Auckland or Christchurch?

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
wembley

Auckland or Christchurch?

Unread post by wembley »

Which has the better climate overall, Auckland or Christchurch. IMO it's the Garden City due to less rain and fewer rain days and warmer summer temps when the norwester blows.
Razor

Re: Auckland or Christchurch?

Unread post by Razor »

I don't think that question is able to be fully answered. It depends on what each individual is comfortable with. I've lived in both places (AK 12 years, ChCh 14 years) and freely admit I am biased towards ChCh.

But, you you want long hot muggy summers, albeit wet at times, then Auckland is your place. The ChCh easterly is a major summer detractor, for which the NW fails to fully compensate for. But nothing beats a blazing 30 degree Canterbury day to me. And of course less rain in the south is a major plus.

Aucklands winters are IMHO less comfortable than ChCh though- extra moisture up there just makes the weather seem more miserable, even though its colder in the south its generally sunnier in winter than up north.

And if its 'action weather' you want, Auckland is more volatile and thus can be more 'exciting' storm wise, but then again Canterbury storms are occasionally the most violent I have seen anywhere (noting the other 14 years of my life I grew up in Wellington, where I truly found my weather passion as a kid

So my vote is ChCh, but others will have different parameters.
Christchurch Rocks
David

Unread post by David »

Razor wrote: Aucklands winters are IMHO less comfortable than ChCh though- extra moisture up there just makes the weather seem more miserable, even though its colder in the south its generally sunnier in winter than up north.
NIWA figures show that winter sunshine in Auckland is 381 hours, Christchurch 398 hours, so not really much difference. Also, July averages 128 hours in Akl and 127 hours in Chch.
https://www.niwa.co.nz/education-and-tr ... e/sunshine
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

David wrote:
Razor wrote: Aucklands winters are IMHO less comfortable than ChCh though- extra moisture up there just makes the weather seem more miserable, even though its colder in the south its generally sunnier in winter than up north.
NIWA figures show that winter sunshine in Auckland is 381 hours, Christchurch 398 hours, so not really much difference. Also, July averages 128 hours in Akl and 127 hours in Chch.
https://www.niwa.co.nz/education-and-tr ... e/sunshine
Fair call,let me refine that...its the rainfall up morth in winter that outstrips the south, I just note that I would take a cloudy or clear and dry day in ChCh over a showery westerly quarter day in Auckland, any day of the week!
Christchurch Rocks
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

I prefer the warmer sub tropical feel of Auckland even on a wet day. :smile: grew up in the south, happy to be out of the Winters .

For me if I was looking for a better climate I would be heading to Australia rather than else where in NZ
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

I would take the warmer north,higher dewpoints,balmier nights.Even in summer down here we only get the odd warm night to enjoy.
shovelopikis
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by shovelopikis »

i remember arriving back from europe just in april to auckland
it was pushing 30C on most days towards the end of our trip in france and as soon as we landed in auckland i was overwhelmed by the heat and could not sit anywhere near the sun and had to stay in air conditioned areas until our next flight down south to home

...that night on the news aucklands high was 20C
its the humidity that gets you...30C is nice and fine in mid france or canterbury...but auckland, na dont like it one bit.
melja

Unread post by melja »

You dont have to go far inland in summer to get balmier nights, its just the crappy NEer that keeps it cool.
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

We mostly dodge the NEer here in Ashburton being over 20k inland.
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

I think CHCH has a horrible climate to compared to areas further inland,Deano says Ashburton as one ,i reckon Waipara also because less cold sea breezes but also tends to get less of the coastal haze which i find claustrophobic,this is one down side i find about Auckland,i like the crystal clear skies myself
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Auckland doesn't get the frosts that ChCh gets.
I like the cold and frosty weather.
Even though Auckland is very thunder prone, I prefer the Canterbury thunderstorms, they can be more dramatic, especially the ones that develop on the plains, rather than off the sea.
The NE can be a hindrance at times in the summer months but then we don't get the rain or La Nina influenced weather systems that Auckland experiences now and then.
JohnGaul
NZThS
Manukau heads obs
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

all the flooding rain episode weather systems CHCH has had lately was most likely La Nina influenced
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Deano wrote:We mostly dodge the NEer here in Ashburton being over 20k inland.
Despite that there's no objective data to show that Ashburton or any other Plains locations are any sunnier than Ch'ch. I still recall the odd summer day when driving back from the hinterland via Burkes Pass, one ended up under a blanket of cloud covering the entire region - and I could still feel a bit of a chilling breeze even as far inland as Fairlie. Admittedly such situations didn't involve the shorter-range sea breeze ENE-er.
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

RWood wrote:
Deano wrote:We mostly dodge the NEer here in Ashburton being over 20k inland.
Despite that there's no objective data to show that Ashburton or any other Plains locations are any sunnier than Ch'ch. I still recall the odd summer day when driving back from the hinterland via Burkes Pass, one ended up under a blanket of cloud covering the entire region - and I could still feel a bit of a chilling breeze even as far inland as Fairlie. Admittedly such situations didn't involve the shorter-range sea breeze ENE-er.
Agree,just those warm summer days when the NEer kicks in over eastern ChCh.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Manukau heads obs wrote:all the flooding rain episode weather systems CHCH has had lately was most likely La Nina influenced
Yes, true there Brian, #-o
JohnGaul
NZThS
shovelopikis

Unread post by shovelopikis »

Richard wrote:I think CHCH has a horrible climate to compared to areas further inland,Deano says Ashburton as one ,i reckon Waipara also because less cold sea breezes but also tends to get less of the coastal haze which i find claustrophobic,this is one down side i find about Auckland,i like the crystal clear skies myself
that haze is annoying!
why/when/where is it caused? i grew up in crisp and clear New Plymouth and never experienced coastal haze until i moved down south to canterbury. 0_o
tgsnoopy

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

Manukau heads obs wrote:all the flooding rain episode weather systems CHCH has had lately was most likely La Nina influenced
I'm not convinced. I'm afraid that the height above MSL of those areas may be less post the earthquakes for a number of reasons. But then I might be paranoid come conspiracy theorist type thinking.

Whatever the cause, it's not nice being flooded, I have first hand experience, albeit not as badly as them.
melja

Unread post by melja »

Um i think 3 months of close to 200mm a month might be to blame and the fact we had our annual rainfall in 6 month- that might make it flood _b
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

Yes the wettest recorded March in ChCh records, followed by the wettest recorded April. EQ or not, that would have flooded us any time
Christchurch Rocks
tgsnoopy

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

Ok, hope you guys are right. Either way, the poor people affected, it's not good.
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

Having only lived in CHC for my 28 years I don't enjoy the climate here but there is more too a city than just that. Auckland's climate I think overall outweighs CHC but I could never see myself living in Auckland.
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Aucklands SWer is so annoying particularly over the warmer months.Hear a lot about the ENE in chch but only visited there really over the winter months and is colder,either it rains/drizzle or a completely cloudless day and in winter hardly any windy days apart from the southerly.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Re:

03Stormchaser wrote:Having only lived in CHC for my 28 years I don't enjoy the climate here but there is more too a city than just that. Auckland's climate I think overall outweighs CHC but I could never see myself living in Auckland.
I agree.
People have asked me why don't you move to Auckland or the west coast as they get more thunderstorms than Christchurch. I'd wouldn't move to Auckland as there far too many people up there, mind you, sadly, the Selwyn district is becoming a fast growing area, especially now there is plans for another big sub-division for West Melton 8-o
It's more than the weather to move and as I have lived in Canterbury for most of my life, I prefer to be here rather than anywhere else in NZ. :-$
JohnGaul
NZThS
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Even taken in the context of "lousy weather" chch fares better,they can get snow several times per year,thunderstorms as a surprise due to abrupt wind changes after a dry wind often NE direction,Auckland gets more lousy days but few produce anything more than just gales and rain.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

I have lived in both North and South Island and I have never minded the climate of both. We do get longer summers in the north though and obviously less cold weather due to latitude.