not be as good to what i've had it before ??? 8-o
I wonder if they have a new webmaster and to make his mark he has to redo everything. I'm still having the ongoing problems with downloading images and it's now worse than ever and nothing I do seems to help. It now takes an average of 3 Cntrl F5's to get an individual image to show.
Orion

Unread post by Orion »

Just to say, it looks like Rain Radar now halts on the latest image instead of dodging back to the beginning of the hour as it was doing. _b
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

I'm just wondering if... :-k
Does MetService have a "Not So Short Forecast" that says things more than just 'Fine'? :wave:
....or do you have to pay $2499 a month for that information? :cute:
JohnGaul
NZThS
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

the radio is good at these forecasts at night ie they say fine or cloudy,a few showers,no mention of wind direction or speed.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Michael wrote:the radio is good at these forecasts at night ie they say fine or cloudy,a few showers,no mention of wind direction or speed.
Yes, well it was very windy here this afternoon and also yesterday from the NE. Nothing in the forecast to say the winds were going to be "fresh", just fine with NE. It gets frustrating when you see a large fat high over the place but you have 'Gale force winds" hindering what plans you have to do in the garden, whatsoever. :x
No wonder you get annoyed with the SW winds in Auckland. I support you all the way :mad:
JohnGaul
NZThS
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

This week is one of those classic weeks where I really wonder if the Metservice 'quality assures' its website. Forecasts of high 20's and 30's every day this week for Christchurch, yet anyone living here will tell you its got nowhere near it thanks to the easterly. Maybe it will, but if you look at the 2 hourly breakdown on their forecast page the predicted temps never get above 25, let alone approach 30.
Christchurch Rocks
tich

Unread post by tich »

I believe the Metservice temps for Chch are taken at the Airport, which may be a little more sheltered from the northeasterlies which predominate in the city.
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

tich wrote:I believe the Metservice temps for Chch are taken at the Airport, which may be a little more sheltered from the northeasterlies which predominate in the city.
Even still- the predicted maximums have been waaaay out and not even consistent with what different parts of the same page say :rolleyes:
Christchurch Rocks
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

The maximums and minimums are really only a computer generated consensism and really should be treated as a guide :>
JohnGaul
NZThS
Tornado Tim

Unread post by Tornado Tim »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:The maximums and minimums are really only a computer generated consensism and really should be treated as a guide :>
The max,mins and forecast for the first 3 days are actually done by meteorologists, the rest are computer generated.
NZAPStrike.net - NZ Aus Pacific Strike Network
Orion

Unread post by Orion »

Overheard a couple of conversations in Ashburton today about the "hot" day and the "expected 40 degrees tomorrow" - today was nothing but a pleasant summer's day and I think media reporting of any forecast 'high' has been sensationalised. *surprise*
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

If near-perfect forecasts became normal one day, you'd all die of boredom ... :mrgreen:
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

RWood wrote:If near-perfect forecasts became normal one day, you'd all die of boredom ... :mrgreen:
I could change my interest to watching paint dry :rolleyes:
JohnGaul
NZThS
Gary McConnochie
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Gary McConnochie »

Orion wrote:Overheard a couple of conversations in Ashburton today about the "hot" day and the "expected 40 degrees tomorrow" - today was nothing but a pleasant summer's day and I think media reporting of any forecast 'high' has been sensationalised. *surprise*

I don't think it was being sensationalized just the media reporting what a supposed expert stated.