General August Weather

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
spwill

General August Weather

Unread post by spwill »

A mild start to August here, cloud cover and a mod NE breeze, currently 13C, dp 10C.
Tornado Tim

Re: General August Weather

Unread post by Tornado Tim »

Mostly Cloudy to cloudy today with elevated convection apparent with some mammatus.
Skies looked quite turbulent and undulating with the elevated convection around 1 PM.

Elevated convection/thunderstorms I find very interesting. The lightning strikes assoc with them can be quite spectacular as most of the them are positively charged.
NZAPStrike.net - NZ Aus Pacific Strike Network
Orion

Unread post by Orion »

Chilly start to the day here but no frost;
observed distant damp or mist lurking over Ashburton morning and evening;
noticed first wild-plum blossom of the season today. :smile:
Flutterbye
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Flutterbye »

spwill wrote:A mild start to August here, cloud cover and a mod NE breeze, currently 13C, dp 10C.

Mild? I'm in Auckland at the moment and the wind was cold all day. Even the locals reckon it wasn't 15 degrees max here today.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Flutterbye wrote:
spwill wrote:A mild start to August here, cloud cover and a mod NE breeze, currently 13C, dp 10C.

Mild? I'm in Auckland at the moment and the wind was cold all day. Even the locals reckon it wasn't 15 degrees max here today.
13C at 8.30am when I posted is mild, 12C was the overnight min, the average August minimum for Auckland is 7.5C.

The afternoon had a cool feel here due to cloud cover and the increasing NE wind. I see the max was 15C.
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

Flutterbye wrote:Mild? I'm in Auckland at the moment and the wind was cold all day. Even the locals reckon it wasn't 15 degrees max here today.
Cold is a relative term. The 15C max recorded by most reliable thermometers around Akld yesterday is about normal for this time of year. However, the strength of the wind may have made it 'feel' cooler than it actually was, because of the wind's ability to cool objects that are warmer than 15C faster than if there was little wind. Without the appropriate insulation, the human body (37C) will be robbed of heat faster than it can generate it in a strong wind of 15C, as opposed to a light wind of 15C, making it 'feel' colder than normal.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Currently 14C, above the average for the time of day, 7.50am in August. Mild :-)
David

Unread post by David »

Forecast is way off today... no rain since before 5am this morning and the easterly is nothing unusual, my station has good exposure to the east and has only recorded 43 km/h maximum.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

It seems to be a common NZ "weather sport" to seize on "colder" experiences in towns other than one's own, in tandem with hyping up the local performance whenever possible. I always found this amusing, as temperatures are much less important to me (in the NZ context) than sunshine and rainfall.
Flutterbye

RWood wrote:It seems to be a common NZ "weather sport" to seize on "colder" experiences in towns other than one's own, in tandem with hyping up the local performance whenever possible. I always found this amusing, as temperatures are much less important to me (in the NZ context) than sunshine and rainfall.

Sport?? I merely mentioned that it certainly didn't feel mild to me nor the Auckland family that I'm staying with. I noticed plenty wearing goose down jackets, including me.

It was breezy, damp and coolish in Warkworth today.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Flutterbye wrote:
Warkworth is more in the firing line on an easterly than Auckland City, the affects of the easterly reduce as you head south past Owera and Albany, this is more noticeable in Summer. South Auckland is often more like Waikato with the sheltering there.

Edit, Metservice site shows Ak Airport a little warmer and drier than Whangaporoa last two days

Cooler drier air for Auckland this morning, currently 10C, dewpoint 8C. Calm here and plenty of blue sky currently
Last edited by spwill on Sat 03/08/2013 08:11, edited 2 times in total.
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

No blue sky here,mostly light drizzle and no wind
Flutterbye

spwill wrote:
Flutterbye wrote:
Warkworth is more in the firing line on an easterly than Auckland City, the affects of the easterly reduce as you head south past Owera and Albany, this is more noticeable in Summer. South Auckland is often more like Waikato with the sheltering there.

Edit, Metservice site shows Ak Airport a little warmer and drier than Whangaporoa last two days

Cooler drier air for Auckland this morning, currently 10C, dewpoint 8C. Calm here and plenty of blue sky currently

Yes, it was dry when we got back to Auckland mid afternoon.

A pleasant morning out there now that the wind has stopped. And R Wood - I hope the Wellington weather moves me and not the earth on my couple of hours stopover tomorrow!
LOL
David

Unread post by David »

The forecast has changed to fine! Quite different from what they had last night. At the moment it's grey and cloudy in Howick with 10C.
CHCH Weather Chaser
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by CHCH Weather Chaser »

4mm here in the early hours. The radar once again showing a river type scenario inland of the city missing here with light rain/thick drizzle.
Reporting Live from Southern Christchurch
Leighton Thomas

2014 Rainfall: Jan: 21mm Feb: 76mm March: 170mm April: 201mm YTD: 468mm
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Flutterbye wrote:
spwill wrote:Warkworth is more in the firing line on an easterly than Auckland City, the affects of the easterly reduce as you head south past Owera and Albany, this is more noticeable in Summer. South Auckland is often more like Waikato with the sheltering there.

Yes, it was dry when we got back to Auckland mid afternoon.

A pleasant morning out there now that the wind has stopped. And R Wood - I hope the Wellington weather moves me and not the earth on my couple of hours stopover tomorrow!
LOL
Harmless here today, cloud but a few bright patches. May be some rain tomorrow. We had our 6th sunniest July, a big improvement on JUne.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

spwill wrote:
Flutterbye wrote:

Human temperature perception is really hopelessly subjective, with so many factors involved. I have felt "cold" at 18-19C temps at Waitangi and near Cape Reinga (in November) with just moderate-light easterly winds and a sky with thinnish middle level cloud but short brighter intervals, needed more clothing than I expected.
David

Unread post by David »

Feeling a bit like spring today, 18C here :D
einzack

Unread post by einzack »

reached 18.4°C here today. warmest day since early May. gutted as we spent the day in Hanmer Springs which was a very cool 10°C and cloudy.
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

Still warm evening on the coast, Currently 16 -17C in Greymouth at 5pm!
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

einzack wrote:reached 18.4°C here today. warmest day since early May. gutted as we spent the day in Hanmer Springs which was a very cool 10°C and cloudy.
Will be the other way round in a few days,but yes not a nice day.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Cool easterly with the temperature just getting into the double figures. 8)
JohnGaul
NZThS
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

Not a cloud in the sky now,wouldn't have expected that.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Plenty of cloud cover here for the last couple of weeks but there was enough sunshine this afternoon to allow temps to reach 18C for parts of Ak, Greylyn max was 19.9C, well above the Auckland August average max of 15C. Light winds, isolated brief light showers this morning.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

yes, has felt mild this weekend.

Couple of troughs coming our way this week, both should be supportive a few thunderstorms in the west.

Early Tuesday morning, system will be weakening but thunder/small hail on the cards for Taranaki, possibly as far north as western Waikato. Likely nothing for Auckland. You can see this system in the western Tasman now.

And another trough may be in the offering Thursday.