Metservice data

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Roseo

Metservice data

Unread post by Roseo »

Hi guys, I'm just wondering if anyone knows where metservice get there data from especially for chch? I have noticed some inconsistencies in the rain levels we have been getting, for example today had quite big hail/ rain burst and no recording of it what so ever on their site, but yet apparently this morning at 8am we had some rainfall, but was bone dry where I am in Sydenham? And quite often on a beautiful sunny day it will have a reading of rain in the 10am slot??? Your answers would be wonderful as I am very puzzled :?: :?:
Flutterbye
Has thanked: 0

Re: Metservice data

Unread post by Flutterbye »

Pretty sure they get their data from the airport. It might be that the hail/rain didn't happen near the airport...

As for a reading of 'rain' on a nice day - it tends to happen after a decent frost, ie, frost melt. Happens in quite a few places after heavy frosts. 0.2mm is the most common amount.
Roseo

Unread post by Roseo »

Thanks Flutterbye that answers it! Was just really querying me as to were it was all coming from, I had an incling it may have been out at airport, but wasn't sure!
moylanr

Unread post by moylanr »

I'm told they measure in counts of 0.2mm ie there has to be at least another 0.2mm to increase the reading. So less than 0.2mm shows as 0, and between 0.2 & 0.3999 shows as 0.2. There was only a few spits out there this morning. Dry this afternoon but a good rainbow visible over the city.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

NZ's first recording station was in the Botanical Gardens in Hagley Park.
MetService have only one official reading station for Christchurch at the airport which is located at Harewood.
Today's showers missed the airport, because this was In a situation where you expect "isolated showers" some places can be wet and other places dry. <3
JohnGaul
NZThS
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:NZ's first recording station was in the Botanical Gardens in Hagley Park.
Don't think so. Records at Chch Gardens began in Dec 1863, whereas Dunedin has earlier records from Nov 1852, Akld from Jan 1853 and Wgtn from Feb 1862.
MetService have only one official reading station for Christchurch at the airport which is located at Harewood.
MS also have a WS at New Brighton Pier, which is linked on their Chch webpage.