Luminescent cloud?

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
doxjq
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Luminescent cloud?

Unread post by doxjq »

Hey guys,

Just wondering if someone can give me some info on a strange cloud I saw yesterday above west Auckland. It was at about 4pm, the cloud was shining 10 times brighter than any regular cloud (almost as if there was a light behind it) and if you took a look at the cloud through tinted glass, you could see all the typical rainbow colours in and around it.

Had a little google and the closest thing I could find was noctilucent clouds, but this was at 4pm during the day when the sun was still up (although it was about to set) and it was at the same height as all the other clouds.

Is it still some kind of noctilucent cloud? I'm just curious is all, it looked really cool and never seen anything like it before!

Cheers.
Nev

Re: Luminescent cloud?

Unread post by Nev »

Hi doxjq. Would need to see a photo, but my guess is that it was a Circumzenithal Arc, or possibly one of a pair of Sundogs:-k
doxjq

Unread post by doxjq »

Unfortunately I couldn't get a photo as I was on the racing grid about to head out onto the track.

It was kind of like this though

https://www.sott.net/image/s6/125173/fu ... DC_736.jpg

It was a really nice day, not a cloud in the sky all day until about 3pm, and then the clouds that were there were kind of high and streaky. But there was just one really bright circular patch in the middle of all the clouds with colours like the picture above.

It was rather strange. I have seen the two examples you linked before. I'm surprised I haven't seen any photos of it online, I thought someone would snap it up and send it in to someone asking haha.
doxjq

Unread post by doxjq »

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/gc/540814 ... 2FhNyU%2Fq

Actually this here is a damn near perfect example. All the other clouds were dull while this one patch I could see was incredibly bright with colours like the one pictured here.

It was no where near as big as this one though.

Hope this helps!
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

The first pic is another version of a Circumzenithal Arc (its midday counterpart being a Circumhorizontal Arc), and the second pic looks like just Iridescent Cloud.
doxjq

Unread post by doxjq »

Nev wrote:Iridescent Cloud.
Sure looks like it. Thanks for the help!