Widespread T-Storms 11-16 Dec

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
jamie

Re: Widespread T-Storms 11-16 Dec

Unread post by jamie »

They took their time. This storm was reaching warning criteria an hour ago.

I’m back home now. Thinking back those strong inflow winds I noticed should have told me this storm was exploding. Still can’t believe how many cg it threw out. I counted 3 positive strikes that landed miles from the storm. Well over 20 other cg strikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GreggWard

Unread post by GreggWard »

Lots of surface flooding in the Kelvin Grove area of Palmerston North, from severe warned thunderstorms around 5pm. Saw the warning at work, when I was just leaving, but 40 mins later it had been removed from MetService site.
Chris Raine

Unread post by Chris Raine »

Have emailed Blizortung in recent weeks .They say they have had trouble with their servers especially their app
Chris Raine

Unread post by Chris Raine »

Had an adjacent thunderstorm north of Thornbury at 1800 . At least one strike on their app
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

......and all we get around here is bloody 'clagg" >_<
but mind you there were some bright spots this afternoon.
Get rid of the high pressure under us, allowing the low to weakon or dissipate, so we can get rid of this 'Stale" weather, that has penetrated this area all week [-X >_<
JohnGaul
NZThS
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Auckland missing the action today but we may catch an elevated storm overnight Friday if not an afternoon convergence storm tomorrow.
Thunder081

Unread post by Thunder081 »

Chased in the Manawatu today and it was good, footage wise... meh. Saw 3 CGs and heard lots of thunder. There's a lot I need to learn but there's one thing that is SO annoying and others have this issue is the public radar. You have to zoom in on it and take a couple of minutes to work out where the storm is. It would be so useful if the radar was overlayed onto Google maps and I have previously tried to do this but it was too hard (I'm a beginner in programming and image processing). I might make a thread about this cause if that could be done it would be very useful.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
Wellington southerly front timelapse: www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBl3hsuIg2Q
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Thunder081 wrote: Thu 13/12/2018 20:02 Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
Good idea.
JohnGaul
NZThS
David

Unread post by David »

NZstorm wrote: Thu 13/12/2018 19:38 Auckland missing the action today but we may catch an elevated storm overnight Friday if not an afternoon convergence storm tomorrow.
Hopefully so, today is the 7th day without rain, so could definitely do with some
GreggWard

Unread post by GreggWard »

An article on Stuff regarding the surface flooding in Palmy, this afternoon:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/manawatu-standa ... ston-north

The article talks about 9.7mm of raining falling at the airport, which is a couple of kilometres away from Kelvin Grove. However, I drove through Kelvin Grove just after 5:45pm and it was like there was a localised area where the rain must have been torrential. I had to drive through 3 separate areas of flooding in the Kelvin Grove area that were within about a kilometre of each other.

I found the following personal weather station, in Kelvin Grove, which must have been in the path of the intense rain, as it shows 54.6mm falling in just over an hour. The weather station is a Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (Wireless), which I would think would be reasonably accurate:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-w ... IPALMERS35
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

A very late convergence line has/is developing to my east. Almost a repeat of this evenings storm.

jamie

Unread post by jamie »

And there it is....thunder. Nice to hear and watch from bed (bed looks of east facing window).

spwill

Unread post by spwill »

They were nice cloud tops to the south of here late yesterday.
I plan to get out for a chase today after 2pm, possibly head down to North Waikato.
GFS is putting out some good instability numbers over Waikato this afternoon/evening.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Phone pic of distant thunderstorm over Waikato late yesterday afternoon. Taken from Glendowie, east Auckland where I was working.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

Hopefully today is as good as yesterday. Reports of rainfall from under that cell yesterday are all 50+mm in under an hour. Doesn’t surprise me one bit.

jamie

Unread post by jamie »

Very warm sunny morning here. Already have cu towers to my north. Hope it doesn’t go off too early.

Tornado Tim

Unread post by Tornado Tim »

Blimey! Chase day today i think, Jamie what you up to mate?
The combination of another warm humid day and generally light winds are expected to allow daytime cloud buildups to produce scattered heavy showers and thunderstorms over many parts of New Zealand today.

In the North Island, there is a high risk of thunderstorms this afternoon and evening about inland areas from Northland to the Tararua ranges and Wairarapa (including Auckland), and also about coast parts of Gisborne, Hawkes Bay and Wairarapa (however a few of the thunderstorms may develop before midday). A surrounding low risk covers all remaining North Island areas. These thunderstorms will be accompanied by localised heavy rain and hail. Some of the thunderstorms are expected to be severe, producing localised downpours of 25-40m/hr (or more), hail possibly larger than 20mm diameter, and maybe strong wind gusts of 60-80km/hr in a few places.

In the South Island, there is a moderate risk of afternoon and evening thunderstorms about inland areas from Marlborough and Nelson down to North and Central Otago, and possibly also the Fiordland mountains. A low risk of thunderstorms covers many other areas except eastern Canterbury, southern Southland and Stewart Island. These thunderstorms will be accompanied by localised heavy rain and small hail. A few of the thunderstorms could also be severe about inland parts of Nelson, western Marlborough, Buller, and North Westland with localised downpours of 25-40mm/hr.

Severe Thunderstorms Watches have been issued for many parts of the North Island and northern South Island. Severe Thunderstorms can bring intense localised downpours causing surface and/or flash flooding, and make driving conditions extremely hazardous. Large hail can cause damage to crops, orchards, vineyards and glass-houses.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NZAPStrike.net - NZ Aus Pacific Strike Network
Tornado Tim

ECMWF which is usually very conservative on CAPE, is pulling out all the punches early this afternoon, havent seen this much CAPE by that model predicted in ages!

Decent SFC Convergence probably will kick in properly post 1 PM, with a clearly marked zones going by the models, this this similar to the same setup as yesterday.

Difference here is that we have upper level temps about 2 degrees colder than yesterday afternoon, that means lapse rates will be stronger (and should in theory have even more electrical activity as a result)

Cross finger things dont get going too early, we want as much DTSH as possible.

Risk of flash floods today as storms will be slow moving and will have a tendancy to dump a heck of allot of rain in a short space in time.
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

I knew first thing that today was going to be a risk as the low cloud we've had a lot of lately had cleared mostly away. Can't get over how much of NZ is under a moderate or more risk
Rogue

Unread post by Rogue »

Thanks Tim, where do you access those ECMWF images?
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

Tim I’ll be milking as per usual but can start early like I did yesterday or start late.

Tornado Tim

Rogue wrote: Fri 14/12/2018 09:26 Thanks Tim, where do you access those ECMWF images?
I use: https://www.weatherzone.com.au/layers/
David

Unread post by David »

NE breeze seems to be prevailing over AKL at the moment. Hopefully we can still get some PM convergence
shovelopikis
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by shovelopikis »

Very loud rumbles every few mins...not much cloud cover still and clouds are not very heavy yet...going to be an interesting afternoon.
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

CB tops now visible here. Early start!