Darwin 2017

Discussion of weather and climate outside of NZ's waters. Australian weather, tropical cyclones and USA storm chasing feature here.
tgsnoopy

Darwin 2017

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

Doing a quick trip up to Darwin. I just got leave approval, I've found flights from Auckland & Accommodation for a lot less than just the flights I booked for the 2010 or 2011 trips.

Fights Auckland to Brisbane are NZ$415 (Air NZ, with bag), Brisbane to Darwin Au$256 (Tiger, express - not incl bag), 5 nights accommodation at Budget Inn (motel with private bathroom) NZ$325. Something like NZ$1100 all up I hope for flights & accommodation (not sure if Tiger sting taxes later, so might up it? They do $22 a leg for a 20kg checked bag!).

Looking at only 5 days there, Fly Sun 26th Nov NZ239 from Auckland @ 4pm, arrive back Sat 2nd Dec on NZ136 @ 5.25pm. FWIW - Tiger has a bad rep, if you don't check in 45 mins before departure at the airport you can't get on the flight... Gap in Brisbane is 4 hours 10 min on the way over, should be plenty of time. Returning the gap is 5 hours 30 min in case they are late (more likely the case), there is good shopping with free connecting buses a short distance from Brisbane airport. Who knows, might even get to see a storm whilst there?

Haven't looked at rental car yet, but I'll be looking for something cheap (& on gas) with Air Conditioning (for obvious reasons up there) and unlimited km's.

A couple of things I haven't got done on prior trips I'd like to do are Katherine River Cruise, Yellow Water Cruise, Barramundi fishing & would be keen on the spectacular jumping croc tour in Adelaide River again if practical. But none of these may happen if storms fire & the chances are good at that time of the year. Sing out if you are keen, always better sharing some rental car costs with another storm enthusiast than just doing it on your own.
Last edited by tgsnoopy on Mon 09/10/2017 11:22, edited 1 time in total.
tgsnoopy

Re: Darwin 2017

Ok, Tiger charges $22 more for the checked bags. Also, Willo has pointed out a Jetstar 10% price beat garantee which apply to the Tiger flights. As Tiger has a poor reputation for bumping people & cancelled flights, Jetstar is a better bet with very compatible flight times. Am awaiting a response to my claim on the price garantee from Jetstar.

http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/price-beat-guarantee
tgsnoopy

Well done Jetstar, that was easy. Sadly during the booking process my cheap fare on one of the Air NZ flights between Auckland & Brisbane went up by $70 as I was too slow confirming my leave & booking. Now have all flights & accommodation booked.
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

Sounds like a fun trip Neil!

Sent from my VIE-L09 using Tapatalk

NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
Rogue

Unread post by Rogue »

Would be keen to do an aussie trip at some point, have other holiday plans over that period unfortunately!
tgsnoopy

Was a slog getting here. Worked till late Sat night getting scheduled maintenance up to a point I could go. Then slept in without an alarm a bit Sun. By the time I finished cleaning my work van on Sun it was like 9.30am and I packed quickly before leaving for the airport at 11am. No sleep on the (delayed by weather) flight Brisbane to Darwin, so was a wreck by the time I finally got to the motel (no thanks to road closures). Willoughby commented on Facebook about how cool it was last night with the inland storms near Katherine feeding outflow winds to Darwin, a mere 26°C with a 22°C Dewpoint (Yeah right Willo!).

Trying to catch up on Paperwork from last week online presently, hoping to catch up with Jacci later as good chance of decent storms this arvo. Haven't caught up re when Willo is finishing today, he's working at the mo.
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

Conditions a but suppressed at the moment but it looks a lot better further in the week tgsnoopy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

I see Darwin forecast to get 35C next few days.
tgsnoopy

36.3°C with a 24.8° Dewpoint at Noonamah yesterday (According to my Kestrel). We felt it. Jacci's phone went flat so we had to sit in the car with the AC err engine running to charge it ;)

Sadly there was minimal heating due to cloud cover and what was trying would look ok to start with but lacked sufficient buoyancy to get anywhere, just kept getting it's tops blown off.

Today is another day, we'll see what it brings.
tgsnoopy

Jacci for those whom don't know her is a respected local photographer up here in the NT.

https://jacciingham.com/lightning.html
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Have a great week tgsnoopy, the weather is spectacular up there this time of year.