Low Air Pressure

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
islandwatcher
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Low Air Pressure

Unread post by islandwatcher »

I am in London and interested to learn how often New Zealanders endure abnormally low air pressure systems, particularly as they impact upon health.
I have used Google Earth to determine where people live and see that most reside near to sea level where air pressures are highest. This leads me to conclude that there are some abnormally low air pressure systems ocurring often in New Zealand and that the situation is worse than Scotland.
Manukau heads obs

Re: Low Air Pressure

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

Hi
Generally deep lows crossing NZ are not much below 985hpa

but occasionally they can be as low as into the 960's
the deepest depressions are found in the southern ocean to the south of NZ
ie down to 945hpa sometimes (but more often 955) :)
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
Tim S

Unread post by Tim S »

Lowest I've recorded in 3 years in the Dunedin area is 973hpa if thats any help :-)
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

islandwatcher wrote:I am in London and interested to learn how often New Zealanders endure abnormally low air pressure systems, particularly as they impact upon health.
I have used Google Earth to determine where people live and see that most reside near to sea level where air pressures are highest. This leads me to conclude that there are some abnormally low air pressure systems ocurring often in New Zealand and that the situation is worse than Scotland.
Define "low" and abnormally low".

The mean SLP in central NZ is around 1014 hPa (1014.3 for Wellington). Lower than at equivalent latitudes in Europe, but that is to be expected.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

New Zealand's air pressure patterns should be about the same as Spain/Portugal. Stormy in winter (low) and ridge(high) in summer.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

NZstorm wrote:New Zealand's air pressure patterns should be about the same as Spain/Portugal. Stormy in winter (low) and ridge(high) in summer.
The 30-year means don't really support that. Kelburn (1985-2014) shows highest values Feb-May, winter ones intermediate or just below the annual average, lowest value Oct-Dec with January just below the annual mean.
I have old averages for Dunedin and Auckland but would need to recompute for the most recent 30 years - the old ones don't support your assertion but I know that there has been somewhat more ridging in summer than previously ...
islandwatcher

Thanks for replies.
The lowest pressure in Scotland that I have seen was 984mb just once so I regard that as being abnormal for the UK. However, it looks thus far that NZ suffers from far too many unhealthy lows and that they are more likely to occur on the south island.
Simon Culling

Unread post by Simon Culling »

Islandwatcher, the lowest pressure recorded on the Scottish mainland is 925.6mb at Ochteryre, Perthshire on the 26th January 1884.

Low pressure systems with central pressures of 950-960mb are regular visitors to the UK shores in the winter months, although the majority will pass over or just to the north of Scotland.
islandwatcher

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by islandwatcher on Tue 11/08/2015 09:59, edited 1 time in total.
Tim S

Low Air Pressure

Unread post by Tim S »

islandwatcher wrote:When I see the Scottish low air pressure systems arrival then I know that somebody in the area is likely to suffer an aortic aneurism. Some research conducted by medics in northern Ireland made reference to this around 2002. I see that many people in NZ also suffer with aortic aneurisms among other medical calamities.
But wouldn't the change in air pressure from changing altitude be the same or even worse? or do people that suffer this condition unlikely to travel much? I suffer from chronic sinusitis myself and I find air pressure changes from altitude much worse than the mean sea pressure changes.
islandwatcher

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by islandwatcher on Tue 11/08/2015 10:00, edited 1 time in total.
Manukau heads obs

there are some many other factors when changing house re sleeping as well though
Simon Culling

Unread post by Simon Culling »

A change in altitude of 46m equates to roughly 6mb or a change in air pressure equivalent to a fraction of 1%. It would be interesting to hear how this can cure sleep apnea. I appreciate that one of the treatments for night time sufferers is positive throat pressure but a change of 6mb seems very small.
islandwatcher

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by islandwatcher on Tue 11/08/2015 10:01, edited 1 time in total.
Tim S

Unread post by Tim S »

I have read a fair bit about air pressure and its effect on health conditions, their is definitely a link and good on you for trying ways to improve your health, something that not many people actively do. =D>
islandwatcher

Tim S wrote:

I have read a fair bit about air pressure and its effect on health conditions, their is definitely a link and good on you for trying ways to improve your health, something that not many people actively do. =D>
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by islandwatcher on Tue 11/08/2015 10:01, edited 1 time in total.
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

I'm going to jump in here and ask that you all keep on thread topic and:

a) keep the discussion weather related;
b) refrain from personal abuse; and
c) take any medical/ health related discussion to the "off topic" folder.

Play nicely or the topic will be locked
Christchurch Rocks
Tim S

Unread post by Tim S »

Razor wrote:
I'm going to jump in here and ask that you all keep on thread/ topic and:

a) keep the discussion weather related;
b) refrain from personal abuse; and
c) take any medical/ health related discussion to the "off topic" folder.

Play nicely or the topic will be locked
Thanks thats as clear as mud. :lol: I understand everything but point c)??

How about changing the topic name to "medical effects from lower air pressure", then moving it to off topic??
islandwatcher

I don't want to be upsetting the moderators as I don't want to be banned or cast adrift into the Tasman Sea.
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

Tim S wrote:
How about changing the topic name to "medical effects from lower air pressure", then moving it to off topic??
Keep the low pressure discussions here in the weather and climate forum, but take the health stuff out separately to off topic.
Christchurch Rocks
islandwatcher

I have already started a new thread on the off-topic page for those with an interest in the issues I have thus far raised. Good to see a sensible moderator making adjustments too.
islandwatcher

Manukau heads obs wrote:Hi
Generally deep lows crossing NZ are not much below 985hpa

but occasionally they can be as low as into the 960's
the deepest depressions are found in the southern ocean to the south of NZ
ie down to 945hpa sometimes (but more often 955) :)
I strongly suspect that a low of 985hpa is sufficient enough to cause a sudden death, a bout of depression or an asthma attack.
Manukau heads obs

if you follow that line of reasoning then you find those symptoms on passenger planes..yes?
islandwatcher

Firstly, it has to be born in mind that people from all different environments fly around the world inside airliners where the air pressure is maintained during flight at 985mb. Many of the passengers are already ill but travel agents do not say anything about the hazards of flying because they want to sell holidays.
I stayed in Baggio City at high altitude 28-years ago for two weeks. I decided to fly back to Manilla after travelling to Baggio by road. The plane had not been pressurised and it went down almost to sea level taking 10-15 minutes. The pressure in my ears failed to equalise and tinnitus started straight away. Seven years later, I was diagnosed as having an inner-ear tumour (acoustic neuroma). I underwent 12-hours of neuro-surgery for the removal of the tumour and lost my hearing completely on the right side.
If people are already ill but not diagnosed then I would strongly advise them not to take a ride inside a pressurised plane, better described as a flying hyperbaric oxygen chamber.