General June Weather

Archive of NZ Weather and Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
tornado

Re: General June Weather

Unread post by tornado »

cloudy day here today. a bit of light drizzly rain at 10am this morning. sunrise was lovely before clagg came.
David

Unread post by David »

tornado wrote: Mon 10/06/2019 20:00 sunrise was lovely before clagg came.
Indeed, was nice enough I paused to take a photo before getting on the ferry :smile:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tornado

Unread post by tornado »

yeah then in came clouds with a drizzly shower 10 this morning
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Looks like a cloudy week ahead with showers about which at least keeps our overnight temperatures up. I don't like frosty weather.
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

Same, I'm not a fan of frosty weather either, that's why I'm quite liking the winters of the last 5-6 years thanks to this climate change.
David

Unread post by David »

GFS showing around 19C here Friday afternoon. My June record is 19.3C.
Cyclone Tracy

Unread post by Cyclone Tracy »

For those you who like to look at models, major changes are going into global production feeds on Wednesday and Thursday this week NZ time.

EC will be upgraded on the 12 June 12Z run to version 46 r1 and GFS will be replaced by FV3-GFS on 13 June 12Z. Officially the new American model will be called GFS Version 15.1 but it will be a next generation model with a state of the art dynamic core (Finite-Volume on a cubed-sphere). The resolution will seem higher with sharper edges on precipitation (especially storms) and frontal boundaries. Here are the latest NOAA accuracy figures from 11 May to June 10 up to 120 hours for the northern and southern hemisphere. It shows that FV3-GFS has now comfortably passed GFS into 3rd place just behind the UK and EC in the NH. CMC still beats its into 3rd place in the SH.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
snowchaser01

Unread post by snowchaser01 »

Looks pretty chilly down here around about the 17th... not much moisture though but maybe a few showers with snow above 500m
Born and bred Cantab. Weather is my passion. Reporting from northern Christchurch.
Check me out on Youtube!
www.youtube.com/channel/UCa9rslfDkfWR3X6Spw5b5yA
cbm

Unread post by cbm »

Hamilton forecast for next week - computer generated.
The overnight lows will get colder than that, if models of high pressure centred on NI are correct. That is almost right on the shortest day.
Would think that even a computer generated forecast should be more accurate.
temps.JPG
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Yes, the frosts make a return next week.

Showers for Auckland today, mainly fine here tomorrow.
Cyclone Tracy

Unread post by Cyclone Tracy »

2 cents worth for the rest of June.

Nothing abnormal associated with the polar vortex for the moment but GFS and EC are aligning on a strong MJO pulse entering tropics above OZ in the next 7 days. Enhanced convection in the tropics is likely to increase moisture into atmospheric rivers that stream above the Tasman. If the MJO pulse verifies, cut off lows and deluges could be on the menu in the last 10 days of the month, especially the NI and the east coast of Australia. Medium term model output might become quite volatile in the next few days.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

This could result in claggy days down here, like today and yesterday, with no wintry weather coming along to top the snow that fell over QBW. 0_o
JohnGaul
NZThS
tornado

Unread post by tornado »

auckland getting the clagg too. we under low pressure. at the moment
snowchaser01

Cyclone Tracy wrote: Wed 12/06/2019 14:21 2 cents worth for the rest of June.

Nothing abnormal associated with the polar vortex for the moment but GFS and EC are aligning on a strong MJO pulse entering tropics above OZ in the next 7 days. Enhanced convection in the tropics is likely to increase moisture into atmospheric rivers that stream above the Tasman. If the MJO pulse verifies, cut off lows and deluges could be on the menu in the last 10 days of the month, especially the NI and the east coast of Australia. Medium term model output might become quite volatile in the next few days.
Right on cue.... GFS plotting a rather concerning picture for central NZ for about the 20th of June.... big southerly undercutting a deep low sitting over the upper south/lower north.... \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Born and bred Cantab. Weather is my passion. Reporting from northern Christchurch.
Check me out on Youtube!
Bradley

Unread post by Bradley »

snowchaser01 wrote: Wed 12/06/2019 18:31
Cyclone Tracy wrote: Wed 12/06/2019 14:21 2 cents worth for the rest of June.

Right on cue.... GFS plotting a rather concerning picture for central NZ for about the 20th of June.... big southerly undercutting a deep low sitting over the upper south/lower north.... \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
EC going for mid teens for that same period for Canterbury lol. Who will win out?
snowchaser01

Bradley wrote: Wed 12/06/2019 20:03
snowchaser01 wrote: Wed 12/06/2019 18:31

EC going for mid teens for that same period for Canterbury lol. Who will win out?
All about low positioning once again... GFS has it central NZ EC has it off coast of fiordland.
Check me out on Youtube!
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

Cyclone Tracy wrote: Wed 12/06/2019 14:21 Medium term model output might become quite volatile in the next few days.
You called it sir...I certainly wouldn't be making any bold predictions on social media in the next few days... :-w
Christchurch Rocks
Chris W

Unread post by Chris W »

Yep GFS has stayed keen on an event around the 18th-22nd, but EC is having none of it. I think by the end of weekend they should start to coalesce on the truth, maybe...

GFS does seem to suggest a cut-off/subtropical low to the north of NZ later in the current run but it's so far out at the moment.
snowchaser01

Razor wrote: Thu 13/06/2019 09:33
Cyclone Tracy wrote: Wed 12/06/2019 14:21 Medium term model output might become quite volatile in the next few days.
You called it sir...I certainly wouldn't be making any bold predictions on social media in the next few days... :-w
I certainly won't be making any... can't speak for other pages though. Staying well back on this one until atleast Sunday.
Check me out on Youtube!
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Chris W wrote: Thu 13/06/2019 09:57 Yep GFS has stayed keen on an event around the 18th-22nd, but EC is having none of it. I think by the end of weekend they should start to coalesce on the truth, maybe...

GFS does seem to suggest a cut-off/subtropical low to the north of NZ later in the current run but it's so far out at the moment.
Ah, the truth. That mysterious and elusive element of weather forecasting! ;-)

Actually GFS and ECMWF guidance for late next week is very similar in terms of spatial pattern and evolution. Its just the north/south location of the systems which differs between the models, plus the timing. Long range data has been suggesting unsettled weeks in the third week of June and the first week of July for some time now, possibly this is going to end up as one longer unsettled period centred on the end of the month.
David

Unread post by David »

spwill wrote: Wed 12/06/2019 08:55 Showers for Auckland today, mainly fine here tomorrow.
:-k ;)
Orion

Unread post by Orion »

Low cloud/fog has approached from the east over the past hour, now quite misty here.
tornado

Unread post by tornado »

a few showers. and fog too. those sbower cloouds looked impresssive
David

Unread post by David »

Heaviest fog I've seen for some time here this morning. Ferry no doubt delayed
tornado

Unread post by tornado »

fog has again delayed flights at auckland airport.