Another horrible Week coming Up For Christchurch

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Another horrible Week coming Up For Christchurch

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Looks like another horrible week coming up for Christchurch with all those fine days as mentioned by the TV One weather person. :x
I thought with this current disturbed SW flow/low pressure/upper level lows etc., there could be lots of thunderous days, snow to low levels and cold southerly winds. :-k
...and the TV 3 weather person said ...and I quote " Unfortunately, this disturbed Sw flow is set to continue" :shock:
I thought, he should say "Thank goodness, this disturbed SW flow is set to continue"
Maybe he is a friend of Michael's ???? ;)

JohnGaul
NZTS
tich

Unread post by tich »

Be patient John - I've been looking at the latest model prognoses, and it looks like next weekend could be really interesting, with an active trough followed by very cold southerlies. Various complications are suggested, including a deepening low moving onto upper North Island and clashing with cold southerly air. (GASP) A long way out, but worth watching. Blue Skies is already mentioning snow to low levels towards the end of it forecast period.

Anyway, there's also the possibility of snow to low levels in the south of the South Island midweek, but in west/southwest system, so less likely to affect eastern areas. At least today wasn't all boring for storm enthusiasts in Canterbury, even though the thunderstorms (mentioned on TV1 Weather) didn't hit Chch. BTW just imagine if today's weather had occured in late spring or summer.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

tich wrote: At least today wasn't all boring for storm enthusiasts in Canterbury, even though the thunderstorms (mentioned on TV1 Weather) didn't hit Chch. BTW just imagine if today's weather had occured in late spring or summer.
I did pick up various sferix, especially at 4:25pm when it began to hail but by looking the cloud forms anything that looked to contain any lightning was likely to the NW of ChCh.
Yes, if today's weather had occured late spring/summer especially with a El Nino looming, events could of been a bit more dramatic :lol: :lol:

JohnGaul
NZTS
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

another fine day today :twisted: :twisted:

JohnGaul
NZTS
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

....and today :cry: :cry:

JohnGaul
NZTS