South Island snow - July 6-10

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Razor

Re: South Island snow - July 6-10

Unread post by Razor »

Shower of graupel through home, everything white very quickly. Settled well
Christchurch Rocks
Ice Maiden

Unread post by Ice Maiden »

Just home from visiting friends a little way up Leith Valley approx. 100m ASL, a good covering there and blizzard conditions all the way back to centre of town. Snowing again now in Northeast Valley at 60m ASL :-)
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Interetsing :-k
Fine and calm, here with clear skies, frosty though.
JohnGaul
NZThS
MoorfNZ
Location: (300m asl) Waddington, inland mid-Canterbury, New Zealand

Unread post by MoorfNZ »

Seen a report that no snow for inland Canterbury tonight... is that right?
RichyDunedin
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by RichyDunedin »

Got work at 6am and have to get over Highgate which should be interesting. How long until they shut the Northern Motorway I wonder. Octagon webcam shows no snow.
Ice Maiden

Unread post by Ice Maiden »

RichyDunedin wrote:Got work at 6am and have to get over Highgate which should be interesting. How long until they shut the Northern Motorway I wonder. Octagon webcam shows no snow.
I hear Three Mile Hill is closed, and its coming down hard again in the hill suburbs. I don't like your chances other than on foot tomorrow morning. Even if the snow stops with these temps it will now be treacherous on the roads.
tich

Unread post by tich »

Razor wrote:Shower of graupel through home, everything white very quickly. Settled well
Same in St Albans. 0C at Jeff's station, so not surprisingly the precipitation is of a frozen variety.
snowchaser01

Unread post by snowchaser01 »

Some awesome images on the Highgate webcams in Dunners atm!! Heavy snow to 100m!!
Born and bred Cantab. Weather is my passion. Reporting from northern Christchurch.
Check me out on Youtube!
www.youtube.com/channel/UCa9rslfDkfWR3X6Spw5b5yA
melja

Unread post by melja »

Fine an frosty here overnight.
snowykiwi

Unread post by snowykiwi »

Fine and frosty here overnight too. I just checked metservice and they are still saying "Showers developing this morning, mainly north of Geraldine, with snow to sea level, rising to 200 metres by midday. Southerlies, strong about the coast". I've just checked the rain radar and all the action seems to be out to sea.

Issued: 3:55am 8 Jul

I've just checked the rain radar and all the action seems to be missing us here again. It is absolutely freezing cold outside, I noticed last night was the first night I actually saw my breath in the air in our laundry, I've never seen that before in the two years we have lived here in Rakaia.
Rakaia, 118asl.
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

A bit of light snow here overnight enough to make things white. Temp -2.
petem8nz

Unread post by petem8nz »

Must have had a brief snow shower before the frost came through in east Christchurch overnight. The few flakes we got last night have frozen solid.
I'm no expert but I love severe weather!
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

petem8nz wrote:Must have had a brief snow shower before the frost came through in east Christchurch overnight. The few flakes we got last night have frozen solid.
That was right across town, most parts of ChCh got a very light dusting on top of the earleir graupel. Certainly in the SW of town and the Central City anyway
Christchurch Rocks
petem8nz

Razor wrote:That was right across town, most parts of ChCh got a very light dusting on top of the earleir graupel. Certainly in the SW of town and the Central City anyway
Did you get a bit over your side of town too? These chain showers are only just clipping us over here. It was snowing again here for half an hour or so about 9am. Brilliant sunshine now.
petem8nz

2 reasonable showers about to skim through for the whole city in the next hour looking at the radar.
RichyDunedin
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by RichyDunedin »

Had about 5cm at home when I left at 6am, only slush at sea level In town really but was some very bad black ice too. Quite heavy snow showers on the hills all morning. Made it to work over Highgate though almost slid into a car after another car had spun and blocked the road. Northern motorway has reopened to cars but not trucks or towing vehicles.
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

petem8nz wrote:
Razor wrote:That was right across town, most parts of ChCh got a very light dusting on top of the earleir graupel. Certainly in the SW of town and the Central City anyway
Did you get a bit over your side of town too? These chain showers are only just clipping us over here. It was snowing again here for half an hour or so about 9am. Brilliant sunshine now.
Yup my run to work took me through Hoon Hay, Spreydon, Addington to town. Snow lying on the footpaths (patchy) the whole way, but clear conditions. All the action out over the Peninsula at present
Christchurch Rocks
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

Sleet and hail is probably the best the city will do tonight. Anywhere above 150m should get settling snow. The showers dont really start coming in until early afternoon. Even late afternoon.
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

There is a chance of some flurries down to around 100m overnight but it wont settle, could get some good coating lower down from graupel and sleet though.
Remained dry as a bone in Rolleston overnight
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
Skywatcher

Unread post by Skywatcher »

No precipitation here so far just a very dry cold WSW wind and mostly sunny. Pano of the Port Hills about 45 minutes ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mikestormchaser

Yeah I think since Saturday iv felt this would be the usual set up. Just a cold winter southerly. Im never going to be up and arms over events unless im absolutely convinced things are going to happen. The reality is chch and Canterbury sea level snow doesn't happen often. on the odd occasion a set up whether its to do with thunderstorms or snow, just sometimes "sticks out like dogs balls" and you just know its going to happen. Its not been the case with any of these past events. Except if you live in land of course for the big snow dump.
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

mikestormchaser wrote:Yeah I think since Saturday iv felt this would be the usual set up. Just a cold winter southerly. Im never going to be up and arms over events unless im absolutely convinced things are going to happen. The reality is chch and Canterbury sea level snow doesn't happen often. on the odd occasion a set up whether its to do with thunderstorms or snow, just sometimes "sticks out like dogs balls" and you just know its going to happen. Its not been the case with any of these past events. Except if you live in land of course for the big snow dump.
A good summation I reckon. Substantial sea level snow in ChCh is a) a fickle affair at best and b) a relatively unusual occurrence
Christchurch Rocks
mikestormchaser

Razor wrote:
mikestormchaser wrote:Yeah I think since Saturday iv felt this would be the usual set up. Just a cold winter southerly. Im never going to be up and arms over events unless im absolutely convinced things are going to happen. The reality is chch and Canterbury sea level snow doesn't happen often. on the odd occasion a set up whether its to do with thunderstorms or snow, just sometimes "sticks out like dogs balls" and you just know its going to happen. Its not been the case with any of these past events. Except if you live in land of course for the big snow dump.
A good summation I reckon. Substantial sea level snow in ChCh is a) a fickle affair at best and b) a relatively unusual occurrence
Yes for me we need a good warm advective snow event set up or a wind convergence zone that hangs over the city witch draws the narrow shower band right into the city. .taking that topography impact that BP has away. "Its not often it lines up like this very often" but when it does its normally pretty significant. Thats canterbury for ya
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

I see metservice have upped their precipitation numbers to over 20mm. The Port hills and Peninsula could be in for a hiding over the next 24-36 hours
Christchurch Rocks
hozza95

Unread post by hozza95 »

Ended up getting 5cm's yesterday morning which then melted but very heavy snow moved in about 3 yesterday afternoon giving us another 15cm overnight. So easily the biggest dump of snow for us since probably the big snow of 2013