Melbourne Weather

Discussion of weather and climate outside of NZ's waters. Australian weather, tropical cyclones and USA storm chasing feature here.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Melbourne Weather

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

A rather warm dey here in Melbourne today with it getting up to 30.6C.
JohnGaul
NZThS
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Re: Melbourne Weather

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Coolish weather over the last couple of days. Very similar to ChCh.
Quite pleasant to wander around the city in.
Hate to imagine what it would be like in the middle of summer, i.e.. 40Cplus : :eek:
JohnGaul
NZThS
Cyclone Tracy

Unread post by Cyclone Tracy »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote: Wed 27/09/2017 01:15 Coolish weather over the last couple of days. Very similar to ChCh.
Quite pleasant to wander around the city in.
Hate to imagine what it would be like in the middle of summer, i.e.. 40Cplus : :eek:
It's an amazing place for weather in Melbourne, especially summer. Temperature ranges are extraordinary. I was there on a day around 43c with a northerly and then a southerly change took the temp to 19c within an hour. Hot desert wind one minute, Southern ocean wind the next :>
tgsnoopy

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

Cyclone Tracy wrote: Thu 28/09/2017 14:55I was there on a day around 43c with a northerly and then a southerly change took the temp to 19c within an hour. Hot desert wind one minute, Southern ocean wind the next :>
Wow, lucky, that'd be an awesum experience. Hope you were outside in it.
ryant1234

Unread post by ryant1234 »

I moved back to Melbourne at the end of May last year after a year and a half of Christchurch Weather having moved back to study. I Forgot how warm the nights can be in summer. I'm also surprised that we're having so many hot days during a La Nina.

This week Weatherzone has the dewpoints at 3pm on Friday and Saturday at 26 degrees and those days are 35 and 39. Thats insane! Never seen that before
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

A quick look at the GFS indicates the dewpoint in Melbourne will get up to about 20C later in the week which is very high for Melbourne, coming back a bit with the higher temperatures, still very humid conditions for Melbourne.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

If you look at the weather section of the forum city-data.com, it's amusing the amount of vitriol that gets heaped on Melbourne by heat-lovers (not that I would ever go there for a winter break ...)
ryant1234

Unread post by ryant1234 »

Had a storm Thursday night come right towards me with lots of lightning in distance but it changed direction and missed me. A few stalled over some south eastern suburbs for an hour or more on the radar.
Late yesterday afternoon had lots of distance thunder but couldn't see to many flashes. Storm ended up dying once it hit the outer western suburbs and just turned to some rain which wasn't too heavy.

Also

http://www.theage.com.au/environment/we ... 0o208.html

"Blair Trewin, a senior climatologist at the bureau, said Melbourne has never recorded a combination of 35 degrees and a 20-plus dew point reading.

"Broadening to 35 and 18 [degrees, dew point], there are four separate events where that has occurred," Dr Trewin said.

Two of them were during last summer, and the others back in 1993, when two days "coincided with the notorious Guns n' Roses concert at Calder Park", he said."