Buying/building a decent weather station.

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
ben g

Unread post by ben g »

Been using the trusty nylex and an old yacht wind vane, that's duct taped to a bit of bamboo that's bolted to a length of 4x2 that's screwed to a tree( hey!, it's worked for years)
Time for in upgrade. Decided I'm addicted to weather and always will be.
So, what do u guys recommend ?
I don't want one of those crappy" all in one" stations, im a builder by trade, also have built my own 3d printer so have just discovered arduino electronics and can do a bit of tech stuff.

-my budgets around 700 bux
- temp, dp, baro, rain, wind speed/dir
-modular so parts can be replaced as needed easily
-I would love to be able to have current stats automatically uploaded to my (future) pws site with out the station needing to be connected to a computer that's always on the net.(updates with onboard wifi using my wireless?)
- wires to the sensors are fine
- maybe (wifi?) LCD display for the mantel piece

My first thought is to attempt something like this: http://www.uc4fun.com/oclock/oclock_hw
But it needs to be reliable.

So what u do guys use? Where do you buy from?
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

There is one good one for sale in a thread on this forum. You should look at that.
Tornado Tim

Re: Buying/building a decent weather station.

Unread post by Tornado Tim »

jamie wrote:There is one good one for sale in a thread on this forum. You should look at that.
Definitely a good one and a very good deal as well: Thread: http://www.weatherforum.org.nz/phpBB3/v ... =10&t=4879
NZAPStrike.net - NZ Aus Pacific Strike Network
Bradley

Unread post by Bradley »

Hey I just bought a weather station myself, a Lacrosse and was wondering if I need to put it in a shaded spot or should it be ok to put in a spot where the sun shines directly on it?
David

Unread post by David »

Bradley wrote:Hey I just bought a weather station myself, a Lacrosse and was wondering if I need to put it in a shaded spot or should it be ok to put in a spot where the sun shines directly on it?
Lacrosse sensors don't have a proper radiation shield, so you would have to put it in the shade to avoid over-reading temperatures in the day time. However, putting it in a shady spot means that it won't read as low on cool nights than it would if you have it out in the open.
Bradley

Unread post by Bradley »

Thanks very much for that information David, I thought it might be reading a tad high on sunny days!! I really need to buy a proper radiation shield or build myself a proper Stevenson screen!!