USA Weather 2020

Discussion of weather and climate outside of NZ's waters. Australian weather, tropical cyclones and USA storm chasing feature here.
tgsnoopy

USA Weather 2020

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

Hi Everyone,

Ok, I went to my first ChaserCon in Wichita KS last February. I highly recommend it. Trouble is, next year is likey going to be the last one (Unless someone steps up to continue them, Roger & Caryn Hill from Silver Lining Tours have been indicating it's time to step down from running them a while now).

Next year it's a couple of weeks early, normally run mid February, it's being run in Denver CO again, back where it all started On Fri Jan 31st to Sun Feb 2nd.
ChaserCon in Facebook wrote:National Storm Chaser Convention
aka....CHASERCon 2020 IS ON!!!

When?
January 31 - February 2, 2020
Yes, it’s Super Bowl weekend but we couldn’t get any other dates.

Where?
DENVER!!!
(Because it all started in Denver...)

Location?
Double Tree Stapleton North

Theme:
“Get back to the
roots of your passion”

Will this be the last ChaserCon?
Sad to say....YES
- The NSSC started in Denver....it will have its GRANDE FINALE here!!!
http://chasercon.com/

I would like to go, but I am unlikely to be able to secure the required leave on that weekend (I'll try though). It's made worse by me already being away the preceding weekend.

Anyone who has thought about going, you might like to go to the potential finale.
Last edited by tgsnoopy on Wed 06/05/2020 18:16, edited 1 time in total.
NZstorm

Re: USA Weather & travel to the US on weather related matters 2020

Unread post by NZstorm »

Chasercon would be interesting but I would rather spend the money on tornado alley in May. I plan to chase 2020 mid to late May.
tgsnoopy

NZstorm wrote: Sun 13/10/2019 08:02 Chasercon would be interesting but I would rather spend the money on tornado alley in May. I plan to chase 2020 mid to late May.
That's a given, if I can, I'll also be chasing the US in late May. I'd just hate for someone who has always considered going and not got around to going to ChaserCon to not be aware and miss out on the last chance.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

If chasercon was in May I would go. I plan to be over there next year, last couple of week of May.
tgsnoopy

Ok my leave has been approved, but only for a very short trip. I'm leaving Tauranga Fri Evening & will be back on Tuesday.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

I see American Airlines is starting an Auckland Dallas service late next year. Not sure if its a year round service though. They are also starting a seasonal service Christchurch to Los Angeles.
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

Yea that flight will be brilliant. In saying that tho I’m not sure what their long haul flights are like?
If it’s anything like the United flight I took from Auckland to San Fran and back again, I wouldn’t do it. I found their plane so uncomfortable and entertainment, food, poor. Their domestic flights had more comfortable and bigger seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tgsnoopy

NZstorm wrote: Tue 29/10/2019 09:35I see American Airlines is starting an Auckland Dallas service late next year. Not sure if its a year round service though. They are also starting a seasonal service Christchurch to Los Angeles.
jamie wrote: Tue 29/10/2019 20:19Yea that flight will be brilliant. In saying that tho I’m not sure what their long haul flights are like?
If it’s anything like the United flight I took from Auckland to San Fran and back again, I wouldn’t do it. I found their plane so uncomfortable and entertainment, food, poor. Their domestic flights had more comfortable and bigger seats.
I'm looking forward to it. I've flown American Airlines long haul (787-8 or 788) before, no issues. Flying into DFW is great for chasing. Not having to fly AKL-SYD-DFW/contra and the 8 or more hours it adds will be fantastic. My only reservations would be the pricing and scheduling, it might not run daily or at all in the time of the year we are interested. I don't have anything set in concrete for next years chase at this stage. I have no idea if my Canadian friends are even going, let alone if I'm welcome to join them. I've not been asked if I'd like to join any other groups. Would like to go, hopefully it pans out ok. 2021 I will be making an effort one way or another for my own reasons, having an AA flight option will be a bonus then for sure.

I have been asked about ChaserCon & how I can afford it. I am having a very short trip as it is very very hard for me to get leave then. Traditionally ChaserCon would be two weeks later (around Valentines Day/Presidents day?) and I'd have longer leave available then. Irony, being in the US on Super Bowl weekend, sadly I'll be checked in at DFW waiting to fly to SFO on my way home when they kick off. I managed a very good deal, fly TRG - AKL - LAX - DEN and DEN - SFO - AKL - TRG for only NZ$1750.35 the Conference is US$130 (NZ$205) and the hotel US$99 a night (NZ$361.10 incl the tax we forget about in total). It isn't a big deal as I'm lucky enough to have a reasonably high disposable income (Long may that continue, I hope). So I'm up for NZ$2320 approx thus far with a self set 3K or less budget. I finish work 4.30 Fri 31st Jan, fly from TRG at 7.40, AKL to LAX with Air NZ, LAX to DEN with United arriving 7.25pm Fri 31st. Registration is Fri night, should be at the hotel in time before it closes at 9pm. Sat is the main day, including the dinner & keynote speaker that evening, it's included in the registration price. Sun morning was forecasting last year (over my head most of the time, but I did learn a little), Sun afternoon was people sharing media & showing it etc. I fly out at 5.15pm on the Sunday with United to SFO, United to AKL, then of course Air NZ to TRG.

This might be the very last ChaserCon, having attended one this year and having finally met many other chasers I've conversed with online, I'd recommend it just for that. I was going to rave about the keynote speaker etc, but found it was the 2019 list (hopefully 2020 will be as good). Roger & Caryn Hill won't be running another, but why risk it, someone else might run with the ball, maybe not. But C&R Hill won't, they've said after 22 years, it's time to hang up the gauntlet. I'd love to see another NZ/AU chaser (Jane & Clyve excluded, sorry, look forward to seeing you there again) I know there. Heck I even have a room I paid for with a spare bed you can share if that's what it takes.

Ok, re flights... We all have our favorite site... But let me say to you... SEARCH! search hard. One you should include is save70.com (had great success via this one) this year it lead me to fly365.com which delivered the best deal. Same applies when over there for your motel. Consider joining the NRA (SERIOUSLY!) they get great accommodation discounts, often blitzing what you get on the group websites etc.

Always remember, you can't take your money with you, who knows what tomorrow might deliver. Maybe that trip you keep putting off (doesn't just apply to Chasing) will never happen. If you can make it happen, make it happen sooner rather than later.

Yep, I might sound like I'm on commission, I'm not, my advice is based upon my own observations. I'm not a Meteorologist, I don't know squat about forecasting. But I love storms & severe weather. Hope to see you in some weather event in the future.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

I see American's Auckland Dallas flight is only seasonal October to March. Maybe they will extend it in the future but AirNZ Houston flight probably has it covered commercially.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

I think the Quantas flight into Dallas works very well, arrival day is usually a chase day and the price is under $1500 return Auckland via Sydney.
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

NZstorm wrote: Wed 30/10/2019 06:15 I see American's Auckland Dallas flight is only seasonal October to March. Maybe they will extend it in the future but AirNZ Houston flight probably has it covered commercially.
AA will be cheaper and more Americans would use this service rather than Kiwis. There two flight announcements were both aimed at there America customers.

I'm not chasing next year. But plan to be back 2021
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Great clip here. Using the skew-t and hodograph to predict the storm structure from the Tornado Titans. Well worth a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTUCkK7 ... e=emb_logo
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

Good watch that video. I learned lots about hodographs

NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Website here with predictions for spring 2020 (Mar-May).

The forecaster expects an early start to the severe weather season in 2020 and a more active season that normal possible in Oklahoma/Kansas.

Not sure about the track record in forecasting but the URL has 84K followers so they are doing something right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g1h1eia7ZY&t
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

Big day today over there. Very early spring like setup in the depths of winter. Very odd.

Awhituobs

Unread post by Awhituobs »

they have been getting more warm and way warmer weather than normal in midwest and eastern USA last 2 weeks with a blocking pattern
but that is about to all change
I should go this year as I do not have as many trees to plant this year!
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Forecast sounding from the NAM for western Alabama this morning where tornadoes have occurred.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rogue

Unread post by Rogue »

Planning on a trip this year, currently have one other keen for a 2 week trip. I might do a short 2 week trip, or look at doing 2 x 2 week blocks with an airport drop off/pick up in the middle. Get in touch if you are keen!
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

I know Brian and Neill are keen. At this point I’m out because of impending drought and now having to go to PERTH for a wedding in October.

tgsnoopy

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/a- ... li=BBnbcA1
I've done my online check in. Snow looks to be problematic Monday, so I'm glad I'm leaving Sunday evening.
Denver weather.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Snow over the southern plains today. OKC has its biggest snowfall in 10 years, 5inches.

Spwill and I are going this year but aim to be flexible with our timing.

How was chasercon Neil?
tgsnoopy

NZstorm wrote: Thu 06/02/2020 10:10How was ChaserCon Neill?
Very good! Travel to wasn't uneventful. After a very bumpy flight over the pacific we were stuck on the Apron at LAX waiting for our gate, when not one but two A380's (Korean & Emirates) went to their gates ahead of us. Additional (for Corona Virus) security screening at LAX really slowed things down, watched my connecting flights boarding time come & go whilst stuck in huge queues. Was lucky enough that the airline expedited my process through, ran from Tom Bradley to United terminal 7, was met & got presented my boarding pass & sent through TSA Precheck and I literally boarded the aircraft and they closed the door. Flight to Denver was also bumpy & I thought my bag wouldn't make it, was surprised & very pleased it did.

Didn't notice the clock in my room was about 20 minutes slow & sadly missed most of Rogers opening comments (8am). Justin Hughes (AlisonHouse) was first up on Applications and Data (8.15 to 8.45). Patrick Kerrin gave a good presentation on 90's chasing, from the dark ages to new millennium (8.45 to 9.45), was extremely good, described plugging into EFT-POS terminals phone lead to download data, Accoustic Couplers on payphones and suchlike. Many younger chasers were very surprised at lack of data & connectivity. Short break (Yay for the Starbucks in the hotel). Dr Jason Persoffs from the good old days and beyond followed similar themes to the prior presenter with some great stories (10 to 11am). Dr Josh Wurman and colleague Dr Karen Kosiba spoke next, great presentation, had no idea they used the DOW's to observe/measure hurricanes, have taken them down to South America etc. Coverend new developments etc (11am to 12pm). They had a DOW there we all got to climb over (I had already in 2015 though). Ryan Shephard also had his TIV(2) there.

Lunch was interesting, the NZStormchasers T Shirt helped me meet many chasers in person I know online (1 to 1.15pm), sandwiches were the order of the day, my Turkey BLT was awesum. 1.15 to 2.15 saw Dr Greg Forbes give a presentation on some of the history of chasing & his involvement with Mr Tornado (Ted Fujita, when wen named Mr Tornado hadn't seen one, how excited he was when he finally did) also Mr Rogers and StormMasterG. I later commented in person how sad I was with it being the last ChaserCon & his final full retirement at the conclusion of last years chase season I may not met him again. We had a short break. Then Tim Marshall, always the show man he appeared as Doc from Back to the Future (last year had a basketball player come out as Chewbacca, everyone thinking it was him, only to join a short time later as Hans Solo). His Back to the Futurecast was very interesting. But most presentations including his were themed on history, getting back to basics, being safe etc. (2.30 to 3.30pm). Final afternoon session was from Jon Davies, he looked very deeply at the May 28th 2019 tornadoes near Lawrence KS. Essentially, post other material and looking at the detailed analysis showing comparisons between that event, multiple photo's from different angles etc I felt a lot like the video analysis by Skip Talbot I had posted earlier was a personal attack in the end. Roger & Caryn Hill then spoke openly about the incident that day were a rain wrapped tornado impacted two of their tour vans. It was the first time they had spoken publicly. Long story short, it could happen to any of us & they were keen to pass on the danger we all weren't as aware of as we could be & wanted to prevent a repeat (thank heavens no one was seriously hurt). That wound down closer to 5, later than intended. I tried to record all of that part but have a chunk missing as my memory card filled up & I didn't notice straight away (I have given a copy to Caryn & intend to let Jamie listen to what I have).

Dinner was ok that evening, with some fresh faces who joined just for that. Roger was the Keynote speaker, going in to the history of ChaserCon & giving a Final Farewell talk, including why ChaserCon was trademarked & would not be used by someone else in the future. I & many others were evicted from the bar at about 3am.

Sunday I didn't get in there (not for trying, we were busy talking in the hall) until 8.45am for the talk by Dave Lewison, Chase/Life Balance, How do you make it work? It seems SDS as we joke about is very real for some people and suicide is over-represented. Earlier Dr Jason Persoff (MD) had offered a number anyone could call for help, sadly I didn't record it. 9.45 to 10.45 say Brandon Sullivan gave a talk on Sticking to your target, with lots of practical advice and examples were it had paid dividends. Lets face it, who hasn't re positioned multiple times only to end up back where or close to where you started. We had a great example last year ourselves (Other kiwis too!) which that applied to, sadly we couldn't get back in time & missed a great tornado.Quick break then George Koronous (11am to 12pm) gave a great presentation in to Chasing Unusual Weather around the world. Note, any form of damage to your passport may prevent you accessing a country, getting it wet or bent are the top two that could be problematic. George Concluded saying he was looking for someone to travel to South Africa with him to access a Volcano... I suggested Justin Noonan & have also conveyed same to Justin, fingers crossed for him as his Vanuatu experience was ruined when the Lava lake drained. Roger closed up, I Ubered to the airport for my flight to San Francisco and watched the SuperBowl in a suitable clubroom. I'm not sad the 49'ers didn't do so well as I know plenty of ecstatic chasers who wanted the Chiefs to win, was a very interesting experience. Flight back over the Pacific was again a bit bumpy in places.
tgsnoopy

Lightning anyone? :-)
tgsnoopy

You know you've arrived in Tornado Alley in Denver International Airport (Shelters feature on signage).
DEN TS.jpg
The DOW was running, albeit at reduced power, I think the images might hasve been saved ones on the screens though ;-)
DOW1.jpg
DOW2.jpg
DOW3.jpg
Ryan Shephard has bought TIV2 off Sean Casey post his twister movies.
TIV.jpg
There was a great susnet on the Saturday night, phone pic with auto settings doesn't do it justice.
DEN Sunset.jpg
In a "Clubroom"at SFO watching the Superbowl (had just finished at that point, I'd gone to SFO from DEN on an earlier flight & scored a $US125 voucher for doing so, it seems they needed my seat on the later flight).
SF Beer.jpg
Last edited by tgsnoopy on Fri 07/02/2020 17:09, edited 1 time in total.
tgsnoopy

Rogue wrote: Sun 12/01/2020 11:59 Planning on a trip this year, currently have one other keen for a 2 week trip. I might do a short 2 week trip, or look at doing 2 x 2 week blocks with an airport drop off/pick up in the middle. Get in touch if you are keen!
jamie wrote: Sun 12/01/2020 12:15 I know Brian and Neill are keen. At this point I’m out because of impending drought and now having to go to PERTH for a wedding in October.
FWIW, at this point I'm likely to be rejoining my Canadian friends again to chase this year.