Posting coming weather events?

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Storm Struck

Posting coming weather events?

Unread post by Storm Struck »

It can be abit much to post about up and coming weather events by creating a topic early, but how early is too early?
Obviously you wouldn't post 6-7 days out as models can and will change over time, but with patience and general talk until closer to the event I reackon 3 days is a good cut off?
Yes the models will still change but not by much, at this point its safe to say we will definatly get something just to what extent and where that might change.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
trickytiger

Re: Posting coming weather events?

Unread post by trickytiger »

I'd be happy with 3 days for a dedicated thread on the event, anymore should be kept to the general chat of the month been far too many posted to far in advance in the past that have nearly always turned into a non-event.
CWUweather
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by CWUweather »

I tend to agree. I created one for the incoming sub-tropical low yesterday. 5 days? maybe to far but still, it is looking likely. Been locked so hopefully unlocked soon!
Live updates from Northern Christchurch!
Weather enthusiast turned analyst since 1996, now running CWU on Facebook!
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

My thoughts are within 7 days should be fine to start a new thread as long there is some agreement between two models or some consistency within one model.
I don't like seeing threads being locked, we want to encourage discussion here.
CWUweather
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by CWUweather »

spwill wrote:My thoughts are within 7 days should be fine to start a new thread as long there is some agreement between two models or some consistency within one model.
I do agree. 5 days is fine especially if the models are in some sort of agreement of what will take place.
Live updates from Northern Christchurch!
Weather enthusiast turned analyst since 1996, now running CWU on Facebook!
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

I am easy but a 6 day limit would be fine by me, especially if the post refers to a major pattern.
Orion

Unread post by Orion »

spwill wrote:My thoughts are within 7 days should be fine to start a new thread as long there is some agreement between two models or some consistency within one model.
_b
Agree.
Tornado Tim

Unread post by Tornado Tim »

spwill wrote: I don't like seeing threads being locked, we want to encourage discussion here.
Nothing is stopping people from discussing it. As mentioned in the threads note: comments can still be made in the September thread.
Fellow Moderators including myself can move posts to relevant threads when/if the time comes.

What us Moderators do, is try and keep the forum clean,tidy and relevant. Remember that what we do is unpaid and is for the forums benefit. People have different opinions on how to moderate, just remember the Admin/Mod team all have one common objective: for this to be a successful, open environment to communicate,collaborate and discuss the Weather around us.
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

spwill wrote:
This is the main reason this forum has become a dead duck to me lately, just hate it when people post something and it gets locked because "its too far out" especially when its within a week. Its seemed petty and elitist at times.

If this can be fixed up I might start coming back more often, its really been a frustration for this weather enthusiast. Locking pages and constant thread mergings and changing titles, never seen it on any website other than this one
Christchurch Rocks
shovelopikis

Unread post by shovelopikis »

Razor wrote:
spwill wrote:
This is the main reason this forum has become a dead duck to me lately, just hate it when people post something and it gets locked because "its too far out" especially when its within a week. Its seemed petty and elitist at times.

If this can be fixed up I might start coming back more often, its really been a frustration for this weather enthusiast. Locking pages and constant thread mergings and changing titles, never seen it on any website other than this one
and i have noticed just that...look back on other years archives and you see comment totals and thread topics have fallen...not sure if its less users/fear of damnation/ or what???

but there is sure a hell of a lot less interesting mini topics about local weather patterns/things of interest/ observations...this year especially is all about putting everything in a monthly observation thread :-s

...And this is why most of my reading is done in the archives, where its fresh, informative, good debates, and more importantly ... NOBODY FROM 2003-2012 WROTE LIKE ROBOTS. [-X

(thats my two cents...would love to see more old styled forum topics and less 2013,boring,structured, computer-like reporting)

Cheers
ShOvEl0PiKiS
(may the storms be with you)
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

The internet has changed alot since the forum has started, so I find it hard comparing one year to another. When I joined the forum there was no social media, the forum was the 'only' place to go. The discussion on this forum tends to be more technical, which I enjoy while on most Facebook weather pages it tends to be a rather boring "howes the drizzle today" (no offence to drizzle lovers). Check out the weather Facebook pages in Australia there is probably about 50, its crazy.

btw its not just weather forums facebook has impacted but pretty much all interests/fan sites etc
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
shovelopikis

Unread post by shovelopikis »

03Stormchaser wrote:The internet has changed alot since the forum has started, so I find it hard comparing one year to another. When I joined the forum there was no social media, the forum was the 'only' place to go. The discussion on this forum tends to be more technical, which I enjoy while on most Facebook weather pages it tends to be a rather boring "howes the drizzle today" (no offence to drizzle lovers). Check out the weather Facebook pages in Australia there is probably about 50, its crazy.

btw its not just weather forums facebook has impacted but pretty much all interests/fan sites etc
i only use it to keep in contact with friends/family
everyone uses it for many reasons, but as more and more social media outlets are available, the more chance its spread out evenly all over the web rather than niche forums or sites

its sad, but to each their own.