Unstable Period - 17th - 20th Jan

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Tornado Tim

Unread post by Tornado Tim »

Some Decent Unstable Weather coming our way over the next few days:

The 00Z in regards to tomorrow PM has the moisture and resulting convergence a bit further north into central western Waikato than the last few runs.

The High DP's and Warm SFC Temps are making up for the warmer (-12°C) upper level temps.
viewimage.png
viewimage (2).png
Metservices Outlook in regards to Sunday:
Metservice wrote: Issued at: 9:08pm Saturday 16 Jan 2016

Chart reviewed at 9:05pm Saturday and a low risk area added to Northland and the moderate risk area over the central North Island increased to high, but with rainfall intensities now not expected to exceed 25mm per hour.

Afternoon heating pushing temperatures into the upper twenties is expected to lead to quite strong wind convergences over the central North Island and central and northern parts of the South Island.

There is a high risk of afternoon and early evening thunderstorms triggering from north Taranaki and Taumarunui to the central high country to just east of Taupo. These are expected to be fairly slow moving and so have the potential to generate localised rainfall rates in the 10-25mm/hr range, and small hail. There is a surrounding lower risk of thunderstorms in a wider area over Northland and from western Waikato to the eastern Bay of Plenty ranges and south to the Tararua Range as depicted on the chart.

Also during the afternoon, there is a moderate risk of afternoon and evening thunderstorms over inland parts of southern Marlborough, giving local rainfall rates of 10-20mm/hr. A wider lower risk extends over other inland parts of Marlborough, Nelson and about the main divide to about central Westland.

In addition, in the far north of Northland, and over northern parts of Nelson,there is a low risk of elevated thunderstorms developing at night.

Elsewhere, no thunderstorms or significant convection expected.
Of note: the 00Z GFS is forecasting serious instability come Monday, I am questioning it at this stage, but tomorrows subsequent rounds will hopefully firm up more of a reasonable forecast.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NZAPStrike.net - NZ Aus Pacific Strike Network
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

Yea not sure I'd trust that GFS run unless today they keep it there. It had it locked in for a couple days being further south. I'm a kuratau on lake Taupo and heading western bays on my way home tonight. Hopefully I can intercept something.
treetop
Has thanked: 0

Re: Unstable Period - 17th - 20th Jan

Unread post by treetop »

Today looks like the best day as there may be a lot more cloud cover tomorrow. May be another similer setup at the end of the week. Good timing on a Sunday, might do a Waikato circut this arvo,If the higher Cape is further north there will be a lot less driving. I see Tekuiti on 30 deg ,going to be hot and steamy there !
ttttttttttt
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

Excited by this period. I can chase on my way home from kuratau today. I can chase after 5pm tomorrow. And Tuesday I can chase all afternoon.
Tornado Tim

Fair bit of Lightning activity occuring in the cold pool out in the Tasman atm.

Looking at the 12Z GFS, The best wind convergence is occurring down further south past Taupo, but in zilch CAPE.
If we get a Sea Breeze from the West (either of which) then there will be sufficient convergence though.

Te Kuiti looking like a good spot, also Otorohanga.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Yes, Waitomo looking like the region that has the best chance of a convergence thunderstorm.

The gfs output for northern Waitomo 4pm. Shear looks weakish.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

Looking like on Tuesday we should see a slow moving storm move over N Canterbury. Chased a few of these before, normally very photogenic storms
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
Tornado Tim

Starting to bubble...... :)
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

Not bubbling down Taupo yet......
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

Now it's just starting to show the first signs of convection
shovelopikis

Unread post by shovelopikis »

In western bays too...Nothing yet but some fine cbs forming!
GreggWard

Unread post by GreggWard »

Thunder rumbling away to the North for the last 20 minutes. Has just gone quiet but looking very dark to the North and NorthEast. Looks like Palmy may still get a good drop of rain shortly. Been very warm, up to 30C this afternoon.
GreggWard

Loud frequent thunder now, just to the North/NorthWest.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Taupo Airport webcam shows development near Taupo http://taupoairport.co.nz/airport-webcam/
treetop

Unread post by treetop »

nothing north of Taupo, wasted 1/2 a tank, all looked capped and way too much cloud.Dissapointing, tomorrow I would expect fast moving frontal storms [waiting rather than chasing]
ttttttttttt
Tornado Tim

treetop wrote:nothing north of Taupo, wasted 1/2 a tank, all looked capped and way too much cloud.Dissapointing, tomorrow I would expect fast moving frontal storms [waiting rather than chasing]
Ouch, I am glad I didnt do anything then.

Im starting to get much more pessimistic about Thunderstorm Forecasts in NZ eh..... esp after the last 2 complete flops..... although we are going from GFS and not EC.
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

Well it wasn't a flop....it was all on the southern side of central NI. Wanganui and Taihape looked like they got some nice storms.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

It all looked too far away for a chase from Auckland, one problem being the upper flow would have been taking any storm development north of Taupo away south into the central hill country.
treetop

Unread post by treetop »

Its great when you just have low cloud and mist which burns away by 9. Coming over the Kaimais there was just all this middle level stratto cumuli which stayed all day, hope you guys at the other end got plenty of action.
ttttttttttt
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Fingers crossed for some decent rain here with the front tonight. 10mm+.
The hope for thunder later today is get good heating/hot day and then the front moves across the warm environment later.
Weather looks dry for the rest of the week.

The 1998 El Nino was good for storms over the North Island in the Feb/Mar period. Hopefully history can repeat.
Rogue

Unread post by Rogue »

Hoping for similar shower development for the lower North Island today, thinking I will chase up the west coast towards Palmy again (wish I'd chased yesterday), but have a feeling things might fire first on the east coast. Have a good feeling about this one
GreggWard

Rogue wrote:Hoping for similar shower development for the lower North Island today, thinking I will chase up the west coast towards Palmy again (wish I'd chased yesterday), but have a feeling things might fire first on the east coast. Have a good feeling about this one
The storms that did develop around Palmy seemed to have all intra-cloud lightning. I never saw any cloud-to-ground lightning. Lots of thunder though.
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

Here's this morning's update for today…
MetService - Thunderstorm Outlook

Valid to: Midnight Monday 18 Jan 2016
Issued at: 8:43am Monday 18 Jan 2016

A slow moving front should move onto the west of the North Island and the northwest of the South Island bringing bands of heavy northerly rain, for which WARNINGS and WATCHES and now in effect. This afternoon, day-time heating is expected to trigger widespread shower activity over the North Island ahead of the arrival of the frontal rain this evening.

There is a moderate risk of thunderstorms over the northwestern half of the North Island and over southern parts of Hawkes Bay south to Wairarapa and over the upper South Island as indicated on the chart. Rainfall rates of 10-25mm/hr are generally possible, however, over much of Nelson, northwest Marlborough, Taranaki and Waitomo, there is at least a moderate risk of downpours in the 25-40mm/hr range as the frontal rainband progresses east through the period. Rainfalls of this intensity may occur for several hours and have the potential to generate problems such as flooding and erosion.

From late afternoon there is also a high risk of thunderstorms with the rainband as it moves eastwards, for northwest Nelson and from Taranaki to western Coromandel Peninsula northwards. Rainfall rates up to 25mm/hr or so can be expected. When the front makes landfall over Taranaki late at night, there is slight risk of a small coastal tornado.

Elsewhere over the North Island there is a low risk of thunderstorms as depicted on the chart.

Elsewhere, no thunderstorms or significant convection expected.
MetService T-storm Outlook map - Jan 18.png
Tornado Tim

Starting to look good :)
Himwari Vis - 9.40AM NZDST, CAPE GFS Overlay Attached
David

Unread post by David »

Heavy bursts of rain in Parnell currently. Dewpoint around 20-21C again today!