Southern Annular Mode

Archive of NZ Weather and Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
wembley

Southern Annular Mode

Unread post by wembley »

Is there any way to predict how the Southern Annular Mode (SAM) is going to behave over any given season?
Cyclone Tracy

Re: Southern Annular Mode

Unread post by Cyclone Tracy »

Good question. What drives this climate pattern is still under plenty of research. The AAO 7 / 10 / 14 day outlook is the best and only real forecast indicator to my knowledge. The BoM's current research suggests an El Nino event leads to more negative SAM's and a La Nina event leads to more positive SAM's pushing the westerlies more south.
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

I prefer AAO as its a better descriptor of what it is. My view (and I think this is probably a little counter to that of many) is that the AAO is not a climate driver. Its a measure (symptom) of the interaction of other drivers. I dont believe that the AAO makes anything happen, rather, its a way of showing what is happening due to other factors. As such, I dont believe its predictable beyond the time frame of the synoptic modelling (day to day weather models) that we use to "measure" it.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Chart here of the long term trend in the AAO. This trend suggests less cold breaks over NZ now.
SAM.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Simon Culling

Unread post by Simon Culling »

This graph, giving the SAM since Sept 2018 and the current 14 day forecast, was placed on the MetService Twitter feed today:

https://twitter.com/MetService/status/1 ... 9436691456