Regional climate change report

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
NZstorm

Re: Regional climate change report

Unread post by NZstorm »

Thanks for those numbers Neville and Bradley.

Looking at Aucklands numbers the 1990 mean was about 15.4C. Thus Gluckman is saying Aucklands mean temperature could be 16.3C by 2040.
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

Can you guys please change the 10 years to start and finish mid decade. Just for reasons that it might show something else.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

The NIWA 7 station series chart. The anomalies based on the 1971-2000 mean.

So based on 1910, the NZ mean temperature in the period 1990-2010 rose about 0.21C.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

I came across this chart for those anomalies based on the last 10 years. Its showing the halt in warming in the last 10 years for New Zealand.

I notice Gluckman in his report has said these lags in temperature rise are expected.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

I have taken the 7 station anomaly for NZ from 1950 to 2012 and plotted in the 10 year moving average.
cantygal
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by cantygal »

Agree with Christchurch Bradley overall and in some cases across the South Island there's a cooling trend so go figure. We've seen all this before over the centuries and it's interesting to note that London over part of the 1700s was warmer for a couple of decades by one degree than it is now. So ho hum this argument and money wasting but people will be people! It comes and goes in cycles and nature has proven it time and again...
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

cantygal wrote:Agree with Christchurch Bradley overall and in some cases across the South Island there's a cooling trend so go figure. We've seen all this before over the centuries and it's interesting to note that London over part of the 1700s was warmer for a couple of decades by one degree than it is now. So ho hum this argument and money wasting but people will be people! It comes and goes in cycles and nature has proven it time and again...
Cooling trend? Care to elaborate?
Bradley

Unread post by Bradley »

cantygal wrote:Agree with Christchurch Bradley overall and in some cases across the South Island there's a cooling trend so go figure. We've seen all this before over the centuries and it's interesting to note that London over part of the 1700s was warmer for a couple of decades by one degree than it is now. So ho hum this argument and money wasting but people will be people! It comes and goes in cycles and nature has proven it time and again...
That's absolutely fine for people to have their opinions and say man made global warming is real but I wish they would stop wasting tax payers money on their 'hunches'. People are dying in hospitals from lack of funding and they decide something that might happen in 50 or 100 hundred years is the priority to chew up so much money, it's bloody disgraceful in my opinion!!
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Bradley wrote:
That's absolutely fine for people to have their opinions and say man made global warming is real but I wish they would stop wasting tax payers money on their 'hunches'. People are dying in hospitals from lack of funding and they decide something that might happen in 50 or 100 hundred years is the priority to chew up so much money, it's bloody disgraceful in my opinion!!
Care to try your viewpoint out at Hot Topic?
Michael
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Michael »

If it rises enough we can be a tourist destination instead of a ski one also now our dairy products ie milk powders tainted,I prefer fiji's climate than campbell islands.
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

NZstorm wrote:I have taken the 7 station anomaly for NZ from 1950 to 2012 and plotted in the 10 year moving average.
Your 10-yr rolling average looks about right, except that it appears to be a little out of sync, i.e. 5 yrs too far forward. :-) The 10-year rolling average should represent the midpoint of that time-frame, e.g. midpoint plot for 2003-2012 should be 2007.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Temperature anomalies for the 2 poles according to satellite data since 1979. Sourced from NOAA.