General October Weather

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
mikestormchaser

Re: General October Weather

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

Well that was a chase and a half.. a short lived but very scarey thunderstorm that passed over us at the ashburton river mouth, close lightning overhead, and as steve said as we were leaving to get out of the rain and hail we were hit with an almighty bang of wind!
Never expereinced anything like it, if i thought the winds were bad in that NW wind storm 6 weeks ago then this was something els.. i literaly thought we were going to be sucked up or rolled!!
Very scarey stuff! the CBs were low topped so conditions compared to saturday as ' nzstorm mentiond' were different.
Still mananged to get a good storm though :)
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
Orion

Unread post by Orion »

Very turbulent!
Be careful out there...
Great descriptions and pictures - thanks folks! =D>
GreggWard

Unread post by GreggWard »

Great video. I had the sound turned up and it looked and sounded really stormy.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Thanks for the photos and that clip Steve, quite a stormy few days down there as it has been around NZ lately.

Looks like the Westerlies gradually retreat south over the next couple of weeks.
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

Yeah, captivating reports guys and cool waterspout and lightning footage! _b
David

Unread post by David »

David wrote:Hmm, after just having a moderate rain shower and the weather station reading 0mm I realised there must be something wrong with my rain gauge... thankfully taking the plug out of the transmitter circuit board and then replugging it in seems to have fixed the issue (maybe it had worked it's way loose somehow). Phew!
Nope still seems to be having issues... just had a heavy shower and the weather station is showing nothing :(
Manukau heads obs
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

maybe check for spider webs
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
David

Unread post by David »

Manukau heads obs wrote:maybe check for spider webs
Turns out some nasty bird did a #2 in the cone 8-o This left it completely blocked. I don't know how it recorded 0.2mm at 1.30am this morning though!
Tornado Tim

Unread post by Tornado Tim »

David wrote:
Manukau heads obs wrote:maybe check for spider webs
Turns out some nasty bird did a #2 in the cone 8-o This left it completely blocked. I don't know how it recorded 0.2mm at 1.30am this morning though!
LOL typical Geek arnt you Dave! I'm probably the same, think its a more deeper problem than it actually is :)
NZAPStrike.net - NZ Aus Pacific Strike Network
ricky

Unread post by ricky »

I had exactly the same thing a while ago!
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

Ol Ma Nature has been throwing her toys out of the cot this week.

Windy and wet and this graphs says it all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

we have missed alot of that NW rain here
only 19mm month to date here..and this wind is drying things out quickly....and no real rain in sight
(unless can get an easterly surge type event or a shallow cut off low next week?)
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
Lacertae

Unread post by Lacertae »

A shot of the showers to my south yesterday at about 19:30.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Earth has music for those who listen.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Interesting report from Steve and Mikey Stewart.
Strange that I saw no lightning from here in that as I was keeping a keen eye in that direction all evening.
Obviously, very localised where you were at the Ashburton River mouth.
Even though scary, shows you what it is like to be in the midst of it.
Good on yer, Canterbury Storm Chasers :D
JohnGaul
NZThS
cbm

Unread post by cbm »

11:45pm according to report, so tallies with the 11:30pm gust.
20131016_223934.jpg

cbm wrote:Yes, 1B in Cambridge. ValMai House. Came across it early Sat afternoon so assume it must have come down Friday night. I'm on the opposite side of town but observed the peak of the winds about the time you meantion - got 30m+ Oak and Plane trees very near my place, always been a slight worry what would happen if one came down. Someone in that street would have heard exactly when it came down... it might be in the local paper this week. It should have coped with a 60-70km/hr gust just fine if it was healthy but it obviously had a rotten section.
moylanr

Unread post by moylanr »

03Stormchaser wrote:Watched the gust front make land fall at the Ashburton River mouth. Saw quite a few Cg's, a distant waterspout, little rotation in the clouds and hail. Recorded winds gusts of 70kmph on my anemometer.

It was starting to hail and Aaron had just left in his car was it was parked behind mine. As I go to leave (Mike Stewart was in the car aswell) we are hit with a massive wind to the side of my car rocking it violently, then it appeared like it hit on multiple sides of the my wagon (Got a Subaru Grand Wagon, not a very light car at all) I grabbed the steering wheel as tight as I could and yelled at Mikey to hold on, with no idea what was going to happen next. I've been in 100km winds and this was worst than that, I thought we were going to roll at this point. Next second it feels like we are being lifted and I turn around and see my wagon is being lifted then dropped, lifted the dropped, this happened about 4 times. I'm unsure if it was lifting the wheels off the ground or not but it appeared like it was being lifted about a foot, more travel than the suspension.

At some point we slid as well unsure when that was but the whole experience only last probably 5-10 seconds, but felt like forever at the time. Even now 3.5 hrs later I still have that shaky feeling!!

No damage to my car, only noticeable thing that happened was the wing mirrors were bent towards the front.

Whether it was a tornado (waterspout that came ashore), a downburst, or just a strong gust im unsure. But right before packing up we witnessed rotations in the couds heading our way. What ever it was it sure got the blood flowing, wont stop me getting that close to a storm though!
Hey I realise my earlier comment about living the dream may have been insensitive now that I see it could have been more like a nightmare at the time, sorry.

Really appreciate what you guys do, so that we can enjoy extreme weather on screen! _b

That warrants more than just a post under 'General October'. Who do I recommend to that it gets the award for Storm Chase Services (or Surviors) 2013??
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

moylanr wrote:
03Stormchaser wrote:Watched the gust front make land fall at the Ashburton River mouth. Saw quite a few Cg's, a distant waterspout, little rotation in the clouds and hail. Recorded winds gusts of 70kmph on my anemometer.

It was starting to hail and Aaron had just left in his car was it was parked behind mine. As I go to leave (Mike Stewart was in the car aswell) we are hit with a massive wind to the side of my car rocking it violently, then it appeared like it hit on multiple sides of the my wagon (Got a Subaru Grand Wagon, not a very light car at all) I grabbed the steering wheel as tight as I could and yelled at Mikey to hold on, with no idea what was going to happen next. I've been in 100km winds and this was worst than that, I thought we were going to roll at this point. Next second it feels like we are being lifted and I turn around and see my wagon is being lifted then dropped, lifted the dropped, this happened about 4 times. I'm unsure if it was lifting the wheels off the ground or not but it appeared like it was being lifted about a foot, more travel than the suspension.

At some point we slid as well unsure when that was but the whole experience only last probably 5-10 seconds, but felt like forever at the time. Even now 3.5 hrs later I still have that shaky feeling!!

No damage to my car, only noticeable thing that happened was the wing mirrors were bent towards the front.

Whether it was a tornado (waterspout that came ashore), a downburst, or just a strong gust im unsure. But right before packing up we witnessed rotations in the couds heading our way. What ever it was it sure got the blood flowing, wont stop me getting that close to a storm though!
Hey I realise my earlier comment about living the dream may have been insensitive now that I see it could have been more like a nightmare at the time, sorry.

Really appreciate what you guys do, so that we can enjoy extreme weather on screen! _b

That warrants more than just a post under 'General October'. Who do I recommend to that it gets the award for Storm Chase Services (or Surviors) 2013??
No worries, I didn't take your comment as insensitive. Although looking back at the time, yes it was almost like a nightmare. We had no idea if it was going to get worse or not, luckily it didn't.
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
matttbs

Unread post by matttbs »

03Stormchaser wrote:Whether it was a tornado (waterspout that came ashore), a downburst, or just a strong gust im unsure. But right before packing up we witnessed rotations in the couds heading our way. What ever it was it sure got the blood flowing, wont stop me getting that close to a storm though!

I was chasing a funnel cloud that got around 3-400m off the ground just inland of hinds until it became severly rain wrapped and i could no longer see it. The winds that were among that were amazingly strong, could hardly stay on the road, rather large hail too.
Auckland & Tauranga
CHCH Weather Chaser

Unread post by CHCH Weather Chaser »

Warm day here today. Sunny with some high cloud taking over at times - sitting on 26 degrees.
Reporting Live from Southern Christchurch
Leighton Thomas

2014 Rainfall: Jan: 21mm Feb: 76mm March: 170mm April: 201mm YTD: 468mm
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

I was chasing a funnel cloud that got around 3-400m off the ground just inland of hinds until it became severly rain wrapped and i could no longer see it. The winds that were among that were amazingly strong, could hardly stay on the road, rather large hail too.
What direction were those winds coming from?
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

I was chasing a funnel cloud that got around 3-400m off the ground just inland of hinds until it became severly rain wrapped and i could no longer see it. The winds that were among that were amazingly strong, could hardly stay on the road, rather large hail too.[/quote]

Ah so it was a funnel cloud I seen, I was around the Hinds area chasing too but I went back to Ashburton to get a feed when I looked back on the sky there was a very faint roping figure that possibly only lasted 10-15 seconds.
I wasn't sure as there was a lot of Virga that day with wispy shafts that looked like funnels but were not.
Unlike the others I was late as I finished work at half 4 and headed south but I couldn't keep up and when you are chasing by yourself with not too much happening you loose faith in sticking around.
My hightlight of the night was sitting down at Pines Beach not far from home and watching the lightning show to the SE, very active lots of CG's sometimes up to 3 at once.

Im sure there will be plenty more chases to come this season given the current trend, maybe some of our excellent north island chasers should come down in November or December if storms fall on a weekend like they have been, I would imagine different kind of storms down here to experience although you do get some good isolated storms too.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
Tornado Tim

The cold South to South West change is showing up on Blitzortung, indicating the Cold front and elevated embedded storms.

Should get windy down South soon, hold on your hats guys ;)

Invercargill and South Otago could get some squally showers with hail with a trough passing through with very cold temps upstairs.
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

Raining here with some good thunder booming around the hills. Temp 13 deg.
Tornado Tim

Looks like some moderate spillover with the embedded storms on the front.

Partly to mostly cloud here with some puffy cumulus around.
bpo

Re: Thunderstorms possible North Island 8 October

Unread post by bpo »

A nice wee thunderstorm has been raging all morning down here.

http://www.blitzortung.org/Webpages/ind ... bpage_0=21