Tornado Video from Taiwan

Discussion of weather and climate outside of NZ's waters. Australian weather, tropical cyclones and USA storm chasing feature here.
Simon Culling

Tornado Video from Taiwan

Unread post by Simon Culling »

I came across this video by accident when looking for film of UK tornadoes!

It appears to have occurred on Taiwan on or around the 9th August 2015 and was associated with Typhoon Soudelor. I posted it on a UK site and the comments of others changed my view on a number of things that occur during the passage of the tornado. See what you think, especially with regard to the white car 'cutting in' and where the person seen in the road after the passage of the tornado originally came from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEN7MTy4fkA
Nev

Re: Tornado Video from Taiwan

Unread post by Nev »

As I recall from news reports at the time, the woman on the side of the road was blown off a motorbike… nothing to do with the white car being shunted down the road as the title of that version of the original video suggests.
Simon Culling

Yes Nev you are correct about the lady in the road, although at 8 seconds it looks more like a bicycle that gets drawn across the front of the car taking the dashcam. She was propelled at some speed and was lucky to be still conscious. The car with the dashcam also appears to jump a red light at the beginning of the video so the white car is not actually 'cutting in' but appears to have the right of way - although that would be a moot point under those conditions!!!
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

:eek: wow thats impressive, i played it back many times trying to see where she came from too.
Simon Culling

Richard, at around 8 seconds you can see what vaguely looks like a person and a bike/motorbike get swept across and in front of the car (from the right) doing the filming and she then appears on the side of the road in a seated position.

Looking at the damage to the tree's in the distance this would appear to be something like an F1/F2 strength tornado. It would be interesting to know what other damage it caused.
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

yes i can see the bike now, she was very lucky.