Weather articles and the Media

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Tornado Tim

Weather articles and the Media

Unread post by Tornado Tim »

Came across a section on Radio NZ National about the weather articles coming from media agencies.
Radio NZ streaming Audio - Fast forward to 20.25 (Open in a Audio Program such as VLC)
Very interesting, covers the Tornado on December 6, Weatherwatch and NZHerald and a few other people ;)
NZAPStrike.net - NZ Aus Pacific Strike Network
03Stormchaser

Re: Weather articles and the Media

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

Above linked didnt work for me, so I used this one:
http://podcast.radionz.co.nz/mwatch/mwa ... 13-048.mp3

Thanks Tim, interesting little clip.
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

>_< >_< >_< >_< windows 8 drives me bonkers. I have to sit here and listen to this entire audio file because windows 8 xbox music player doesn't let me skip through. I hope it isnt the last thing talked about
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

problem solved. just opened the file manually and chose itunes.

I really really hate windows 8 and all their new things. especially the no x in the corner and their version of adobe PDF viewer
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Good clip, at the time Metservice were calling the wind event at Hobsonville a tornado. I think there is still some uncertainty as to what caused the major damage at Whenuapai and Hobsonville.
Good to have more than one weather company in NZ even if the weather message is sometimes mixed
Last edited by spwill on Tue 19/02/2013 20:26, edited 1 time in total.
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

very interesting article. glad to hear it and glad to hear it getting some coverage.

Sorry to hijack the thread with my rant.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

I thought the media did an excellent job covering the Hobsonville event.
cantygal
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by cantygal »

I'd like to hear Weatherwatch and NZHerald etc reply to this. I don't enjoy Dan and he is like wallpaper. Bring back Bob lol
Philip Duncan

Unread post by Philip Duncan »

The interview was driven by RNZ and was so one sided most journalists I've spoken to found it funny, as it couldn't be taken seriously. MediaWatch is like a left wing version of Fox News. I also find it offensive that two people paid on the taxpayer coin can just sit back and tear down those who work 7 days a week to build up a private business. If anyone thinks Ive had an easy ride come and talk to my friends - who saw me spend 5 years proving to the media that we were reliable before most of you had even heard of WW! That process alone was enough to almost make me give up - it was no walk in the park and to this day is still hard work.

There also seems to be this perception that WW just fires any old press releases out - we have full support from Auckland Civil Defence, who have paid for our services for 2 years - because we are accurate and because we have warned, exclusively, of several things over the years. CNN trust us too - they are incredibly conservative at trusting sources.

Bob McDavitt was a gentleman through and through and also showed me the highest of respect - even when we both disagreed on something, we could smile, laugh, shake hands and work through it. Those days have gone sadly, even though WW hasn't changed and remains to have strong and close relationships with top forecasters in Aussie and the US and here at home we work proactively with NIWA and GeoNet. So who is *really* the one causing all the problems here?

Anyway, I'm motivated by 500,000 NZers who support WW and it's those people who shape what we do, not the media, not our critics and certainly not M/S!

Cheers
Phil
Philip Duncan

Unread post by Philip Duncan »

p.s. Jamie - agree re: Windows8!!!! :)