Thunderstorms - 26-27th Jan

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Tornado Tim

Re: Thunderstorms - 26th Jan

Unread post by Tornado Tim »

Wicked bolters on severe warned storm in taupriri. Storms about to die so going to head home now, plenty of pics...
NZAPStrike.net - NZ Aus Pacific Strike Network
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

I just got home. Great lightning display going on still. Tim and I tried and tried to get north of it but couldn’t. We core punched from Cambridge right up to Taupiri and gave up the chase as it was heading into Huntly west which isn’t chase country.

No power here.
jamie

Thunderstorms - 26th Jan

Unread post by jamie »

Tim and I would have driven through rainfall rates of 200+mm/hr and wind gusts pushing 100km.

Rototuna a few kms from home has had a roof lifted and trees down. Lots of mess there. Oh and hail which looks about 10mm.

I’m gutted we couldn’t get in front of it but core punching was fun.
jamie

Thunderstorms - 26th Jan

Unread post by jamie »

Did anyone save or can anyone go back and save the radar scans from today. Would love to watch it all play out. Today was quite an interesting day regarding storm development and movement
Thunder081

Unread post by Thunder081 »

jamie wrote: Fri 26/01/2018 21:44 Did anyone save or can anyone go back and save the radar scans from today. Would love to watch it all play out. Today was quite an interesting day regarding storm development and movement
Here you go I always save them.
fullscreen: https://www.facebook.com/756ytr7454/vid ... 223162007/
Wellington southerly front timelapse: www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBl3hsuIg2Q
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Chased in southern Waikato late day, some explosive looking development and quite a few thunderstorms around by early evening, the day finished with some anvil crawlers against a sunset sky.
Some photos from my chase.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by spwill on Fri 26/01/2018 23:19, edited 1 time in total.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Good pics spwill. A bit of a shelf cloud there in the last photo.
Thunder081

Unread post by Thunder081 »

Nice pictures spwill. I'm guttered that I couldn't chase today but I can tomorrow and I'm considering it since MS latest t-outlook is saying moderate risk of severe thunderstorms but today was one of the big days.
Wellington southerly front timelapse: www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBl3hsuIg2Q
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

NZstorm wrote: Fri 26/01/2018 23:16 Good pics spwill. A bit of a shelf cloud there in the last photo.
I got stuck under the storm for quite some time with very slow traffic in torrential rain and likely missed some good storm structure, I couldn't drive quick enough to get out in front of the storm..
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Thunder081 wrote: Fri 26/01/2018 23:22 Nice pictures spwill. I'm guttered that I couldn't chase today but I can tomorrow and I'm considering it since MS latest t-outlook is saying moderate risk of severe thunderstorms but today was one of the big days.
Good luck for tomorrow. I will keep an eye on tomorrow.
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

Beautiful looking cloud formations spwill
jamie

Thunderstorms - 26th Jan

Unread post by jamie »

Nice pick spwill. Interesting to hear it over ran you too. Very slow going trying to get in front. It was moving relatively fast but it was also a big multicell mess too.

I’ve just watched the radar and no wonder we couldn’t get back in front. It looks like while moving NW at a decent speed it also developed in new cells out in front of itself.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

There was quite an active upper trough sitting over eastern Bay of Plenty and that would have driven the squall line (SE flow aloft). It certainly moved very quickly.
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

Can someone edit the title to be today as well. I notice MetService have extended the severe thunderstorms area to include Hamilton now which is much bigger area than yesterday’s outlook for today.
Tornado Tim

jamie wrote: Sat 27/01/2018 10:08 Can someone edit the title to be today as well. I notice MetService have extended the severe thunderstorms area to include Hamilton now which is much bigger area than yesterday’s outlook for today.
Done
Tornado Tim

Re: Thunderstorms - 26-27th Jan

Was a fantastic chase with Jamie yesterday, heaps of clear air bolters and the CG's from the storms in Taupiri was amazing.

Started out in Kariprio where I pritty much stayed for a whole hour, watching things develop to the West and meet up with Jamie past the Karipiro domain and documented a storm from Cumulus all the way to dissipating Thunderstorm with an awesome outflow boundary.
Once we noticed convergence started extended to the north, we proceeded north, but the line kept on catching us on the road and we more or less core punched every single storm as we headed from Karipiro through Hamilton and into Taupiri.

The Rain was insane, cars where pulling over left right and center, and lots of small branches were snapping in the strong wind, as Jamie said most probably in excess of 200mm/h. No hail to mention though.
Pulled over in a Garage (old petrol station) in Taupiri where we were treated to great display of CG Lightning, some of which was fairly close. Then started to head home around 8.20 PM after looking at the radar and looking like the storms were going into unchaseable countryside, but then another bunch of storms developed to the east by about 10K and more CG Lightning was on show, so I just pulled over and watched for a bit.

As I was heading back south the sky was flickering on odd occasions with the storms dissipating in the twilight, but the amount of steam on the road made a thick blanket of fog on the road, quite a site to see.

Great Chase! Do it again Jamie? Perhaps today?! :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GreggWard

Unread post by GreggWard »

Awesome photos Spwill and Tornado Tim. It looks like you saw some decent storms.
Last edited by GreggWard on Sat 27/01/2018 12:15, edited 1 time in total.
Orion

Unread post by Orion »

All sounds and looks rather epic - happy for you :D _b
Tornado Tim

Updated T-storm Outlook for today:
Metservice wrote:The combination of another warm humid day and light winds is expected to allow daytime cloud buildups to produce scattered heavy showers and a few thunderstorms about the central North Island, inland parts of the northern South Island, and also the southern South Island this afternoon and evening.

In the North Island, the main risk of thunderstorms is about inland areas from southern parts of Auckland to Taihape, including parts of Rotorua, the eastern ranges of Bay of Plenty, Taumarunui, Tongariro National Park and possibly inland North Taranaki. Although the thunderstorm activity is not expected to be as widespread and intense as yesterday (Friday), a few of the storms may still be severe with localised downpours of 20-40mm/hr. Rainfall rates of this intensity can cause surface and/or flash flooding, and make driving conditions hazardous.

In the South Island, the main risk of thunderstorms is about inland parts of Nelson, southern Marlborough, Buller and possibly northern Westland, and also about northern Southland and parts of central and eastern Otago this afternoon and evening. These thunderstorms will be accompanied by localised heavy rain of 10-25mm/hr, but these is a low risk one or two of the storms over the northern South Island could be severe with localised downpours of 25-35mm/hr.

A larger surrounding low risk of thunderstorms covers both islands this afternoon and evening as indicated on the chart.

No other thunderstorms or significant convection expected over New Zealand today.
Tornado Tim

And resulting Watch:
Metservice wrote:Issued by MetService at 01:46 pm Saturday 27 January 2018
Valid until 10:00 pm Saturday 27 January 2018
This watch affects people in the following weather forecast districts:
Auckland
Waikato
Waitomo
Taumarunui
Bay of Plenty
Rotorua
Taupo
Taranaki
Taihape

*** Severe Thunderstorm Watch extended into southern parts of Auckland, and removed from the western Gisborne ranges ***

The combination of another very warm humid day and light winds is expected to allow daytime cloud buildups to produce scattered heavy showers and thunderstorms about the central North Island today.

Although the thunderstorm activity is not expected to be as widespread and intense as yesterday (Friday), a few of the thunderstorms may still be severe with localised downpours.

From about 3pm to 10pm today (Saturday), isolated thunderstorms may produce localised downpours of 20-40mm/hr about inland areas from southern parts of Auckland to Taihape, including parts of Rotorua, the ranges of eastern Bay of Plenty, Taumarunui, Tongariro National Park, and possibly eastern parts of inland North Taranaki.

Rainfall of this intensity can cause surface and/or flash flooding, especially about low-lying areas such as streams, rivers or narrow valleys, and may also lead to slips.

Driving conditions will also be hazardous with surface flooding and poor visibility in heavy rain.

Note: A Severe Thunderstorm Watch means conditions are favourable for severe thunderstorms in and close to the watch area. People in these areas should be on the lookout for threatening weather conditions and monitor for possible Severe Thunderstorm Warnings.

For information on preparing for and keeping safe during a storm, see the Civil Defence Get Ready Get Thru website

Issued by: John Crouch
Tornado Tim

Convergence zones already forming, a good sign!
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

Awesome. Western/central Waikato
Tornado Tim

The Himawari Sat Animation of Yesterdays Storms:
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

The convergence line over Auckland this afternoon with some solid cloud build ups, isolated heavy showers as well now.
David

Unread post by David »

Heard distant thunder here.