Poll opinion

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
matttbs

Poll opinion

Unread post by matttbs »

What's everybody's opinion on weatherwatches new poll about the media and overhyped reports? I think it's bang on and can see how annoying it is for the forecasting agencies when they get blamed when things don't eventuate just because some reporter has made a big deal out of it. Yes I know, I have said things about metservice before but I'm sure a lot of us have. Check it out

http://www.weatherwatch.co.nz/content/n ... ur-weather
Auckland & Tauranga
Michael
Has thanked: 0

Re: Poll opinion

Unread post by Michael »

Lot of its after the event,weatherbombs common for any event and the likes
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

I voted.
JohnGaul
NZThS
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

Completely agree with Phil here. Seems like attention grabbing headlines, hype and likes dear I say it are more important than relaying forecasts accurately.
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Weatherwatch themselves often overhype using words We are first to ... Exclusive by WW etc.
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

My opinion of online polls like this is that the results are generally inherently biased and therefore a complete waste of time, especially when the questionnaire is typically preceded by an emotive and seemingly convincing argument for the affirmative. Unlike random surveys, polls usually attract a more passionate vocal minority, rather than represent the opinion of a true cross-section of the populace. The irony is that the results of this particular poll will no doubt typically form the basis for yet another pointless and hyped-up story about... hyped-up stories. :-# :-w
Manukau heads obs
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

Good morning Nev...had your Coffee yet?
LOL
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
jamie

Poll opinion

Unread post by jamie »

I think they raise a good point. Like Nev said tho the poll means nothing. I agree with Michael too tho. They do use that sort of wording. It may not be hype but it's certainly....arrogant? Maybe not the best word. I can't think of the right word for it.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Its just journalism to be the number 1 most reliable/listened/watched depending if written or radio etc.
Tornado Tim

Unread post by Tornado Tim »

Michael wrote:Its just journalism to be the number 1 most reliable/listened/watched depending if written or radio etc.
But the the thing is they may want to say they were the first but they cant compare themselves to Metservice etc, they can't compete, they dont have any fully qualified Meteorologists on board (Howard was the only one, and I think he has left...).

I'm personally not liking Weatherwatch's future, they need to back them selves up with qualified staff if they want to be taken seriously. Polls that orientate around Media hype up can in some way be attributed to WeatherWatch itself.
When forecast's are produced entirely from the models speculative output, then put into a verbal form it spreads like wildfire.
The Media loves chaos, when two 'forecasting' organisations differ of course they are going to pick the group that forecasts the worst ouput. And usually that is given out by WeatherWatch, by basing forecasts from model output alone.

I dont like saying bad things about Weatherwatch, but they are writing a poll about a problem that can be attributed to them......
NZAPStrike.net - NZ Aus Pacific Strike Network
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Yes true,metservice nor niwa have polls though WW is ok in the facebook/talkback radio world,as you said forecasts based on models,much can be read online plus the skilled meteorologists have university degrees in maths/physics as well.