General June Weather

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Re: General June Weather

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Been a foggy day here, especially this morning and from later this afternoon.
Light SW winds.
JohnGaul
NZThS
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Looking like top of North Island will get a good soaking late Sunday to early Wednesday. Coromandal Ranges will be the wettest spot as usual with about 300mm likely.
Manukau heads obs
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

no wind here and some fog in the valley this morning
was expecting a freshening NNE...
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

Moderate NE'er here. Relatively warm night too... only down to 13C.
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

Certainly not as warm as that here this morning on 8deg.Thick high cloud and a few spots of rain,bit of low cloud coming over the hills to the SE.
David

Unread post by David »

Still hard to guess how much rain we are going to get... Yesterday GFS said up to 150mm, this morning it says 50mm :-k
CWUweather

Unread post by CWUweather »

Last two GFS runs been consistent... well for ChCh anyway. Indicated 114mm last night, and 110mm this morning. Surface maps also starting to play ball. Hope it doesn't come through, otherwise we will be dealing with more flooding I would think.
MetService have one watch out for "NORTHERN WESTLAND AND BULLER SATURDAY NIGHT AND SUNDAY" are they seeing something we are not.... does the prospect of 100mm+ not require a watch? Hopefully they issue some this afternoon or tomorrow morning.
Last edited by CWUweather on Sun 08/06/2014 08:59, edited 1 time in total.
Live updates from Northern Christchurch!
Weather enthusiast turned analyst since 1996, now running CWU on Facebook!
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

Yesterday GFS said up to 150mm, this morning it says 50mm
as I say, you need to only use the rain totals as a guide and dont get hung up on the actual numbers
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
David

Unread post by David »

Manukau heads obs wrote:
Yesterday GFS said up to 150mm, this morning it says 50mm
as I say, you need to only use the rain totals as a guide and dont get hung up on the actual numbers
Yeah, but there is too much of a difference there for it to be even useful as a guide LOL

I see Northland and Coromandel now have rainfall warnings, with 100-140mm expected there.
jamie

General June Weather

Unread post by jamie »

I hope the new radar comes online tomorrow
matttbs

Unread post by matttbs »

There is mention of chch in the warning but only for 40 - 50mm
Auckland & Tauranga
Dale

Unread post by Dale »

OVC but dry for the most part here this morning, that is supposed to change into tonight & tomorrow. Looking out off the coast now, it is darkening up. Ol mate Jim said last night we topped out around 75mm of rainfall for yesterday (midnight to -- ) .. sounds and going by the level of minor flooding, about right.. perhaps a little more in isolated pockets.
CWUweather

matttbs wrote:There is mention of chch in the warning but only for 40 - 50mm
My feeling is we might double that, last 3 GFS runs have been 114mm, 110mm and 101mm, so on the way down but reasonably consistent.... it is a waiting game none the less
melja

Unread post by melja »

Dale 68mm here at the bach in Kumara J from 9pm friday night when we arrived to 6am this morning when it stopped.
Very warm for this time of year tho and even no grit on the highway over here.
melja

Unread post by melja »

In a SE chch will get sheltering and im not sure the models pick that up, M/S will and im sure thats there reasoning.
Thats why its a foothills type event.
einzack

Unread post by einzack »

Dale & melja - only 20.2mm here further inland, and nothing yet today.
CWUweather

melja wrote:In a SE chch will get sheltering and im not sure the models pick that up, M/S will and im sure thats there reasoning.
Thats why its a foothills type event.
I think it will end up feeding in more from the ENE for most of tomorrow and Tuesday, then turn SE when we run out of moisture a little... lets just wait and see. :-)
CWUweather

Just had a wee check, looks like the low re-deepens on Wednesday night, this was always going to happen, but the current positioning of it means that more rain could get fed into Canterbury on Thursday and Friday. Lets hope that doesn't happen!
Tornado Tim

Unread post by Tornado Tim »

Why do I get a headache whenever models are literally taken at face value..... drives me blimmin bonkers! >_<

Anyway a relatively good day today so far with some cirrus and the odd cumulus thrown in. Rather a chilly morning around 4 degrees, now up to 18 now.
NZAPStrike.net - NZ Aus Pacific Strike Network
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

That first initial warning of 40-50mm is just for the first wave of rain so from 9am tomorrow morning, the bulker rain comes in Tuesday.
It is a question of what the general windflow will be as the peninsula does shelter the city in a SE flow or ESE, but it does look a more trending straight easterly which can often bring some quite torrential bursts even on the coastline.
Feel for those in town in the new flood prone areas, just wish something was done now instead of these money wasting short term fix its q- .

Yesterday was a funny day, by the sounds of it most of the city southwards had a dull day with low cloud and fog.
But in Kaiapoi we had clearish skies with high cloud from mid morning, then sunshine into the afternoon reached a mild 16.7C with a light northerly.
When driving into town at night the usual cut off was right exactly at the Waimak river where the fog started.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

Yesterday in Cashmere area was a magnificent day, fog free after 10am and a nice day for walking in the hills.

As for doing something for the flood prone areas- what would you do then Jason, over what is already being done? It is easier to say than to do unfortunately.

But, Council are working tirelessly to do what can be done. Temporary pumps are this weekend being installed, financial support has been delivered in various manners for the houses affected and so far as I am aware the flood prone areas are not new, but they have been worsened by EQ related failures for which there is not an easy quick fix.

No one anticipated back to back record rain months like March and April- hence the problem has been double underlined this year and not so much the previous 3 drier years.
Christchurch Rocks
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Storm Struck wrote:
Yesterday was a funny day, by the sounds of it most of the city southwards had a dull day with low cloud and fog.
But in Kaiapoi we had clearish skies with high cloud from mid morning, then sunshine into the afternoon reached a mild 16.7C with a light northerly.
When driving into town at night the usual cut off was right exactly at the Waimak river where the fog started.
Yes. It was foggy for much of the day here with a light SW and I thought it was strange as the aeroplanes seemed to flying, as usual, out of the airport? :?:
JohnGaul
NZThS
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Razor wrote:Yesterday in Cashmere area was a magnificent day, fog free after 10am and a nice day for walking in the hills.
Must of been a fog bank to the south observed from the Port Hills.
Sounds like BP doing it's sheltering effect, I mean looks like?
JohnGaul
NZThS
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Razor wrote:Yesterday in Cashmere area was a magnificent day, fog free after 10am and a nice day for walking in the hills.

As for doing something for the flood prone areas- what would you do then Jason, over what is already being done? It is easier to say than to do unfortunately.

But, Council are working tirelessly to do what can be done. Temporary pumps are this weekend being installed, financial support has been delivered in various manners for the houses affected and so far as I am aware the flood prone areas are not new, but they have been worsened by EQ related failures for which there is not an easy quick fix.

No one anticipated back to back record rain months like March and April- hence the problem has been double underlined this year and not so much the previous 3 drier years.
What i mean by that is yes short term things are being done, but they are pointless its obvious the land is reclaiming its natural swamp and man would be foolish to even consider rebuilding on these areas.
Pick the homes up and relocate them if need be then atleast people have some kind of memories.
This wrapping homes in protective wrap is crap, and the residents are expected to do it themselves it's not their problem.
They are holding onto too much of the city its time to build west and north and let go.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

Storm Struck wrote:[

What i mean by that is yes short term things are being done, but they are pointless its obvious the land is reclaiming its natural swamp and man would be foolish to even consider rebuilding on these areas.
Pick the homes up and relocate them if need be then atleast people have some kind of memories.
This wrapping homes in protective wrap is crap, and the residents are expected to do it themselves it's not their problem.
They are holding onto too much of the city its time to build west and north and let go.
I totally agree Jason,after all its only going to get worse with sea level rise,how much were they talking of spending long term.15m??,spend that on moving the people out!!