Best climate in NZ

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Alessandro
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Best climate in NZ

Unread post by Alessandro »

Where is the mildest climate in NZ?
Less windy?
Best regards
Alessandro
Bradley

Re: Best climate in NZ

Unread post by Bradley »

Definately Invercargill, very mild winters, warm summers and not a breath of wind all year round...
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Kermedec Islands would be my ideal NZ climate!
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

In summer? Sheltered areas do very well. Alexandra, Wanaka, Kawerau, Whakatane...
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Whitianga to Whakatane for me, ( coastal Bay of Plenty) the climate data tells the story :-).

The highest mean temperatures are Northland/Auckland.
The hottest spells in summer occur in the inland basins and east coast parts of the country that catch the fohn NW wind.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Bradley wrote:Definately Invercargill, very mild winters, warm summers and not a breath of wind all year round...
Oh yeah, :lol:
JohnGaul
NZThS
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

Motueka ticks alot of boxes
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

I agree Tasman Disrtict from Nelson through to Motueka, Golden Bay is good but can get some meaty storms from the NW.
This is where I plan to live one day in the maybe near future, loads of jobs in my kinda area up there and plenty to do in the outdoors.
Live and work where you holiday :B sounds good to me.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Purely subjective choice. For me sunshine comes first, so I pick the Nelson-Motueka and Blenheim areas (not the faker Whakatane whose recent "records" make a nonsense of the old standings).
Manukau heads obs

Motueaka is less windy than Nelson , for the NW wind
so thats a bonus
and misses some of the heavy northerly rain too (that Nelson gets)
(main rain is only spill over rain from northern westland)
snowstormwatcher

Unread post by snowstormwatcher »

Nelsons Climate is overrated. too much wind and rain from the North plus to humid in Summer. I reckon Tekapo Has a Great Climate. High sunshine in fact more than Nelson last year, plus its never humid and apart from the NW there is not a lot of wind. Winters are cold but I like the seasonal variation.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Manukau heads obs wrote:Motueaka is less windy than Nelson , for the NW wind
so thats a bonus
and misses some of the heavy northerly rain too (that Nelson gets)
(main rain is only spill over rain from northern westland)
Motueka is 25% wetter than Nelson, so the latter has a slight advantage for me, given sunshine is about equal.
Record monthly totals at Riwaka exceed 500mm, and the 2nd highest value in April 1957 came from persistent northerly airstreams. August 1990, the wettest for the site, was rather similar.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

snowstormwatcher wrote:Nelsons Climate is overrated. too much wind and rain from the North plus to humid in Summer. I reckon Tekapo Has a Great Climate. High sunshine in fact more than Nelson last year, plus its never humid and apart from the NW there is not a lot of wind. Winters are cold but I like the seasonal variation.
Yes, Tekapo is sunny though the LTA is certainly lower than Nelson's - and the nights are pretty cold. Beautiful area though. Nelson's summer seabreeze is pretty refreshing and I certainly wouldn't tag it with the kind of humid conditions experienced in Auckland and Hamilton (eg).

Re sunshine last year, you have to reckon with the fact that Tekapo Aero is using an EWS, and Nelson Aero isn't.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

RWood wrote: Nelson's summer seabreeze is pretty refreshing and I certainly wouldn't tag it with the kind of humid conditions experienced in Auckland and Hamilton (eg).
My Queensland friends find Auckland too cold in the Summer so humidity is a relative thing.

For me Nelson is too cold with 86.2 frost days a year.
Manukau heads obs

Manurewa has a nice climate I have been told
lots of refreshing SW winds ;)
jamie

Best climate in NZ

Unread post by jamie »

Whakatane. It gets the sun and the storms. Or papamoa. I suppose that entire BOP coastline is a great climate.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

spwill wrote:
RWood wrote: Nelson's summer seabreeze is pretty refreshing and I certainly wouldn't tag it with the kind of humid conditions experienced in Auckland and Hamilton (eg).
My Queensland friends find Auckland too cold in the Summer so humidity is a relative thing.

For me Nelson is too cold with 86.2 frost days a year.
I don't really care about frost - the highest sunshine tallies in the winter months in NZ are at places that get frosts, and that includes Whakatane. Much better that than higher rainfalls accompanying milder cloudier days.
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

I don't think Nelson really has that muggy heat well not the times ive been there, Golden Bay definatly does but that goes with the left over humid air that drifts across from Kaharungi National Park and the northern west coast.
Temperatures seem to average in the Tasman district in late spring to early autumn around 23-26C occasionally reaching 30-32C in the summer, I am not sure what the highest temperature recordings are for the bays?
Tekapo is too much of a dry barren dust bowl for me but that's a personal preference not climatic.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Storm Struck wrote:I don't think Nelson really has that muggy heat well not the times ive been there, Golden Bay definatly does but that goes with the left over humid air that drifts across from Kaharungi National Park and the northern west coast.
Agree.
Temperatures seem to average in the Tasman district in late spring to early autumn around 23-26C occasionally reaching 30-32C in the summer, I am not sure what the highest temperature recordings are for the bays?
Tekapo is too much of a dry barren dust bowl for me but that's a personal preference not climatic.
Tekapo averages around 600mm/year, a lot higher than the Alexandra area, and only slightly lower than Chch-Kaiapoi.

Living in a place that gets at least double the annula rainfall I would prefer, I always found the "barren" landscapes of Central Otago and the Mackenzie a welcome change from perpetual greenness.

Ideal (not of course realisable in NZ) - a Mediterranean or semi-desert climate with 3000+ hours of sunshine and at least 4 months of virtually rainless conditions.
Last edited by RWood on Mon 13/01/2014 08:05, edited 1 time in total.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

If you look at the historical sunshine data there is not a huge difference in summer sunshine between Bay of Plenty, East Coast North Island, upper South Island and Tekapo. They are the 4 sunniest regions in summer but South Island has the edge in the numbers.
For example Blenheim 733hrs, Tuaranga 713hrs. (Dec/Jan/Feb)
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

Manukau heads obs wrote:Motueka ticks alot of boxes
That would be my pick.
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

NZstorm wrote:If you look at the historical sunshine data there is not a huge difference in summer sunshine between Bay of Plenty, East Coast North Island, upper South Island and Tekapo. They are the 4 sunniest regions in summer but South Island has the edge in the numbers.
For example Blenheim 733hrs, Tuaranga 713hrs. (Dec/Jan/Feb)
Looking at the old manual-era averages, Blenheim & Nelson have an edge over the other localities year-round.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

RWood wrote:
I don't really care about frost - the highest sunshine tallies in the winter months in NZ are at places that get frosts, and that includes Whakatane.
Moving personal preference aside, less frost has to be better. There is less frost in the BOP and look at the average maximums as well.

Is Tekapo NZ coldest town ?
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

spwill wrote:
RWood wrote:
I don't really care about frost - the highest sunshine tallies in the winter months in NZ are at places that get frosts, and that includes Whakatane.
Moving personal preference aside, less frost has to be better. There is less frost in the BOP and look at the average maximums as well.

Is Tekapo NZ coldest town ?
Why "better"? Frost followed by sunshine was always preferable to damp mild days, for me. The BOP can get pretty humid, too, when you're considering summer maxima.

For Tmeans (1981-2010) only Naseby is lower on NIWA's normals, but Tmax is a different story. Places like Gore in the south come in lower, as does Waiouru. For summer Tmax values, Tekapo's numbers are quite respectable.

Referring to the original poster's question, "less windY" can come at a price. Try Taumarunui - notorious for fogs, and the average windspeeds are very low.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

RWood wrote:
Why "better"? Frost followed by sunshine was always preferable to damp mild days, for me. The BOP can get pretty humid, too, when you're considering summer maxima.
A fine day without frost is better, Sunny BOP has less frost.
Does Whangarei have a better winter climate than Alexandra ?

With regard to the northern humidity, places like Noosa Qld in Summer, Raratonga in Winter and Hawaii are far more humid than here, these are places that Kiwis flock to for the weather.