General November Weather

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Nev

Re: General November Weather

Unread post by Nev »

RWood wrote:Met Service are saying that Napier's 33.4C and Gisborne's 33.3C are likely the 2nd and 3rd highest in the NZ November records.
NIWA have 34.8C at their Gisborne EWS yesterday, 34.1C at their Wairoa EWS and 34.0C at Wharerata.

Previous records include 33.9C at Hastings in 1945 and 33.7C at Fairlie in 1980 (NIWA also have 37.1C for Waiau in 1985, although I suspect that might be a typo as Culverden only recorded 27.0C that day).
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

Nev wrote:(NIWA also have 37.1C for Waiau in 1985, although I suspect that might be a typo as Culverden only recorded 27.0C that day).
If the site is still the same as today its in a very sheltered spot, the current setup is recording about 2deg higher every sunny day at this time of year to the one here, over all there wouldn't be much difference between here, Culverden and Waiau.
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

^ According to NIWA's notes, that 1985 reading was taken a little less than a km further south of their current Waiau School CWS.
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

That might have been at the line quarry over the other side of the Waiau river :-k ... and that would been a warm spot to have at too with all that bare rock radiating heat.
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

Not quite that far… :smile: Should've been near St Helens St and Parnassus St.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

A "Melbourne Day" here what I call it for today.
29.2C yesterday but only 13.9C for today with overcast ENE conditions.
JohnGaul
NZThS
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Nev wrote:Not quite that far… :smile: Should've been near St Helens St and Parnassus St.
An improbable reading. Not as bad however as the howler that may still be on the NIWA database - a 40+ reading at Kaikohe somewhere in the January 2000s, as I recall.
David

Unread post by David »

Another nice day here with 22C, been a great week weather-wise. Not looking so flash tomorrow though.
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

Nev wrote:Not quite that far… :smile: Should've been near St Helens St and Parnassus St.
oh :(
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

David wrote:Another nice day here with 22C, been a great week weather-wise. Not looking so flash tomorrow though.
The weather is good the week I am away.

A hot day here on the Sunshine Coast, Qld yesterday with a 34C max and humid. The humidity made it feel hot even for the locals.
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

Thinking about an early trip across the alps tomorrow to try catch a West Coast storm. Its always hit and miss with these setups as rain can kill all visiblity, but notice MS going with a tornadoes risk in there forecast so prob worth a shot. Chase again on Sunday in South / Mid Canterbury
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Dewpoint up to 19C in Auckland today. A wet day with 8mm.
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

I wonder if any storms will be severe Sunday? 500mb jet about 50-60 knts
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
tunster
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by tunster »

spwill wrote:
David wrote:Another nice day here with 22C, been a great week weather-wise. Not looking so flash tomorrow though.
The weather is good the week I am away.

A hot day here on the Sunshine Coast, Qld yesterday with a 34C max and humid. The humidity made it feel hot even for the locals.
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ60801 ... 4569.shtml

Looking at the observations, the 34C only occurred because the flow was offshore (i.e. dry and not humid, with a dewpoint of 12C when the 34C max occurred) for a time in the morning. Once the onshore breeze developed, temperatures dropped as humidity rose.
Outside of equatorial and near-equatorial regions, there are very few places where it can be both 34C and humid (meaning dewpoints in the high 20s for a drybulb like that) at the same time. Cities near the Persian Gulf, Gulf of Mexico, Red Sea, parts of India - certainly subtropical Queensland is not globally notable enough to get onto that list.

I'm only pointing this out because I think we should stop people when they make mad claims like "40C with 95% humidity!!!" which you hear every summer from people in Australia. It is of course nonsense, because if 95% humidity occurred on the Australian east coast, it would be first thing in the morning when temperatures would be around the high teens. 40C and 95% humidity would never occur at the same time, given that the highest ever dewpoint recorded in the world was 35C (in Saudi Arabia).
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

03Stormchaser wrote:Thinking about an early trip across the alps tomorrow to try catch a West Coast storm. Its always hit and miss with these setups as rain can kill all visiblity, but notice MS going with a tornadoes risk in there forecast so prob worth a shot.
I see MS still going with there High Risk on the coast this morning. Looking at it again this morning didn't warrant a trip over, little to no lightning being picked up aswell
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

03Stormchaser wrote: I see MS still going with there High Risk on the coast this morning. Looking at it again this morning didn't warrant a trip over, little to no lightning being picked up aswell
I think one of those big NW lightning shows would be worth a chase. But the Alps have been relatively quiet for lightning this year.

For tomorrow the GFS shows the trough crossing Canterbury in the early to mid afternoon timeframe but the model has dropped the southerly change. I suspect if there is good daytime heating a coastal southerly may still eventuate.

Quite a squally front coming into the west of the North Island tomorrow afternoon but thunder chances reduced due to low cb tops and south of Hamilton. Just some pm rain for Auckland.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

tunster wrote:
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ60801 ... 4569.shtml

Looking at the observations, the 34C only occurred because the flow was offshore (i.e. dry and not humid, with a dewpoint of 12C when the 34C max occurred) for a time in the morning. Once the onshore breeze developed, temperatures dropped as humidity rose.
Outside of equatorial and near-equatorial regions, there are very few places where it can be both 34C and humid (meaning dewpoints in the high 20s for a drybulb like that) at the same time. Cities near the Persian Gulf, Gulf of Mexico, Red Sea, parts of India - certainly subtropical Queensland is not globally notable enough to get onto that list.

I'm only pointing this out because I think we should stop people when they make mad claims like "40C with 95% humidity!!!" which you hear every summer from people in Australia. It is of course nonsense, because if 95% humidity occurred on the Australian east coast, it would be first thing in the morning when temperatures would be around the high teens. 40C and 95% humidity would never occur at the same time, given that the highest ever dewpoint recorded in the world was 35C (in Saudi Arabia).
34.4C with a dewpoint of 12.1C does feel humid. You could also say 12C dewpoint is not dry air but all these things are relative. My comment about humidity was more about the day, general Dps 19C-20C.
21C dewpoint here this morning with towering clouds around, some downpours for the Sunshine Coast today
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

Not looking as promising for storms tomorrow as first thought during the week. Was looking ok for sometime but has since like NZstorm said dropped the change and next to no decent moisture there. It looks very WSW
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

6mm from spill over showers this morning is most welcome, few more would be handy
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Just come back from a daytrip down to Geraldine. Very windy with NW specially along Thompsons Track with rain band cloud along the Southern Alps. Some peaks looked as they had fresh snow on them. At Geraldine not much wind there and quite mild. Interesting that there was 50mm in the rain gauge since we left there on the 14th, no wonder it is looking quite green down there. :mrgreen:
JohnGaul
NZThS
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:Just come back from a daytrip down to Geraldine. Very windy with NW specially along Thompsons Track with rain band cloud along the Southern Alps. Some peaks looked as they had fresh snow on them. At Geraldine not much wind there and quite mild. Interesting that there was 50mm in the rain gauge since we left there on the 14th, no wonder it is looking quite green down there. :mrgreen:
Know a bloke who lives close to Geraldine, when i used to go and see him, leaving here in summer time was like driving out of Nevada and arriving in the African grasslands during the wet season....could get ya car stuck just looking at the mud.
Though not looking too much like Nevada at the moment, getting 8mm today can only keep it looking like this a bit longer
Orion

Unread post by Orion »

I was in Temuka and Geraldine on Thursday 24th, much more drizzle sweeping through that area than may have been indicated on rain-radar that day.
Almost always looks lush and green in Geraldine through summer.
Blusterous winds here in Ashburton at times today.
snowstormwatcher

Unread post by snowstormwatcher »

Orion wrote:I was in Temuka and Geraldine on Thursday 24th, much more drizzle sweeping through that area than may have been indicated on rain-radar that day.
Almost always looks lush and green in Geraldine through summer.
Blusterous winds here in Ashburton at times today.
The area Behind Geraldine between the fourpeaks up to mt Somers always picks up good amounts of rain during any onshore drizzle/rain event often 20-30mm while on the coast only a couple of mm..
David

Unread post by David »

Was a reasonably nice day here, with temps 13C - 23C. Gardens looking a bit fresher after 11mm of rain yesterday. My station has 100mm of rain this month which actually makes it the wettest November in my 7 years of records - it's traditionally one of the drier months.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Richard wrote:
Know a bloke who lives close to Geraldine, when i used to go and see him, leaving here in summer time was like driving out of Nevada and arriving in the African grasslands during the wet season....could get ya car stuck just looking at the mud.
Though not looking too much like Nevada at the moment, getting 8mm today can only keep it looking like this a bit longer
Might be interesting to see rainfalls in Geraldine once I set my weather station there, from next year :smile:
JohnGaul
NZThS