Auckland or Christchurch?

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Gary McConnochie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Auckland or Christchurch?

Unread post by Gary McConnochie »

Yes but it doesn't have that dam humidity in the summer :-)
melja

Re: Auckland or Christchurch?

Unread post by melja »

Why are we talking Tekapo anyway, it a sh#t hole and not that warm with it getting the coastal NE up through Burkes pass in the summer.
The twizel end is much lower and warmer i feel.
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

Haha big call calling Tekapo a sh.ithole compared to Twizel !!
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Who has more wind run,Auckland or Chch,I reckon Auckland would.
melja

Unread post by melja »

Tekapo is dirty, old, has now supermarkets or anyting new going for it.
Twizel on the other hand has a very nice new supermarket, great cafes and pubs, small shopping area and a nice new petrol station too.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

melja wrote:Tekapo is dirty, old, has now supermarkets or anyting new going for it.
Twizel on the other hand has a very nice new supermarket, great cafes and pubs, small shopping area and a nice new petrol station too.
Totally disagree. Twizel is just another village - Tekapo has a spectacular beauty that the worst human efforts can't destroy. I have plenty of photos to support that. Your claims of it being much warmer are exaggerated, as I have pointed out in the past. Also, there is no sushine data for Twizel - if it ever gets set up, I warrant it will trail Tekapo. PS - I've heard Twizel described in more derogatory terms than your crass phrase.hy
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

Personally, I love Tekapo, especially the fact that its not over developed. Twizel is flat and boring by comparison. But beuaty is in the eye of the beholder.

I would happily live in Tekapo!
Christchurch Rocks
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Wow - with those exciting attractions I'm sure lots of people come to NZ to see Twizel ... They could stay home and not bother.v
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Razor wrote:Personally, I love Tekapo, especially the fact that its not over developed. Twizel is flat and boring by comparison. But beuaty is in the eye of the beholder.

Right on! For similar reasons I wouldn't shift to the Hutt just to get less wind (and more rain and less sun, something Huttites conveniently deny or ignore)."
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Razor wrote:Personally, I love Tekapo, especially the fact that its not over developed. Twizel is flat and boring by comparison. But beuaty is in the eye of the beholder.

I find Tekapo very touristy, I prefer the local atmosphere at Twizel, local pub etc. No one doubts the beauty of the Tekapo area but I think the town is quite ugly. I'm with melja
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

I don't go to the Mackenzie for the pubs,shops and cafes.
Lake Tekapo and surrounds is one of the most attractive spots in the South Island.
Twizel township is a bypass for me.Ruataniwha and Benmore are great spots though.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

never been to twizel or tekapo so whats the weather like there,guess cold and dry in winter and hot in summer generally
melja

Unread post by melja »

Yes i do find the tekapo area very scenic but the town it self is another story, it lacks any real rural town character and take a walk up the main street and you will be confronted with a see of cigarette butts left by the endless tour buses coming to by tacky souvenirs from every second shop.
You would be hard pressed to find a kiwi down the main street and if you did they are not happy unless they can strip you bear of your cash for there over priced food, drinks or other products.

And Rwood take a read of what i said "The twizel end is much lower and warmer i feel."
The climate is not all about trolling through countless pages of meaningless data and stats, to get a true feeling for a places climate you have to spend time in it to get a full picture and im sure your computer cant do this yet. I on the other hand spend a total of around 8-9 weeks a year down there so im pretty sure i know how it feels to "ME".
Tekapo is high and so has a dryer climate and as we know low RH make it feel cooler, it also blows more in tekapo and as we know if we stand in the wind it makes it feel cooler and im sure a few Avg temp stats dont account for those things that we feel on our body.
shovelopikis

Unread post by shovelopikis »

Deano wrote:Haha big call calling Tekapo a sh.ithole compared to Twizel !!
Twizel is much better climate wise
not to mention it has lake ohau- a much better lake for fishing and water sports

the town is growing with a real community whereas tekapo is yet another tourist farce to add to a growing list in this country.

(watch that tekapo trail on the shady side of mt john....slippery stuff in winter)
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

I prefer to Dunedin than Invercargill as Dunedin has much nicer buildings, although Invercargill can be more windier? :rolleyes: :D
JohnGaul
NZThS
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Deano wrote:I don't go to the Mackenzie for the pubs,shops and cafes.
No one does but it adds to the holiday experience if the food is of reasonable quality and not overpriced. :-)

The Salmon farm shop at Twizel might be a good reason to go the Mackenzie :D
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

I'm not changing my opinion on the strength of Melja's climate comments. In addition I would add that several bus drivers that did the tourist routes said the same thing to me - Tekapo is where they would be most likely to see the sun. Given the higher altitude, naturally it is somewhat cooler. Look at the histories however and you find quite a number of spells of freezing fogs and sunless hoar frosts reported at Twizel, worse than that experienced further north.

Trashy human artefacts can be removed - nothing to do with the scenery. I've spent my few hours in Twizel, nothing to attract me back there.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:I prefer to Dunedin than Invercargill as Dunedin has much nicer buildings, although Invercargill can be more windier? :rolleyes: :D
Invercargill is windier, wetter and slightly cloudier than Dunedin, though in December and January I would prefer it over Dunedin for weather.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

The only time I been to Invers was 31c that day in 1998 though hear how cold it is normally,the night was hot 20c too
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

spwill wrote:
Deano wrote:I don't go to the Mackenzie for the pubs,shops and cafes.
No one does but it adds to the holiday experience if the food is of reasonable quality and not overpriced. :-)

The Salmon farm shop at Twizel might be a good reason to go the Mackenzie :D
If farmed pellet fed Salmon is your thing

We usually stock the chilly bin back at home and head for the hills,never had problems if we have to stock up in Tekapo for supplies.Beer, food,takeaways all reasonable and on a par with here in Ash.....
Last edited by Dean. on Sun 27/07/2014 08:52, edited 1 time in total.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

RWood wrote:
NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:I prefer to Dunedin than Invercargill as Dunedin has much nicer buildings, although Invercargill can be more windier? :rolleyes: :D
Invercargill is windier, wetter and slightly cloudier than Dunedin, though in December and January I would prefer it over Dunedin for weather.
The rule of thumb with the east of the country is the further north you go, the better the climate. Dunedin has better sheltering to Invercargill from the roaring 40's weather.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Deano wrote:
If farmed pellet fed Salmon is your thing?
I prefer the wild Salmon caught in our braided rivers !

[/quote]
I'll try remember to take my fishing rod next trip :mrgreen:
I've had a few bad food experiences in Tekapo but both Twizel and Tekapo would not be in the NZ top town list.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

spwill wrote:
Deano wrote: I'll try remember to take my fishing rod next trip :mrgreen:
I've had a few bad food experiences in Tekapo but both Twizel and Tekapo would not be in the NZ top town list.
The Hermitage Mt Cook for its scenery and hiking is the plum spot down that way. I am heading down that way at the end of the year.
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

Yeh Mt Cook is a stunning spot.Aoraki Court motels is a nice place to stay, fairly new
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

Good food in Tekapo doesn't exist. Typically if I'm heading that way I will stop at Geraldine for a bite or take it with me to eat by the lake at Tekapo.

Over the last few years I've given thought to where would I live for each season in NZ only based on climate.

Spring - Christchurch
Summer - Motueka
Autumn - Napier
Winter - West Coast
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers