Deep Subtropical low 4th/5th January

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Cyclone Tracy

Re: General January Weather

Unread post by Cyclone Tracy »

All the big models are on board now. They believe a mothership upper low is going join forces with a surface low to spawn a 200+ mm water bomb over the North Island at the end of this week if it comes off. Latest EC is modelling an aggressive 987 hPa cyclonic Tasman gyre with a 40 to 50mm Precip water. Bay of Plenty looks wet but this will wobble around on each model run. Decent flow on effects to be felt across most of NZ. Time will tell I suppose...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tgsnoopy

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

Cyclone Tracy wrote: Sun 31/12/2017 19:56 All the big models are on board now. They believe a mothership upper low is going join forces with a surface low to spawn a 200+ mm water bomb over the North Island at the end of this week if it comes off. Latest EC is modelling an aggressive 987 hPa cyclonic Tasman gyre with a 40 to 50mm Precip water. Bay of Plenty looks wet but this will wobble around on each model run. Decent flow on effects to be felt across most of NZ. Time will tell I suppose...
I hope it's wrong, don't need any 20mm/hr+ events here until post some changes I intend to make (which can't happen until trade suppliers resume 2018 normal business hours). Enough of the flooding, can do without it.
midgrove

Unread post by midgrove »

Cyclone Tracy wrote: Sun 31/12/2017 19:56 All the big models are on board now. They believe a mothership upper low is going join forces with a surface low to spawn a 200+ mm water bomb over the North Island at the end of this week if it comes off. Latest EC is modelling an aggressive 987 hPa cyclonic Tasman gyre with a 40 to 50mm Precip water. Bay of Plenty looks wet but this will wobble around on each model run. Decent flow on effects to be felt across most of NZ. Time will tell I suppose...
Where do these maps come from?
Cyclone Tracy

GFS and EC just keep upgrading.... Both having a cyclonic cut off surface low attacking the north island in the 970's hPas now. These simmering surface sea temperatures are going to create a warm advection machine. The time bomb has been ticking for a while now. I'd say the MetService severe weather dept would have sweaty palms after the 12z model runs.

Anyone camping on the north island, I'd start packing up the tent within the next 48 hours

@midgrove, maps are from an ECMWF related subscription I have. Not freely available.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Certainly an interesting low on gfs with a warm core resembling a tropical storm.
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

Tonights run will be interesting...I may cancel local camping plans and head south this weekend.
David

Unread post by David »

Metservice forecast for Auckland looking grim mid-late week - says heavy rain and northeast gales Thursday night.
Tornado Tim

Unread post by Tornado Tim »

There is good model consensus on this warm cored low, which in itself being so far south in latitude being warm cored is unusual.
What concerns me most, is this is only the beginning of the warmup, the sea lags behind by around 3-4 months to reach peak, and already parts of the northern Tasman sea are close to beyond breaching 25*C according to satellite obs.
The extent of the warm water finger extends to a significant portion to the south which is very much helped by the east Australian current.

I would very much expect that the Tasman Sea esp on the western end toward Australia is going to become a potent brewing ground for these lows to develop.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NZAPStrike.net - NZ Aus Pacific Strike Network
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

I see EC has the low in a couple of days time moving across NZ more quickly now and away to the SE, GFS still has lingering low system.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

spwill wrote: Tue 02/01/2018 08:49 I see EC has the low in a couple of days time moving across NZ more quickly now and away to the SE, GFS still has lingering low system.
I think the EC is likely correct with the subtropical low making a prompt exit. And EC brings in a big ridge for next week, so settled weather returns for the second week of January.
David

Unread post by David »

Hopefully the low doesn't exit too quickly, really need a good soaking. I see GFS rain estimates for Auckland are now around 50mm, down from 100mm. Hopefully doesn't drop too much further
NZstorm

Deep Subtropical low 4th/5th January

Unread post by NZstorm »

A low will develop east of Queensland today and drift southeast toward NZ and deepen. The ECMWF has its centre near New Plymouth 6am Friday 977hpa.

The exact movement of the low will determine wind patterns but severe gales and big wing gusts look likely in exposed parts of the North Island.

Not a good weather system to be camping in as tree branches can come down.
Richard

Re: Deep Subtropical low 4th/5th January

Unread post by Richard »

Ive edited the other thread so as to separate it from this thread. I suppose this incoming low has no connection to the current period of convection.
midgrove

Unread post by midgrove »

I have already seen one media report on the upcoming "weather bomb front" - whatever that is!. Strangely New Zealand is mentioned as a country where this term is misused the most, a sad reflection on our media.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Richard wrote: Wed 03/01/2018 08:43 Ive edited the other thread so as to separate it from this thread. I suppose this incoming low has no connection to the current period of convection.

Yes, its an entirely separate event and justifies its own discussion thread. We rarely get lows of this magnitude in summer.
David

Unread post by David »

Surprised there are no severe weather watches or marine warnings issued by Metservice yet
treetopkk
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by treetopkk »

weather bombs were quite regular 10-20 yrs ago.[ie rapidly deepening depressions moving SE crossing middle NZ] been nothing since, ex cyclones have crossed NE of the country. Changing weather patterns ? is there much jet stream influence on this one ?
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

treetopkk wrote: Wed 03/01/2018 10:25 is there much jet stream influence on this one ?
Subtropical jet is behind the deepening. 120kts at 200mb.
Cyclone Tracy

Some good convective development in the last hour off the Queensland coast.

Access R high res 18z has a stronger significant hit across most of the NI. Now modelled at 970 hPa. GFS 18z is getting deeper as well. Full blown RI extra tropical cyclone if they are correct. MetService alarm bells not too far away now I would think.
Cyclone Tracy

2 surface circulations over 34 knots have now formed off Queensland with lightning on the north eastern flank of the circulation at 24S E158. Marine vessel movements on the east side of the upper North Island has increased quite a bit in the last 6 hours.
Cyclone Tracy

Equatorial like levels feeding into the atmospheric river. Currently 50 to 70mm.
http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/m ... anim=html5
Cyclone Tracy

00Z runs for the record. The main models have now come into alignment with Access R on strength and close to placement. Access R 969, GFS, 971 and EC 969hPa....
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

The frontal boundary moving down the from the north tonight has some low topped convection with it. That will be a favoured zone for localised severe gusts.
cbm

Unread post by cbm »

If ECMWF is right, this wind is going to funnel from the firth of Thames and hit parts of Waikato and King Country that rarely see strong winds.
wind.JPG
Cyclone Tracy

Cape Reinga now down to 1003 hPa. Rapid Cyclogenesis about to commence on a synoptic scale. Marine wind obs now 45 knots on the eastern flank. Warm fronts currently moving down into the upper NI with temps reaching into the -50c's on the cloud tops. It's show time :smile: