First Major Winter Storm of 2019

Archive of NZ Weather and Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
mikestormchaser

Re: First Major Winter Storm of 2019

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

Chris W wrote: Fri 31/05/2019 13:13
mikestormchaser wrote: Fri 31/05/2019 13:10 I would of been going a low to moderate risk of thunderstorms in Canterbury today
Only givin the temperatures have been so warm for time of year.
So a storm could well be on the cards along the change
I wondered, with frigid air aloft but thought maybe the surface temperatures were still too low? MS have a low risk from Chch northwards.
Surface temps would still be quite warm though givin the spring like conditions we have had. Esp this week.
Today would be a high risk day if we were in summer. But definitely warrants a low risk.
As for snow, for me it might lower to 400m on BP with showers/ hail in the city. Nothing looks exciting yet other then just your usual wintry blast and snow on the alps
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
Cyclone Tracy

Unread post by Cyclone Tracy »

2 cents worth

Latest sat snap is showing some circulation off the SI west coast, as the surface low develops. I’ve studied the latest model runs and put the projected surface low positions at 6am tomorrow morning. The American’s (both GFS and New GFS) are now following the UK with the cyclone centred between Christchurch and Kaikoura just off the coast . Both the UK and New GFS have the pressure around 978 hPa. The temp difference between sea surface and 850 hPa on the backend of the system at 6am is around 13 to 15c which is a prime ‘ocean effect’ environment. This will have more energy than your vanilla flavoured snow event.

The UK and GFS scenario will be talked about a while if it verifies. If the others verify, not so much :smile:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
snowchaser01

Unread post by snowchaser01 »

Cyclone Tracy wrote: Fri 31/05/2019 13:28 2 cents worth

Latest sat snap is showing some circulation off the SI west coast, as the surface low develops. I’ve studied the latest model runs and put the projected surface low positions at 6am tomorrow morning. The American’s (both GFS and New GFS) are now following the UK with the cyclone centred between Christchurch and Kaikoura just off the coast . Both the UK and New GFS have the pressure around 978 hPa. The temp difference between sea surface and 850 hPa on the backend of the system at 6am is around 13 to 15c which is a prime ‘ocean effect’ environment. This will have more energy than your vanilla flavoured snow event.

The UK and GFS scenario will be talked about a while if it verifies. If the others verify, not so much :smile:
I'm picking a location near GFS modelling!!
Born and bred Cantab. Weather is my passion. Reporting from northern Christchurch.
Check me out on Youtube!
www.youtube.com/channel/UCa9rslfDkfWR3X6Spw5b5yA
talbotmj15

Unread post by talbotmj15 »

Seeing lake effect snow and how that all plays out if the ingredients for this align and the low sits 50km off the coast then theres no reason snow doesn't get to sea level along with blizzard winds. These are notorious for being very localized. Personally i cant say ive seen a full sea effect system in NZ? Ive seen warm sea enhancement in systems in NZ but not a full on one which is still a big if.
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Its a kind of high stakes pin the tail on the donkey game, isn't it? Do I recall correctly the paper published eons ago which showed that when surface low pressure centres cross the Southern Alps they reform on the downwind side displaced to the north? I hope I have that correct. If so, then the UK modelled centre position would be least likely to my eyes based on the current likely depression centre's movement off the West Coast, and the more northern positions off Kaikoura or even closer to Wellington could come into play. No one seems to have mentioned destructive gales for Kaikoura or Wellington tomorrow, but, well, I have now.
Growler

Unread post by Growler »

Colmbo St, Chch, 1 June 2019 :lol: :lol:
074197bc86ea6e753836f0bc92c07b13.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
snowchaser01

Literally is a waiting game now... observe and report as the low crosses peeps!
Born and bred Cantab. Weather is my passion. Reporting from northern Christchurch.
Check me out on Youtube!
Growler

Unread post by Growler »

I'll be hunkered down in Rolleston all weekend, ,might go play in Springfield or higher tomorrow, have Canyonero, will travel.
MoorfNZ
Location: (300m asl) Waddington, inland mid-Canterbury, New Zealand

Unread post by MoorfNZ »

Watching and waiting in Waddington, nr Sheffield (300m asl)...
Last edited by MoorfNZ on Fri 31/05/2019 15:08, edited 1 time in total.
einzack

Unread post by einzack »

I'm just hoping everything is (mostly) over by Sunday morning otherwise the Christchurch Marathon is going to be a whole new level of miserable....
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

einzack wrote: Fri 31/05/2019 15:07 I'm just hoping everything is (mostly) over by Sunday morning otherwise the Christchurch Marathon is going to be a whole new level of miserable....
Should be ok, but it will be brass monkeys cold and maybe the odd shower still clipping the city. At an educated guess
Christchurch Rocks
BeaconHill

Unread post by BeaconHill »

TonyT wrote: Fri 31/05/2019 14:32

… based on the current likely depression centre's movement off the West Coast, and the more northern positions off Kaikoura or even closer to Wellington could come into play. No one seems to have mentioned destructive gales for Kaikoura or Wellington tomorrow, but, well, I have now.
Windy.png
Certainly looks like Saturday night into Sunday is going to be wild in Wellington. At least the ground is reasonably dry, so less likelihood of whole trees coming down on powerlines etc like happened in the last really major storm almost 6 years ago (blew down my whole front fence!).
Major news outlets don't mention much apart from "Gales were also on the cards for many, with a strong wind watch issued for Wellington.. . . . . NZTA also had strong wind warnings in place for Remutaka Hill."
snowchaser01

Boy o boy, there is some very heavy rain in that bad just off the west coast currently!!
Check me out on Youtube!
Chris W

Unread post by Chris W »

Razor wrote: Fri 31/05/2019 15:11
einzack wrote: Fri 31/05/2019 15:07 I'm just hoping everything is (mostly) over by Sunday morning otherwise the Christchurch Marathon is going to be a whole new level of miserable....
Should be ok, but it will be brass monkeys cold and maybe the odd shower still clipping the city. At an educated guess
I've done the half and the 10k, -3 to start both times! You warm up quickly though \:D/
snow101

Unread post by snow101 »

Image Latest GFS has a ramp up in Moisture and the low centre further south closer to Chirstchurch area!
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Overcast, cold and calm day here with 3.5mm of drizzly rain so far.
As Richard Thompson said in his song The Storm Won't Come "No leaf is stirred, no dust is blown, there is no storm so I will make my own".
Well it seems to be like that at the moment here. :>
JohnGaul
NZThS
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

I just like to sit these events out now, the hype up to the event is a real drainer especially if you get wrapped up in belief.
But thats todays technology intermixing social media and catching the readers eye.
Once an over excited weather buff, now a casual sit back ill see it when it happens type 😆😁.
I will say though you can never trust a deep low to cross without some sort of surprise.
I remember a deep low crossed the south island in April one year, snow was forecast to 300-400m we had heavy rain sleet and snow to sea level at night for about half an hour as the low moved off.
I dont know the numbers, but i know its on here somewhere the posts.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
tich

Unread post by tich »

I remember way back to 1995, when a mild late autumn came to an abrupt at the beginning of June, with a storm bringing heavy snow to low levels in North Canterbury. (though not around Chch) Vehicles were stuck in snow on the highway south of Kaikoura (Hundalees Hill), while the day before I was travelling that route in sunny weather.
einzack

Unread post by einzack »

Chris W wrote: Fri 31/05/2019 15:31
Razor wrote: Fri 31/05/2019 15:11
I've done the half and the 10k, -3 to start both times! You warm up quickly though \:D/
Been there done that a few times before as well. I don't mind the cold, its the wind and rain that'll be the pain in the ass.
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

Metservice computer very bullish now saying 50-60mm before dawn?
Christchurch Rocks
snowchaser01

Razor wrote: Fri 31/05/2019 17:50 Metservice computer very bullish now saying 50-60mm before dawn?
Also got it easing quite quickly during the morning. To be honest i see it hanging around a tad longer than that.
Check me out on Youtube!
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

Moderate steady rain here now which should start getting heavier soon, dont expect snow here at 243m, not that I really want the horrible stuff.
Chris W

Unread post by Chris W »

Rain approaching Chch, looks light to the north but more peppy to the south. The skies looked leaden on the way home, would be surprised if we don’t get a decent amount of rain, whether or not we see flakes.
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

0Z ECMWF run has the low centre doing an interesting switchback tomorrow morning. At midnight its 984 over Kaikoura, at 6am its deepened to 981 and moved southeast, to lie equally southeast of Kaikoura and northeast of Banks Peninsula, then at midday its still at 981 and moved northwards to lie equally south of Cape Palliser and east of Cape Campbell, then by 6pm its east of Cape Palliser at 980ha. Tricky donkey!
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

Hokitika region must be taking a real hammering right now
Christchurch Rocks