General August Weather

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
jamie

General August Weather

Unread post by jamie »

Looks a good frost here. Station is in the shop getting some r and m done so I'm throwing a guess to say it's colder than -2.
SnwAddct
Been thanked: 0

Re: General August Weather

Unread post by SnwAddct »

Wow what an afternoon we had yesterday! Huge amount of thunder and lightning and about 5cm of graupel settled. Crazy for Auckland
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Horrible SE/SSE-er for the 4th day in a row coming up. My most loathed mode in the local climate. Makes the brisk SW/SSW of June & July very pleasant by comparison. The SE/SSE has a bone-chilling quality which makes it feel colder than the other mode, and can drag on for days - the SW/SSW does not hang around long and is normally quickly followed by bright sunshine.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

I left a 2 litre bottle of water on the back seat of the car in Arrowtown overnight last night , it was near frozen solid this morning, Central Otago can put on a good frost.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

SnwAddct wrote:Wow what an afternoon we had yesterday! Huge amount of thunder and lightning and about 5cm of graupel settled. Crazy for Auckland
Yes, it was interesting as the day overperformed. Another pic here of the developing convergence line over Auckland taken from the west coast at Murawai.
The line stretched north and south down to the Waikato.

The pic quality is not great as I dropped my phone and the camera has never been right since.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Manukau heads obs wrote:have seen pictures of the snow pellets on peoples windscreens in west auckland last evening...looks very much like sleet/snow...put you can see little chunks of ice instead of crystals...so its snow pellets (groupel)
Last time we saw snow pellets in Auckland was about 4 years ago.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

More cold upper level air heading our way for the weekend, could be some unstable skies Sat/Sun.
Bradley

Unread post by Bradley »

ACCESS/GFS hinting at a warm advection snow event for this Saturday/Sunday for north Otago/Canterbury above around 200m asl...
snowykiwi

Unread post by snowykiwi »

will be interesting to see how the model runs keep going. I see metservice are showing snowy weather for Methven for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday next week.
Rakaia, 118asl.
matttbs

Unread post by matttbs »

Bradley wrote:ACCESS/GFS hinting at a warm advection snow event for this Saturday/Sunday for north Otago/Canterbury above around 200m asl...
I don't see it? The 850mb temp is only -2 at best. Sure the high country may get something but definatly not down to 200m?
Auckland & Tauranga
Bradley

Unread post by Bradley »

GFS only had the 850hpa temp at -2C for June's event Matt, also ACCESS has it more like -4C, if that stays then the snow line could get as low as 200-300m...
matttbs

Unread post by matttbs »

Bradley wrote:GFS only had the 850hpa temp at -2C for June's event Matt, also ACCESS has it more like -4C, if that stays then the snow line could get as low as 200-300m...
I thought it was more like -4 in June but if that's the case it's could be another very busy few days.. The last lot hasn't even melted yet!
Auckland & Tauranga
jamie

General August Weather

Unread post by jamie »

Anyone got any idea what snow levels on Sunday could be in central North Island?
Bradley

Unread post by Bradley »

matttbs wrote:
Bradley wrote:GFS only had the 850hpa temp at -2C for June's event Matt, also ACCESS has it more like -4C, if that stays then the snow line could get as low as 200-300m...
I thought it was more like -4 in June but if that's the case it's could be another very busy few days.. The last lot hasn't even melted yet!
This event is a little more erratic in the models so it may not result in low level snow in the finish but the possibility is there so I'll be keeping an eye on the models the next 24-36 hours for sure!
SnwAddct

Unread post by SnwAddct »

jamie wrote:Anyone got any idea what snow levels on Sunday could be in central North Island?
I would say around 1600m looking at various models..
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Looking like a thunder/hail risk Fri to Sun for western and upper North Island. Cold upper air creates the instabilty with a couple of strong 500mb vortex to cross the region.

Gfs 500mb chart for later Friday.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Does look like there will be atleast isolated thunder and hail for parts of the upper NI Sat/Sun.
Less the graupel this time :smile: , the low level air is looking warmer than it was on Monday.
Bradley

Unread post by Bradley »

GFS really liking the idea of 2 wet/snowy events over the next week or so for Canterbury
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

This webcam at Piha ( West Auckland) http://www.takeabreak.co.nz/accommodation/piha.asp will be useful for observing weather, excellent webcams at http://www.takeabreak.co.nz
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

Here's this morns T-storm Outlook update for today, with the emphasis more on strong winds and possibly the odd tornado…
MetService - Thunderstorm Outlook

Valid to: Midnight Friday 14 Aug 2015
Issued at: 8:56am Friday 14 Aug 2015

A front crossing Northland this morning is expected to move southwards over Auckland this afternoon and lie over the eastern Bay of Plenty and central North Island on tonight. A band of rain and strong northeasterly winds accompany the front.

As the front moves southwards over Northland this morning and Auckland and northern Waikato this afternoon, the risk of thunderstorms is generally considered low, however the combination of convective cells embedded within the rainband and the the strong northeasterly winds are likely to produce localised wind squalls of 90-120km/hr (or possibly stronger in a few places), as well as short periods of very heavy rain. One or two small tornadoes are also possible.

Winds of this strength can cause damage to vegetation and insecure structures etc, as well as make driving conditions hazardous. A Severe Weather Watch is now in force for Auckland.

As the front moves further south, the risk of thunderstorms increases to moderate over southern Coromandel Peninsula and Bay of Plenty in the evening,along with a continuing risk of heavy rain, strong wind gusts and possibly one or two small tornadoes.

Behind the front, there is a moderate risk of a few thunderstorms developing over Northland in the afternoon, and then further thunderstorms spreading off the Tasman Sea into Northland and Auckland at night. These thunderstorms are likely to contain small hail.

A lower risk of thunderstorms cover the central North Island and western Nelson from evening as indicated on the chart.

No other thunderstorms or significant convection expected elsewhere.
MetService T-storm Outlook Map for Aug 14.png
Tornado Tim

Unread post by Tornado Tim »

I see there could be a fohn wind for the Waikato and Parts of the BOP, on Sunday, will be interesting.

Liking the risk of a storm and squall today. The narrow upper level jet streaming down towards Taranaki and Westland this afternoon will play a good part in how vigorous the event will be today.

Heavy Showers a risk on Saturday, might turn Thundery with the risk of Hail. - Less organised than Today due to the trough being much more broad and the jet extending from Auckland northwards.

The Residual Moisture and mild SFC temps should help with any convection that occurs though.
NZAPStrike.net - NZ Aus Pacific Strike Network
Manukau heads obs
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

torrential rain here
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

17mm here in 2 heavy bursts
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
jamie

General August Weather

Unread post by jamie »

Gutted I haven't got the station back from weather data yet. Will miss this event except for wind speeds.

I'm at Taupo currently and the wind is starting to pick up here.
littleheaven

Unread post by littleheaven »

Very benign here in Takapuna, after a very blustery wet morning. Patches of blue sky to the East, a bit murky to the West. After this morning's headlines about weather bombs (lol) and battering thunderstorms, it's amusingly quiet.
Claire
Glenfield, Auckland