T-storms risk - Sat 22 Nov

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Manukau heads obs
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: T-storms risk - Sat 22 Nov

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

there was thunderstorms just to the south of CHCH in the afternoon (that headed out to sea)
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Manukau heads obs wrote:there was thunderstorms just to the south of CHCH in the afternoon (that headed out to sea)
There was an elevated storm scenario over South Canterbury, convection initiating at 2500m. Elevated storms don't typically do not produce severe weather unless it is an excessive rainfall scenario.
Chris Raine

Unread post by Chris Raine »

Don't know what I drove through at Arundel on the Inland route , the rain was torrential , big hail and decent lightning and thunder . I was at Mayfield and my lightning tracker said activity 25km SW so I drove in that direction and found the storm . I could see the storm building to the west with a developing anvil behind the Peel Forest area
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

Thanks for the reports Chris. For want of some better images, I grabbed these radar-images from TVNZ. The first image at very roughly about 2pm shows the northern cell that you probably drove through. And the second image about an hour or two later shows just how much the storms flared-up after moving out to sea.
Chch radar ℅ TVNZ - Nov 22, approx 2pm.jpg
Chch radar ℅ TVNZ - Nov 22, approx 4pm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Chris Raine wrote:Don't know what I drove through at Arundel on the Inland route , the rain was torrential , big hail and decent lightning and thunder . I was at Mayfield and my lightning tracker said activity 25km SW so I drove in that direction and found the storm . I could see the storm building to the west with a developing anvil behind the Peel Forest area
Every thunderstorm is severe its own way but when I talk about severe weather, I am referring to the meteorologists definition of severe weather. 20mm+hail, persistent rain to cause flooding.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Metservice had a high thunderstorm risk/severe thunderstorm watch with the southerly wind change where nothing developed.