Australian Weather

Discussion of weather and climate outside of NZ's waters. Australian weather, tropical cyclones and USA storm chasing feature here.
Awhituobs

Re: Australian Weather

Unread post by Awhituobs »

have seen a video where the hail has gone not only through the roof but right through the ceiling, leaving big holes in the ceiling
this was baseball sized hail!
tgsnoopy

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

In Facebook I've seen a couple of people refer to the roar before it arrived. I cast my mind to a couple of experiences (both in Colorado) where you could hear hail impacting itself high in the cloud above before the occasional big ones came down around you. I beleive in both those cases the updraft was strong enough to keep recirculating the hail before it became huge and was ejected from the top of the cloud. This video shared by a well known Australian chaser reminds me of those occasions...

NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

It's a shame that cell phone video coverage is like looking through a doorway or looking through an opening in curtains,that is why I don't use a cell phone to record any coverage of an event and use my camera to film it instead. Maybe technology may improve on that in years ahead. :-w
JohnGaul
NZThS
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote: Tue 03/11/2020 21:28 It's a shame that cell phone video coverage is like looking through a doorway or looking through an opening in curtains,that is why I don't use a cell phone to record any coverage of an event and use my camera to film it instead. Maybe technology may improve on that in years ahead. :-w
People just need to use their phone in landscape mode more...

Good start to the summer season with the changed climate state with the La Nina. Victoria, SA and northern tropics doing very well.
latest.hres.png

Southwest WA in a bad spot with the increased desert easterlies as high pressure remains south of the state and in the Great Australian Bight.

October MSLP mean:
image.png
And still there right now:
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

40C + tomorrow Sunday for quite a few parts of eastern NSW. All Blacks will be playing in late 20s temps this evening in Newcastle, humid there as well.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Sydney Airport currently on 41.6C, 2pm Saturday. W/NW breeze blowing. Coastal Sydney often gets cooling onshore flow kicking in by early afternoon on the hot days.
tornado

Unread post by tornado »

Yes a decent heatwave over there alright hope it doesn't spark any fires.
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

spwill wrote: Sat 28/11/2020 16:20 Sydney Airport currently on 41.6C, 2pm Saturday. W/NW breeze blowing. Coastal Sydney often gets cooling onshore flow kicking in by early afternoon on the hot days.
I see Sydney Aero got to 43.0C around 4pm yesterday, just shy of its 43.4C record in 1982.

Yes, quite a lot temps reaching the high 40's around Australia yesterday, along with numerous Nov records falling, particularly in NSW and SA. The highest in NSW being 47.2C at Badgerys Creek. While in SA, new Nov records include 47.5C at Marree Aero, 47.4C at Oodnadatta and Roxby Downs, and 47.1C at Moomba Aero…
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

Graphics below are yesterday's daily max temps and their departures from normal:

Australia Daily Tmax for Nov 28.gif
Australia Daily Tmax anomaly for Nov 28.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Awhituobs

according to weatherzone, it was Australias warmest spring on record
which is suprising considering the developing La Nina
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

^ Yes, not surprising after Australia's warmest November and second warmest September on record.

From the BoM's, Seasonal Climate Summary for Australia in Spring 2020
Spring 2020 was the warmest on record for Australia, coming in with a mean temperature 2.03 °C above average, well above the previous record (+1.81 °C in 2014). The national mean maximum temperature was the fifth-warmest on record at 2.14 °C above average, while the mean minimum temperature was the warmest on record at 1.91 °C warmer than average (previous record 1.46 °C in 1998). ...
And from the BoM's, Monthly Summary for Australia in November 2020
The national mean temperature for November was the highest on record for Australia as a whole, at 2.47 °C warmer than average (previous record was +2.07 °C in 2014). Both mean maximum and mean minimum temperatures were above the highest on record for November at 2.90 °C and 2.04 °C above average, respectively. …
ryant1234

Unread post by ryant1234 »

Pretty boring La Nina in Melbourne, had a few heavy falls overnight over the last few months but the lack of thunderstorms in the western suburbs has been disappointing. Especially since I've been working from home for the past year and we always used to get them an hour before I finished work during spring/summer. Heard a few rumbles of thunder from storms to the south but due to the direction of my townhouse I couldn't see anything.

Summer has been great though temperature wise ,we been stuck with sea breezes for up to 5-7 days at a time though, never seen so many days sitting around 20 in summer here. March max is -1.8 below the long term average at the moment at the station Weatherzone references.

Some other locations in Victoria got some pretty interesting weather over summer I think. I remember seeing this severe thunderstorm on the radar being stationary for a few hours near Ballarat and some people recorded 150-200mm+ of rainfall

Also seems like a severe thunderstorm in the central highlands in QLD dropped 200mm over a few hours overnight.

https://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/flo ... ted/533660
Cyclone Tracy

Unread post by Cyclone Tracy »

This convergence zone sitting on the east coast of NSW has around 45mm total precip water feeding into it. Some serious rain has fallen and plenty to come. A rain gauge near Port Macquarie has registered 600mm in the last 48 hours.

I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains.

Poet Dorothea Mackellar 1906. She knew her Oz climate.
Cyclone Tracy

Sydney's largest dam, Warragamba dam is now spilling.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

ECMWF , their old site, is protecting a few Aussie ECLs this coming week following the anticyclone.
JohnGaul
NZThS
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

Usual bullshit from the media where they were saying this morning that the torrential is set to keep up till Thursday, #-o , the front looks to move off to the east Tuesday.
Cyclone Tracy

Latest high resolution model Access C 18z run is producing a water bomb over the next 36 hours. Considering dams are at capacity, this could be a devastating event across eastern NSW.
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

Richard wrote: Sun 21/03/2021 08:31 Usual bullshit from the media where they were saying this morning that the torrential is set to keep up till Thursday, #-o , the front looks to move off to the east Tuesday.
Media bias aside I'm going to call you out here, this is clearly a significant event and in this case I think those affected would take umbrage at your blunt and frankly rude dismissal of the situation to hand. Your comments here may not age well (I hope I am wrong on that)
Christchurch Rocks
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

Razor wrote: Sun 21/03/2021 14:20
Media bias aside I'm going to call you out here, this is clearly a significant event and in this case I think those affected would take umbrage at your blunt and frankly rude dismissal of the situation to hand. Your comments here may not age well (I hope I am wrong on that)
Yes it is a major event, but the media saying it will keep up till Thursday is not based on any computer modeling
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

Razor wrote: Sun 21/03/2021 14:20
Media bias aside I'm going to call you out here,
Thinking more about your comment, what the hell has media untruths and misinformation got to do with those affected by these floods, surely you would think they deserve factual reporting, dont they?. If you are taking offense over something as trivial as this you are hardly worthy of the role of a moderator .ffs
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

I noticed on the news that there was a bit of a tornado connected with this wet weather system.
JohnGaul
NZThS
tornado

Unread post by tornado »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote: Sun 21/03/2021 20:26 I noticed on the news that there was a bit of a tornado connected with this wet weather system.
Yes. Which the media over there using the word mini. [-X Chester park Sydney.
Awhituobs

its true not one model shows rain still by thursday
but maybe the media are meaning that the affects of the whole system will still be felt right up to thursday (i.e floodwaters/disruptions?)
Awhituobs

spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Intense downpours are part of Sydney climate. There is another couple of very wet days for Sydney on top of recent heavy rainfall, that is where the event is unusual being a prolonged event. They will be sick of the rain while it has hardly rained here this year.