General February Weather

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Nev

Re: General February Weather

Unread post by Nev »

RWood wrote:
Nev wrote:Note that NIWA's summary says that Chch's 234.8 hrs of sunshine is its 3rd highest Feb total since 1930. The only figure I can find that beats that is the 266.3 hrs it recorded in 2003. :-k
244.2 in 1978. Note that some EWSs in the region had pretty high values reported this Feb. (Akaroa, Rangiora).
Ah, thanks RWood. Think I might need new specs. lol 8)

Rangiora (249.4 hrs) isn't too far ahead of Chch and I'd expect Akaroa (262.6 hrs) to be brighter.
I think all the old Campbell-Stokes type of recorders will eventually be fazed-out in favour of their automatic/electronic counterparts. Do you know if this is the case for Chch?

Manukau heads obs wrote:day time temperatures will be up, night time temperature down, on normal, I suspect
Very much so. The chart below shows the average max and min temps for main-centres and just how much they deviated from their 1981-2010 Feb norms (particularly Hamilton)…

Code: Select all

NIWA February 2013 Mean Temps °C 
Site                    T-max         T-min         T-mean  

Auckland, Mangere       24.1  +0.3    15.7  -0.5    19.9  -0.1
Auckland Aero           24.6  +0.5    15.7  -0.8    20.2  -0.1
Tauranga Aero           24.6  +0.6    15.0  -0.5    19.8  ±0.0
Hamilton Aero           26.2  +1.5    10.5  -2.4    18.4  -0.4
Wellington, Kelburn     20.9  +0.3    13.7  ±0.0    17.2  +0.1
Christchurch Aero       22.3  +0.4    10.9  -0.7    16.6  -0.2
Dunedin, Musselburgh    18.9  +0.4    11.9  +0.4    15.4  +0.4 
Edit: Amended NIWA errors for Wgtn T-max, T-mean and Chch T-max.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Nev wrote: Ah, thanks RWood. Think I might need new specs. lol 8) ).

Rangiora (249.4 hrs) isn't too far ahead of Chch and I'd expect Akaroa (262.6 hrs) to be brighter.
I think all the old Campbell-Stokes type of recorders will eventually be fazed-out in favour of their automatic/electronic counterparts. Do you know if this is the case for Chch?
On an annual basis - Rangiora was somewhat behind Ch'ch for several years - then after some adjustment or re-siting it suddenly leapt ahead - last year by 254 hours, with a total of 2388! That's way too much I think. Some sites have their EWS readings more or less in line with old values - like Kaitaia, Hamilton, Blenheim, Dannevirke, but too many seem to have a rather large difference in favour of the EWS. I think more research and checking is needed, since there's no doubt virtually all of the manual recorders will be phased out. To focus on one in my region - Paraparaumu has both types going at present. THe EWS is miles ahead of the manual, even though the latter has had quite good readings in the last couple of years - P'pu is just not that sunny. And to consider the most recent story, New Plymouth indeed had an exceptional month - its conditions and the capability of the EWS to pick up early and late sun could justify a total of around 80% of the possible in Feb, so a total of say 305 hours (a NZ record) could be feasible - but 330 is "over the top".

I computed Kelburn's Tmax ave for Feb as 20.85 - lower than I thought, but the large amounts of sunshine can fool one somewhat. Several days had cool southerly seabreezes.
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

RWood wrote:I computed Kelburn's Tmax ave for Feb as 20.85 ...
You're correct RWood, which means NIWA's Wgtn T-mean is also 0.1C lower than it should be. Their Chch T-max is 0.1C lower than it should be, although its T-mean remains the same. Have adjusted the chart above accordingly.