MetService Website (2015)

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Nev

Re: MetService Website (2015)

Unread post by Nev »

Port Taharoa never used to get those sort of readings, and most of its recent T-maxs have been at night. I suspect wind-swept iron-sands may have affected its instruments.
einzack

Unread post by einzack »

I have to say I really like the "Your Weather" feature on the website. It's been a revelation during times such as this recent cold snap.
It's a really great way of viewing the information.
Obviously there's a few issues with amateur stations, but that's not a big deal, and I like how they've added the NZTA sites as well.
It's become a really great resource.
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

Skywatcher wrote:Website now has Aussie forecasts e.g. http://australia.metservice.com/local/nt/darwin
Interesting. But it appears I'm being geo-blocked with a 403 page over this side on Telstra and Internode.
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /towns-cities/nt/darwin on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Works fine using a US or NZ proxy, though. So much for the world wide web! Looks pretty and all, but no dew point temperatures?
Skywatcher
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Skywatcher »

Willoughby wrote:
Skywatcher wrote:Website now has Aussie forecasts e.g. http://australia.metservice.com/local/nt/darwin
Interesting. But it appears I'm being geo-blocked with a 403 page over this side on Telstra and Internode.
Works fine using a US or NZ proxy, though. So much for the world wide web! Looks pretty and all, but no dew point temperatures?
Near the bottom of the page it says "Some data on this site is sourced from the BoM" so maybe there's an agreement to restrict access to it in Aussie.

No dew points for NZ Towns & Cities pages or on Your Weather either just humidity...
David

Unread post by David »

I thought this was mildly amusing... the main advertisement banner is upside down!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Probably advertising to Northern Hemisphere viewers? :rolleyes:
JohnGaul
NZThS
Tim S
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Tim S »

Well according to this advert on MS page they promise double the temperature in Fiji! Really?! as double 5C (our current temp) is actually 283C, rather on the warm side! :B o_O I'd prefer Dunedin thanks, far less melty.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Orion

Unread post by Orion »

At present the rain-radar, for NZ and for Canterbury, isn't showing any images fresher than about an hour ago :rolleyes:
Tim S
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Tim S »

Orion wrote:At present the rain-radar, for NZ and for Canterbury, isn't showing any images fresher than about an hour ago :rolleyes:
Rain radar?? What's that? ;-)

Use this, much more useful than anything metservice have http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/ramsdis ... height=800
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

I see you now have to 'log-on' to view MS's Facebook page. Seems like a dumb restrictive move to me? :(
Orion

Unread post by Orion »

It seems to be available without signing into Facebook - but dearie me, who writes this stuff?
Quote:
To mark the end of Wellington on a Plate, here’s your weekend weather on a plate. Or bowl, because it looks a bit more liquid.
The high-pressure over the country that gave us the crisp crunchy morning today is replaced by a soggy northwest flow as a trough rolls in from the Tasman. The skies over the West Coast are already looking soupy, although the main serving of rain is still a day off.
The first course of moisture is ladled up on the west, drizzling the West Coast tonight before diving into heavier rain Friday lunchtime, spreading up to Buller for dinner. Saturday breakfast the rain makes it into Nelson, stopping in Marlborough and Wellington for brunch, and Auckland in time for dinner. Severe Weather Watches are already on the menu for Westland, Buller and northwest Nelson, with the chance of heavier rain spreading over parts of the western North Island on Saturday. Most of the country sees dollops of rain this weekend, but keep an eye on the watches and warnings for exactly where and when the heaviest falls will be.
Early next week a new low cooked up in the trough northwest of the country brings a platter of precipitation to the upper North Island, with the chance of some big helpings in the north and east. As this is still several days out and our highly trained food critics still have differing opinions, the exact timing and intensity are still being refined. Get an appetite for the latest updates and daily specials on metservice.com.
End quote.
How can this be taken seriously?
David

Unread post by David »

Nev wrote:I see you now have to 'log-on' to view MS's Facebook page. Seems like a dumb restrictive move to me? :(
Still loading ok for me :-k
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

Ah yes, their Facebook page appears to be back to normal since I posted that comment this morning, so maybe someone at MS took notice. It seemed to be log-in only for 2-3 days prior to that.

Re MS's 'Wellington on a Plate' post. Guess you can't really blame MS staff for having a bit fun at the end of Wgtn's 2-week food festival. ;-) May have been better suited to the local forecast though.
melja

Unread post by melja »

Do they actually even take notice of what they post on there website at MS, they have a Otago snow warning out at the moment but when you read it the heading is "heavy snow for the Canterbury high country" im sorry but it just comes across very amateurish and missleading and its been up for 7 hours like that.
melja

Unread post by melja »

Screenshot_2015-08-31-16-57-03.png
Bradley

Re:

Unread post by Bradley »

melja wrote:Do they actually even take notice of what they post on there website at MS, they have a Otago snow warning out at the moment but when you read it the heading is "heavy snow for the Canterbury high country" im sorry but it just comes across very amateurish and missleading and its been up for 7 hours like that.
Yes very poor and could potentially be putting people's lives at risk who plan to travel over the passes tomorrow in Canterbury who would just disregard and not read that warning as relevant to them as it says 'Otago'
melja

Unread post by melja »

Im thinking it is a otago warning but put Canterbury.