Interesting Wellington Fog

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Interesting Wellington Fog

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

I have been up with in-laws in Upper Hutt over the past week and today we flew home from Wellington, eventually.
The Upper Hutt was fine but as we got closer to Wellington you could see the fog/low cloud rolling in from the south over the airport.
In areas away from the airport it was quite warm with temperatures of 30C recorded @ Upper Hutt and 27 in Lower Hutt but @ the airport it was 16C under the low cloud, which was apparently the same temperature as the sea. :>
JohnGaul
NZThS
RWood

Re: Interesting Wellington Fog

Unread post by RWood »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:I have been up with in-laws in Upper Hutt over the past week and today we flew home from Wellington, eventually.
The Upper Hutt was fine but as we got closer to Wellington you could see the fog/low cloud rolling in from the south over the airport.
In areas away from the airport it was quite warm with temperatures of 30C recorded @ Upper Hutt and 27 in Lower Hutt but @ the airport it was 16C under the low cloud, which was apparently the same temperature as the sea. :>
Quite dense in parts last night. Out at Petone where I am currently working there was a fringe zone this morning with sun shining through patchy layers. It cleared completely there by about 1230 pm. A light northerly flow should set in during the night, killing any stuff out at sea as well. Got to 25C in the city this afternoon.