Annual climate summary 2015

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
RWood

Annual climate summary 2015

Unread post by RWood »

http://www.niwa.co.nz/climate/summaries ... mmary-2015

Early in the summary a reference is made to "Wellington" having its 2nd driest year, records from 1958. This should say "Wellington airport" as later in the report on the main centres, and is rather misleading as far as the city is concerned. Kelburn had a few days of missing data, but its total of at least 1040mm was in any event no lower than about 17th lowest of 88 annual totals, the lowest being 867mm in 1937. If older city records are considered, there was a reading of only 707mm in 1915.
TonyT

Re: Annual climate summary 2015

Unread post by TonyT »

Niwa seems to have changed from being a scientific organisation reporting the facts, to a publicity seeking organisation keen to try to sensationalise. I'm not sure why this should be, given that they get substantial annual grants from the government to fund a lot (all?) of their climate analysis and reporting functions.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Dunedin got 2100hrs sunshine! One of the most stunning numbers in that report.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

NZstorm wrote:Dunedin got 2100hrs sunshine! One of the most stunning numbers in that report.
Among the more "optimistic" EWS entries - a place that once scored only 1376 with a manual reading. One of many sites whose degree of improvement needs more examination, as I mentioned before.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

RWood wrote:
NZstorm wrote:Dunedin got 2100hrs sunshine! One of the most stunning numbers in that report.
Among the more "optimistic" EWS entries - a place that once scored only 1376 with a manual reading. One of many sites whose degree of improvement needs more examination, as I mentioned before.
Yes, the 2100hrs is more like Alexandra. But my brother in Dunedin commented on how sunny the weather had been there in spring/December. El Nino has been good for Dunedins weather.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

NZstorm wrote:
RWood wrote:Dunedin got 2100hrs sunshine! One of the most stunning numbers in that report.

Yes, the 2100hrs is more like Alexandra. But my brother in Dunedin commented on how sunny the weather had been there in spring/December. El Nino has been good for Dunedins weather.
Yes, it has undoubtedly been an unusually sunny year in Dunedin. Re Alexandra, the manual values reported there are considerably lower than in the past and are miles behind Cromwell EWS - I suspect they need a site with better exposure. The hill suburb south of the river gets longer daylight ...

(one quote-pair removed to comply with embedding rules)