Any hope for accurate reporting in NZ?

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
bpo

Any hope for accurate reporting in NZ?

Unread post by bpo »

After the recent ludicrous claims about "25 cm" of snow in Omarama (actual max was 11 cm, +/- 1 cm), the latest travesty is a report of us getting down to "-20 degrees" overnight. (It was around -11 degrees, +/- 1 degree.)

We hit an overnight low of -14.4 (+/- 0.5 degrees) back in June 13th 2006, which was itself nowhere near the record of -18 degrees reached outside of the village at Tara Hills some years earlier.

Is there any hope at all of accurate reporting when we have all these bogus "weather analyst" shysters selling page Ad clicks to drooling retards desperate for excitement rather than reality?

:rolleyes: o_O :B
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

Tara Hills hit -20c this morning according to the wx station MS use. Unless I've missed MS saying this was incorrect...
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
tgsnoopy

Re: Any hope for accurate reporting in NZ?

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

As for the claims being made on Social Media by people who are not qualified professionals, I don't see anyway you could stop them. Best thing you could do in my opinion is try to educate people to recognise them for what they are, but you'd need to be careful how you did so.
Razor

Re: Any hope for accurate reporting in NZ?

Unread post by Razor »

bpo wrote:After the recent ludicrous claims about "25 cm" of snow in Omarama (actual max was 11 cm, +/- 1 cm), the latest travesty is a report of us getting down to "-20 degrees" overnight. (It was around -11 degrees, +/- 1 degree.)

We hit an overnight low of -14.4 (+/- 0.5 degrees) back in June 13th 2006, which was itself nowhere near the record of -18 degrees reached outside of the village at Tara Hills some years earlier.

Is there any hope at all of accurate reporting when we have all these bogus "weather analyst" shysters selling page Ad clicks to drooling retards desperate for excitement rather than reality?

:rolleyes: o_O :B
I think you may need a (ahem) chill pill :wave:
Christchurch Rocks