General May Weather

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
mikestormchaser

Re: General May Weather

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

It seems to be cold early next week yes, sunday arvo to me sounds like a thunder/hail risk with very cold air aloft moving in, but only briefly.
Tues, may see a few flakes but it is along way off yet, and will change, mind you we arent even in winter yet, ;)
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Looks like a spell of heavy rain on the way for the North Island at the weekend with a small low coming in from the North Tasman. There is very good warm air advection with it so an active warm front looks on the cards. I am doubting there will be thunder with it atm but considering the rain gauges in the north are topping 200mm for May now, looks like it will add to a wet month.

Cold air next week reaching the North Island on the GFS! And sea level snow in Southland! Have to see how this evolves in the gfs in coming days.
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote: Rainfall total here so far for May is 146.8mm to today :smile:
Thats amazing,i'm not far way and yet its been a very dry month so far here with only 12mm,having missed out on the last two systems
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

I'm even closer and not over 100mm yet!
Christchurch Rocks
CHCH Weather Chaser
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by CHCH Weather Chaser »

Yes there is a lot of variance throughout the region and also within Christchurch City. There has been some real hit and miss events/bands this month. First one that comes to mind was the 6th May where a few stations got around 40- 50mm for that event and the Metservice site out at the airport only got 23mm. I find that the Metservice site really doesnt represent the majority of Christchurch well being out to the NW of the city. They should take their official readings from a more central location where the majority of people experience it. I know this is debatable for a number of reasons though no matter what way you look at it.

John, thats a heck of a difference! I have noticed your area has often been hit by the line of bands that form and just continue to work there way directly over the same area. Slightly inland from the city often in the NNE to SSW direction in particular. (one i observed the other day).
Reporting Live from Southern Christchurch
Leighton Thomas

2014 Rainfall: Jan: 21mm Feb: 76mm March: 170mm April: 201mm YTD: 468mm
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

CHCH Weather Chaser wrote:Yes there is a lot of variance throughout the region and also within Christchurch City. There has been some real hit and miss events/bands this month. First one that comes to mind was the 6th May where a few stations got around 40- 50mm for that event and the Metservice site out at the airport only got 23mm. I find that the Metservice site really doesnt represent the majority of Christchurch well being out to the NW of the city. They should take their official readings from a more central location where the majority of people experience it. I know this is debatable for a number of reasons though no matter what way you look at it.

John, thats a heck of a difference! I have noticed your area has often been hit by the line of bands that form and just continue to work there way directly over the same area. Slightly inland from the city often in the NNE to SSW direction in particular. (one i observed the other day).
NIWA's monthly summaries also contain data from Gardens, Kyle St and New Brighton.
CHCH Weather Chaser

RWood wrote:
NIWA's monthly summaries also contain data from Gardens, Kyle St and New Brighton.
That is true, although in terms of everyday readings that the public hear about it is sometimes very different being much further away from the city and the suburbs that are closer to the hills. Although you could make points that are 6 one way half a dozen the other. I guess what im saying is it would just be better to have the daily readings that the public hear about daily were gathered somewhere more central....Just a thought anyways...

Showers are moving back in here now with a stiff SW.
Leighton Thomas

Tornado Tim

Unread post by Tornado Tim »

I am happy to report the drought index is now down to 2.7 from 600-700 2 months ago in Matangi :)
NZAPStrike.net - NZ Aus Pacific Strike Network
CHCH Weather Chaser

Very frequent, heavy chain showers for BP and will continue throughout the afternoon. Missing it here with some cold clouds passing by at times and sunny spells.
Leighton Thomas

dogmelon

Unread post by dogmelon »

It looks like the river of showers it coming back over the city. It often seems like they pull away from the city with the sun and then come back over town as the sun goes down.
Skywatcher

Unread post by Skywatcher »

Shower of small hail just passed over here.
CHCH Weather Chaser

Looks like it ran outta oompth with the chain showers now. Nice heavy shower 45mins ago laced with hail. 2.5mm from it.
Leighton Thomas

Ferngrower

Unread post by Ferngrower »

Missed the bulk of the showers here with just 2.2mm for the day, 39.5mm since Friday afternoon. Fairly damp month with 125.6mm to date.
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

Nice to see some reports coming in from tai tapu ferngrower :)
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

Heavy Shower moving thru Riccarton atm

Had small hail with it
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

CHCH Weather Chaser wrote: John, thats a heck of a difference! I have noticed your area has often been hit by the line of bands that form and just continue to work there way directly over the same area. Slightly inland from the city often in the NNE to SSW direction in particular. (one i observed the other day).
I was watching the rainfall on the Rakaia Radar and the bands of rain seemed to be moving over the area, here, in a line, with nothing much on either side.
Today was similar from the SW but moving over in a different place. No rainfall was recorded here this afternoon and evening as the showers missed this area.
JohnGaul
NZThS
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Very random are these showers again like i was saying the other day about the sodden land and sea affect is evident again tonight, showers are staying deep and heavy with some hail over the sea south of the peninnsula but also forming very quickly over land in one spot in a short space of time.
This could come in handy early next week even if precipitation levels are lower, but i am happy at the moment with the general flow for Monday into early Tuesday as its S-SW.
Sunday is more SW but i can recall maps from previous SW or W-SW cold snap events and it generally did show just the bulk of the activity further south over Otago and Southland which we dont have with early next week as its more S-SW.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
CWUweather

Unread post by CWUweather »

I tell you what, GFS has it arriving earlier now and about 6pm monday until 6pm tuesday is looking bloody freezing
Live updates from Northern Christchurch!
Weather enthusiast turned analyst since 1996, now running CWU on Facebook!
tich

Unread post by tich »

Frequent showers last night in central Chch/St Albans; didn't notice any hail myself but could've been abit. Couldn't see any snow on Mt Herbert this morning.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Forecast dp on gfs for Auckland at Midnight Saturday 17C. Mild conditions and rain should be quite heavy. Unfortunately this set up does not look like producing thunderstorms despite the moist air.
David

Unread post by David »

A dull grey morning with a light but cool easterly.
Gfs picking about 35mm here in the next 24 hours, that would boost my Month-to-date total to 200mm.
seej

Unread post by seej »

Any thunderstorms in the mix for Auckland this weekend guys?
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

seej wrote:Any thunderstorms in the mix for Auckland this weekend guys?
I think the upper air looks too warm for lightning here this weekend, perhaps a thunder chance here Tuesday morning with the very cold trough, see how this looks next few model runs.
seej

Unread post by seej »

Good stuff! Here's hoping:)
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

seej wrote:Good stuff! Here's hoping:)

Yes, Tuesday morning looks good for the odd thunder clap over Auckland with 50knots squalls and hail. Not great storms but a good taste of winter!

UKMET forecast sounding for Auckland at midday Tuesday. Air looks dry but given SST are 18C, should get some low topped cb's. Note 500mb -33C.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.