General July Weather

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
jamie

General July Weather

Unread post by jamie »

If this fog doesn't clear my record low max of 2.7 could be under threat. It's only 1.9 now at 11.15am with still very thick fog.
David

Re: General July Weather

Unread post by David »

jamie wrote:If this fog doesn't clear my record low max of 2.7 could be under threat. It's only 1.9 now at 11.15am with still very thick fog.
That doesn't sound right, your station has recorded a daily high of 2.7C in the past?

Another stunning day here so far, some high cloud appearing to the north now
jamie

General July Weather

Unread post by jamie »

Yep that temp is right. Most winters we will get a few days of fog all day. Our high today was 5.1 cause the fog never lifted. Still thick as.

The satellite image shows the cold well. Image
cbm

General July Weather

Unread post by cbm »

View from Hakarimata summit right now. You can see fog stopping at Taupri and big gap in the fog created by Hamilton urban area. Sunny when I went through there then back in thick fog as soon as got past Fonterra Te Rapa.
IMG_20160703_144200.jpg
IMG_20160703_144207.jpg
Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by cbm on Sun 03/07/2016 18:30, edited 1 time in total.
jamie

General July Weather

Unread post by jamie »

Awesome pics. Love that climb and view. Never been up there when it's like that tho.
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

Looks a lovely day above the fog though. Lovely day here with a light to moderate NW with a high of 15.3 deg at 2.30pm
Tornado Tim

Unread post by Tornado Tim »

Max today of 6.1°C here, I also see that Hamilton AWS has NZ's lowest High today of 4.6°C!
A very low maximum for the Waikato, but yes I agree with Jamie there has been times where temps barely rise above 2°C when the fog develops on odd occasions. The fog has been constant in Matangi, Started clearing mid afternoon in Hamilton CBD. Nice pics cbm :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NZAPStrike.net - NZ Aus Pacific Strike Network
Bradley

Unread post by Bradley »

Tornado Tim wrote:Max today of 6.1°C here, I also see that Hamilton AWS has NZ's lowest High today of 4.6°C!
A very low maximum for the Waikato, but yes I agree with Jamie there has been times where temps barely rise above 2°C when the fog develops on odd occasions. The fog has been constant in Matangi, Started clearing mid afternoon in Hamilton CBD. Nice pics cbm :)
I have to agree with David that a maximum of 2C for Hamilton sounds particularly strange considering in the 17 years from 1990-2007 Hamilton AWS lowest maximum was 6.5C, the next coldest was 8.4C but your saying it is quite common for maximums around that 2-4C range with fog?
Tornado Tim

Unread post by Tornado Tim »

Bradley wrote: I have to agree with David that a maximum of 2C for Hamilton sounds particularly strange considering in the 17 years from 1990-2007 Hamilton AWS lowest maximum was 6.5C, the next coldest was 8.4C but your saying it is quite common for maximums around that 2-4C range with fog?
I did not say it was common, read my comments again.... I said its on odd occasions that doesnt mean "common".

And most importantly not all of the Waikato can be gauged just by 1 Weather Station, that being Hamilton AWS. Going by that philosophy you could make some other claims about other areas and saying it applied to whole region, which it clearly does not.

There are many many more accurate scientific weather stations out there with there own climatic and historic databases out there, don't just base what you see on Metservice.com or data obtained from the internet to form an opinion. (Think about orchards, farming, crops etc - Most have a Weather Station )
Weather Stations feeding data to the public internet is actually quite rare, most are off the net entirely.

Opinions change as the more data you see and analyse.....

Anyway getting back on topic, temps now starting to fall again, 4.4°C, will be interesting what the low tonight will be, depends if that fogs sticks around.
NZAPStrike.net - NZ Aus Pacific Strike Network
cbm

Unread post by cbm »

It was mentioned in a thread ages ago that Ruakura's all time lowest daily maximum was 4. something, had never recorded an ice day. Not sure if that is the right figure. Seems like ages since Cambridge area has had a day like this. Came down off the hill and fog had not moved, but once got past The Base was in bright sunshine again which lasted to just past the Airport Rd/SH1 junction then was back in fog! I see now it was a strip, would have come out of it again if had been carrying on towards Tirau.
cbm

Unread post by cbm »

Bradley wrote:
Tornado Tim wrote:Max today of 6.1°C here, I also see that Hamilton AWS has NZ's lowest High today of 4.6°C!
I have to agree with David that a maximum of 2C for Hamilton sounds particularly strange considering in the 17 years from 1990-2007 Hamilton AWS lowest maximum was 6.5C, the next coldest was 8.4C but your saying it is quite common for maximums around that 2-4C range with fog?
If this is correct Airport got to somewhere between 5.5 and 6.5 today, which if not a record will be coldest for some time.
Screenshot from 2016-07-03 18-21-45.png
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

cbm wrote:It was mentioned in a thread ages ago that Ruakura's all time lowest daily maximum was 4. something, had never recorded an ice day. Not sure if that is the right figure. ...
Yes, Ruakura's lowest T-max is 4.0C recorded in July 1986, and its second lowest is 5.6C in June 1966 (data from 1940). And Hamilton Aero's lowest T-max is 3.4C also in July 1986 (data from 1972).

Also bear in mind that NIWA's records are for the 24 hrs to 9am, which may differ from a calendar day, e.g. if a fog were to keep temps well down all day, then cleared and became warmer before 9am the following morning, that morning temp might then be recorded as the high for the previous day.
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

I think Hamilton Aero's T-max of 7.0C yesterday will be its 2nd-equal all-time lowest T-max since 1972, shared with May 2009, July 1982 and July 1975.
cbm

General July Weather

Unread post by cbm »

Nev wrote:
cbm wrote:It was mentioned in a thread ages ago that Ruakura's all time lowest daily maximum was 4. something, had never recorded an ice day. Not sure if that is the right figure. ...
Yes, Ruakura's lowest T-max is 4.0C recorded in July 1986, and its second lowest is 5.6C in June 1966 (data from 1940). And Hamilton Aero's lowest T-max is 3.4C also in July 1986 (data from 1972).

Also bear in mind that NIWA's records are for the 24 hrs to 9am, which may differ from a calendar day, e.g. if a fog were to keep temps well down all day, then cleared and became warmer before 9am the following morning, that morning temp might then be recorded as the high for the previous day.
Fog disappeared overnight but no risk of getting above 7C before 9am.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Stunning winters day today calm and clear 16C.
Bradley

Unread post by Bradley »

Sam on the weather forecast this morning said they are watching a potential cold outbreak mid next week, I thought that was very odd to say that a full week out and also there isn't any signs whatsoever on any model of any major or even semi-major cold outbreak mid next week, maybe his Metservice buddies he gets his info from have access to different data to the rest of us :lol:
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

No cold outbreak mid week but there is a possible suggestion of one at the end of the week, but that will change.
David

Unread post by David »

Fog rolling into Parnell at midday... Strange!
SnwAddct
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by SnwAddct »

What time does the 0Z ECMWF charts usually become available?
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

SnwAddct wrote:What time does the 0Z ECMWF charts usually become available?
7pm. There is currently a fairly cold trough in the modelling for next week.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

David wrote:Fog rolling into Parnell at midday... Strange!
No fog here today. The Airport had lingering fog.
matttbs

Unread post by matttbs »

Maybe the moderators should create a new thread regarding all this tropical talk as it's rather annoying scrolling through the endless off topic chat to find actual July weather chat. Please and thank you.
Auckland & Tauranga
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

matttbs wrote:Maybe the moderators should create a new thread regarding all this tropical talk as it's rather annoying scrolling through the endless off topic chat to find actual July weather chat. Please and thank you.
Ok, Iv'e split those posts into a separate thread. It's not perfect because some of those posts also contain more general comments. So apologies to those posters, but it's the best I can do.

Edit: I've moved a few more earlier posts to that new thread and made the title a little broader. :-)
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Front overnight tonight over has some embedded instability with lapse rates 6.6C, 850mb dp 7-8C. Can't rule out a few lightning strikes in northern areas.

Thickness values later next week.
hozza95

Unread post by hozza95 »

Still -3 here with thick fog, chaos on the roads this morning